Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Single front rotor on baggers...  (Read 7651 times)

MikeD

Single front rotor on baggers...
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:40:44 PM »

I have seen an abundant amount of custom baggers going with a single front rotor when changing rims.  Most of the riders here have stuck with the dual discs, anyone had experience on a single rotor front wheel?   Curious about the braking, handling, etc.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Single front rotor on baggers...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:03:12 AM »

I have seen an abundant amount of custom baggers going with a single front rotor when changing rims.  Most of the riders here have stuck with the dual discs, anyone had experience on a single rotor front wheel?   Curious about the braking, handling, etc.

I have done the single 13" rotor along with a 6- piston caliper for customers on a few occasions. While them look really good I would not do it to my bike. They do not stop as well as the dual discs.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:02:13 AM »

Mike, I remember this subject coming up quite a while back.  Something about 18" front wheels and single rotors to show off the wheels, just like all the customs you see on the magazine covers.  IMHO, if you just want to show your bike it might make sense, but if you plan to ride it I wouldn't consider it.  The Touring bikes come with twin disks for one reason, and it isn't because the MoCo likes to spend money for unnecessary parts.  The latest loaded baggers tip the scales at around 850-900 lbs. before you add rider, passenger, and luggage.  Stopping all that requires a certain amount of brake mass to dissipate energy (heat).  I personally would look to increase braking performance, not reduce it by eliminating half the front brake area and mass.  Looking cool isn't worth being scraped off the side of the truck that pulled across your path, or being hauled out of the canyon after your brakes faded to the point of uselessness on that long mountain downhill.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

wizard master

• Vendor
  • Beautiful view of the NYS Thruway!!!

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • nomagicneon.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:06:44 AM »

Mike, I remember this subject coming up quite a while back.  Something about 18" front wheels and single rotors to show off the wheels, just like all the customs you see on the magazine covers.  IMHO, if you just want to show your bike it might make sense, but if you plan to ride it I wouldn't consider it.  The Touring bikes come with twin disks for one reason, and it isn't because the MoCo likes to spend money for unnecessary parts.  The latest loaded baggers tip the scales at around 850-900 lbs. before you add rider, passenger, and luggage.  Stopping all that requires a certain amount of brake mass to dissipate energy (heat).  I personally would look to increase braking performance, not reduce it by eliminating half the front brake area and mass.  Looking cool isn't worth being scraped off the side of the truck that pulled across your path, or being hauled out of the canyon after your brakes faded to the point of uselessness on that long mountain downhill.

Jerry

Couldnt of said it better myself. 

Been there, done it and will not do it again on a bike I plan to ride.  The 6-piston single will stop you OK but no where near the capability of having a pair of calipers on the front.  As good as the single looked on my 07, my 09 will stay duals!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »

Never have to much front brake.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

MikeD

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 06:51:43 PM »

I totally agree on dual discs.  Just curious of what some people have done and if the handling affects, obviously a lot due to eliminating 50% of your braking hardware up front.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 06:57:32 PM »

I like the looks of dual brakes better anyway.  Singles look like something's missing.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

hogasm

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »

I have done the single 13" rotor along with a 6- piston caliper for customers on a few occasions. While them look really good I would not do it to my bike. They do not stop as well as the dual discs. .

I have the 21" front with a 13" rotor and 6 piston caliper on the front of my 04. It does look good...doesn't stop as well as the stock set up.

When I can find an 18" front rim that resembles the detanator rim I am going back to the origional brake set up.

Now what is even worse than the single rotor is the 360 brake.......just hit the ass end of the truck stoped at the light and get it over with ::)

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 08:44:47 PM »

i agree with all the above.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 08:31:42 AM »

Could be worse than a single rotor and a 4 or 6 piston caliper, see below.

This is my "other" bagger.  It weighs in at about the same weight as my new Brembo ABS system on the SERK, but with that single piston caliper, you have to yank on the lever so hard you feel like you'll break the lever off.  I've gotten used to allowing for things to happen and I guess I have good hand strength, worked on that all my life...  :o  :o  :o

I traded bikes with the guy I bought this from originally before the restore who now rides an '03 SE Deuce and on the first country road stop sign, he ran through the stop.  He asked me if the brakes were not working and I told they work fine, but he needs more piss in the pistons to make them work better.

Now I'll have to admit I have the cheap swapmeet pads installed and was actually thinking of trying the Lyndall (spelling) pads to see what help that would be.

Anyone have the old banana calipers like this with the new aggressive brake pads?

I have a friend with a fully restored '70 FLH and it has drum brakes on it.  He said you need to start to stop a block ahead of the intersection to make it all work.

On my new boardtrack bike I'm building, I have a 13" rotor and HHI 4-piston calipers front and rear, but it is a single front setup.  I think with a bike in the 400# range I'll be okay on that setup.  But on the '76 FLH I'm probably pushing 1,200# fully loaded two up and that single banana brake just doesn't do it very well.  So count your blessings with the new single 6-piston setups as they HAVE to be better than the old style brakes.

