Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Single front rotor on baggers...  (Read 7650 times)

MikeD

Single front rotor on baggers...
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:40:44 PM »

I have seen an abundant amount of custom baggers going with a single front rotor when changing rims.  Most of the riders here have stuck with the dual discs, anyone had experience on a single rotor front wheel?   Curious about the braking, handling, etc.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Single front rotor on baggers...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:03:12 AM »

I have seen an abundant amount of custom baggers going with a single front rotor when changing rims.  Most of the riders here have stuck with the dual discs, anyone had experience on a single rotor front wheel?   Curious about the braking, handling, etc.

I have done the single 13" rotor along with a 6- piston caliper for customers on a few occasions. While them look really good I would not do it to my bike. They do not stop as well as the dual discs.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:02:13 AM »

Mike, I remember this subject coming up quite a while back.  Something about 18" front wheels and single rotors to show off the wheels, just like all the customs you see on the magazine covers.  IMHO, if you just want to show your bike it might make sense, but if you plan to ride it I wouldn't consider it.  The Touring bikes come with twin disks for one reason, and it isn't because the MoCo likes to spend money for unnecessary parts.  The latest loaded baggers tip the scales at around 850-900 lbs. before you add rider, passenger, and luggage.  Stopping all that requires a certain amount of brake mass to dissipate energy (heat).  I personally would look to increase braking performance, not reduce it by eliminating half the front brake area and mass.  Looking cool isn't worth being scraped off the side of the truck that pulled across your path, or being hauled out of the canyon after your brakes faded to the point of uselessness on that long mountain downhill.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

wizard master

• Vendor
  • Beautiful view of the NYS Thruway!!!

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • nomagicneon.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:06:44 AM »

Mike, I remember this subject coming up quite a while back.  Something about 18" front wheels and single rotors to show off the wheels, just like all the customs you see on the magazine covers.  IMHO, if you just want to show your bike it might make sense, but if you plan to ride it I wouldn't consider it.  The Touring bikes come with twin disks for one reason, and it isn't because the MoCo likes to spend money for unnecessary parts.  The latest loaded baggers tip the scales at around 850-900 lbs. before you add rider, passenger, and luggage.  Stopping all that requires a certain amount of brake mass to dissipate energy (heat).  I personally would look to increase braking performance, not reduce it by eliminating half the front brake area and mass.  Looking cool isn't worth being scraped off the side of the truck that pulled across your path, or being hauled out of the canyon after your brakes faded to the point of uselessness on that long mountain downhill.

Jerry

Couldnt of said it better myself. 

Been there, done it and will not do it again on a bike I plan to ride.  The 6-piston single will stop you OK but no where near the capability of having a pair of calipers on the front.  As good as the single looked on my 07, my 09 will stay duals!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »

Never have to much front brake.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

MikeD

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 06:51:43 PM »

I totally agree on dual discs.  Just curious of what some people have done and if the handling affects, obviously a lot due to eliminating 50% of your braking hardware up front.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 06:57:32 PM »

I like the looks of dual brakes better anyway.  Singles look like something's missing.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

hogasm

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »

I have done the single 13" rotor along with a 6- piston caliper for customers on a few occasions. While them look really good I would not do it to my bike. They do not stop as well as the dual discs. .

I have the 21" front with a 13" rotor and 6 piston caliper on the front of my 04. It does look good...doesn't stop as well as the stock set up.

When I can find an 18" front rim that resembles the detanator rim I am going back to the origional brake set up.

Now what is even worse than the single rotor is the 360 brake.......just hit the ass end of the truck stoped at the light and get it over with ::)

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 08:44:47 PM »

i agree with all the above.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 08:31:42 AM »

Could be worse than a single rotor and a 4 or 6 piston caliper, see below.

This is my "other" bagger.  It weighs in at about the same weight as my new Brembo ABS system on the SERK, but with that single piston caliper, you have to yank on the lever so hard you feel like you'll break the lever off.  I've gotten used to allowing for things to happen and I guess I have good hand strength, worked on that all my life...  :o  :o  :o

I traded bikes with the guy I bought this from originally before the restore who now rides an '03 SE Deuce and on the first country road stop sign, he ran through the stop.  He asked me if the brakes were not working and I told they work fine, but he needs more piss in the pistons to make them work better.

Now I'll have to admit I have the cheap swapmeet pads installed and was actually thinking of trying the Lyndall (spelling) pads to see what help that would be.

Anyone have the old banana calipers like this with the new aggressive brake pads?

I have a friend with a fully restored '70 FLH and it has drum brakes on it.  He said you need to start to stop a block ahead of the intersection to make it all work.

On my new boardtrack bike I'm building, I have a 13" rotor and HHI 4-piston calipers front and rear, but it is a single front setup.  I think with a bike in the 400# range I'll be okay on that setup.  But on the '76 FLH I'm probably pushing 1,200# fully loaded two up and that single banana brake just doesn't do it very well.  So count your blessings with the new single 6-piston setups as they HAVE to be better than the old style brakes.

We're getting spoiled with all the new brakes they have now.  Just think of some guy with a restored '55 Chevy running drums front/rear and then getting into a modified '55 with disc/disc setup.  Man that IS night and day.  I've done just that and you feel that the old drums aren't even working, but they drove with them for decades without power assist and then disc brakes and power assist. 