We're getting spoiled with all the new brakes they have now.  Just think of some guy with a restored '55 Chevy running drums front/rear and then getting into a modified '55 with disc/disc setup.  Man that IS night and day.  I've done just that and you feel that the old drums aren't even working, but they drove with them for decades without power assist and then disc brakes and power assist. 

Technology is a blessing.  Think of all the lives it's saved over the many years; even in bikes.

I know that if I were in a panic situation with the '76 FLH that I could not stop as good as the SERK.  I can lock up the brakes on the FLH, but it does take mental and physical strength.

Rambling, I know, shut up...  :soapbox:

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

FastHarley

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »

Could be worse than a single rotor and a 4 or 6 piston caliper, see below.

This is my "other" bagger.  It weighs in at about the same weight as my new Brembo ABS system on the SERK, but with that single piston caliper, you have to yank on the lever so hard you feel like you'll break the lever off.  I've gotten used to allowing for things to happen and I guess I have good hand strength, worked on that all my life...  :o  :o  :o

I traded bikes with the guy I bought this from originally before the restore who now rides an '03 SE Deuce and on the first country road stop sign, he ran through the stop.  He asked me if the brakes were not working and I told they work fine, but he needs more piss in the pistons to make them work better.

Now I'll have to admit I have the cheap swapmeet pads installed and was actually thinking of trying the Lyndall (spelling) pads to see what help that would be.

Anyone have the old banana calipers like this with the new aggressive brake pads?

I have a friend with a fully restored '70 FLH and it has drum brakes on it.  He said you need to start to stop a block ahead of the intersection to make it all work.

On my new boardtrack bike I'm building, I have a 13" rotor and HHI 4-piston calipers front and rear, but it is a single front setup.  I think with a bike in the 400# range I'll be okay on that setup.  But on the '76 FLH I'm probably pushing 1,200# fully loaded two up and that single banana brake just doesn't do it very well.  So count your blessings with the new single 6-piston setups as they HAVE to be better than the old style brakes.

We're getting spoiled with all the new brakes they have now.  Just think of some guy with a restored '55 Chevy running drums front/rear and then getting into a modified '55 with disc/disc setup.  Man that IS night and day.  I've done just that and you feel that the old drums aren't even working, but they drove with them for decades without power assist and then disc brakes and power assist. 

Technology is a blessing.  Think of all the lives it's saved over the many years; even in bikes.

I know that if I were in a panic situation with the '76 FLH that I could not stop as good as the SERK.  I can lock up the brakes on the FLH, but it does take mental and physical strength.

Rambling, I know, shut up...  :soapbox:

:)  :)  :)
friend with the same problem on his 1967.  He rides his bike in the city of Fort Lauderdale where he needs braking over looks

FastHarley

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 07:53:15 PM »

We also did this to help with the handling and comfort while riding this bike:
*Carbon Fiber Wheels (F:4.2 & R: 4.6 lbs)
*320 mm front metal matrix ceramic rotors (2 lbs each)
*Radial Calipers
*Inverted front end w/26* rake/4" trail (36 lbs complete w/rotors & calipers)
*HD Street Sweeper front fender (> 1/2 lb complete w/mounts)
*Penske Shocks

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 10:00:11 PM »

We also did this to help with the handling and comfort while riding this bike:
*Carbon Fiber Wheels (F:4.2 & R: 4.6 lbs)
*320 mm front metal matrix ceramic rotors (2 lbs each)
*Radial Calipers
*Inverted front end w/26* rake/4" trail (36 lbs complete w/rotors & calipers)
*HD Street Sweeper front fender (> 1/2 lb complete w/mounts)
*Penske Shocks

That looks and sounds friggin awesome man! Great job on that front end! Actually, the whole bike looks like it's setup great! :2vrolijk_21:

Also sounds VERY expensive!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 09:29:38 PM »

90% of the riders on this site will never exceed or even get close experiencing any brake fade.
Of the other 10%..... 9% might get close to some minor fade every once in awhile and will be too busy cleaning out their shorts to ever get into too serious of a problem that compression braking wont pull them out of.
Now about the 1%, well that is why they are the 1%. You could put them on a Punch moped and they would be at the end of the run before you got through calculating your ETOA!

It is obvious if you have to ask this stupid of a question you have no business on that big of a bike in the first place! or even thinking about changing it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:32:22 PM by IronButt »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 10:05:26 PM »

90% of the riders on this site will never exceed or even get close experiencing any brake fade.
Of the other 10%..... 9% might get close to some minor fade every once in awhile and will be too busy cleaning out their shorts to ever get into too serious of a problem that compression braking wont pull them out of.
Now about the 1%, well that is why they are the 1%. You could put them on a Punch moped and they would be at the end of the run before you got through calculating your ETOA!

It is obvious if you have to ask this stupid of a question you have no business on that big of a bike in the first place! or even thinking about changing it.

Everyone has opinions, however it means a lot in how your present your opinion. Let's play nice and be respectful. Thanks.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.