Technology is a blessing.  Think of all the lives it's saved over the many years; even in bikes.

I know that if I were in a panic situation with the '76 FLH that I could not stop as good as the SERK.  I can lock up the brakes on the FLH, but it does take mental and physical strength.

Rambling, I know, shut up...  :soapbox:

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

FastHarley

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »

Could be worse than a single rotor and a 4 or 6 piston caliper, see below.

This is my "other" bagger.  It weighs in at about the same weight as my new Brembo ABS system on the SERK, but with that single piston caliper, you have to yank on the lever so hard you feel like you'll break the lever off.  I've gotten used to allowing for things to happen and I guess I have good hand strength, worked on that all my life...  :o  :o  :o

I traded bikes with the guy I bought this from originally before the restore who now rides an '03 SE Deuce and on the first country road stop sign, he ran through the stop.  He asked me if the brakes were not working and I told they work fine, but he needs more piss in the pistons to make them work better.

Now I'll have to admit I have the cheap swapmeet pads installed and was actually thinking of trying the Lyndall (spelling) pads to see what help that would be.

Anyone have the old banana calipers like this with the new aggressive brake pads?

I have a friend with a fully restored '70 FLH and it has drum brakes on it.  He said you need to start to stop a block ahead of the intersection to make it all work.

On my new boardtrack bike I'm building, I have a 13" rotor and HHI 4-piston calipers front and rear, but it is a single front setup.  I think with a bike in the 400# range I'll be okay on that setup.  But on the '76 FLH I'm probably pushing 1,200# fully loaded two up and that single banana brake just doesn't do it very well.  So count your blessings with the new single 6-piston setups as they HAVE to be better than the old style brakes.

We're getting spoiled with all the new brakes they have now.  Just think of some guy with a restored '55 Chevy running drums front/rear and then getting into a modified '55 with disc/disc setup.  Man that IS night and day.  I've done just that and you feel that the old drums aren't even working, but they drove with them for decades without power assist and then disc brakes and power assist. 

Technology is a blessing.  Think of all the lives it's saved over the many years; even in bikes.

I know that if I were in a panic situation with the '76 FLH that I could not stop as good as the SERK.  I can lock up the brakes on the FLH, but it does take mental and physical strength.

Rambling, I know, shut up...  :soapbox:

friend with the same problem on his 1967.  He rides his bike in the city of Fort Lauderdale where he needs braking over looks

FastHarley

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 07:53:15 PM »

We also did this to help with the handling and comfort while riding this bike:
*Carbon Fiber Wheels (F:4.2 & R: 4.6 lbs)
*320 mm front metal matrix ceramic rotors (2 lbs each)
*Radial Calipers
*Inverted front end w/26* rake/4" trail (36 lbs complete w/rotors & calipers)
*HD Street Sweeper front fender (> 1/2 lb complete w/mounts)
*Penske Shocks

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 10:00:11 PM »

We also did this to help with the handling and comfort while riding this bike:
*Carbon Fiber Wheels (F:4.2 & R: 4.6 lbs)
*320 mm front metal matrix ceramic rotors (2 lbs each)
*Radial Calipers
*Inverted front end w/26* rake/4" trail (36 lbs complete w/rotors & calipers)
*HD Street Sweeper front fender (> 1/2 lb complete w/mounts)
*Penske Shocks

That looks and sounds friggin awesome man! Great job on that front end! Actually, the whole bike looks like it's setup great! :2vrolijk_21:

Also sounds VERY expensive!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 09:29:38 PM »

90% of the riders on this site will never exceed or even get close experiencing any brake fade.
Of the other 10%..... 9% might get close to some minor fade every once in awhile and will be too busy cleaning out their shorts to ever get into too serious of a problem that compression braking wont pull them out of.
Now about the 1%, well that is why they are the 1%. You could put them on a Punch moped and they would be at the end of the run before you got through calculating your ETOA!

It is obvious if you have to ask this stupid of a question you have no business on that big of a bike in the first place! or even thinking about changing it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:32:22 PM by IronButt »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 10:05:26 PM »

90% of the riders on this site will never exceed or even get close experiencing any brake fade.
Of the other 10%..... 9% might get close to some minor fade every once in awhile and will be too busy cleaning out their shorts to ever get into too serious of a problem that compression braking wont pull them out of.
Now about the 1%, well that is why they are the 1%. You could put them on a Punch moped and they would be at the end of the run before you got through calculating your ETOA!

It is obvious if you have to ask this stupid of a question you have no business on that big of a bike in the first place! or even thinking about changing it.

Everyone has opinions, however it means a lot in how your present your opinion. Let's play nice and be respectful. Thanks.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 09:25:21 PM »

Everyone has opinions, however it means a lot in how your present your opinion. Let's play nice and be respectful. Thanks.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

It was not an effort to offend anyone. It was an effort to wake someone up to the fact if they don’t know how their own riding might be affected by removing one front rotor; they have no business riding a bike! If they think going to a public forum to find an answer to such a critical situation and will rely on that to decide if they should modify their bike, then they are short on common sense and I feel obligated to point it out.

If they have no idea about how their riding style effects the equipment they are operating they are asleep at the wheel and shouldn’t be on 2 in the first place and defiantly not even thinking about being cool or DEAD with half the braking. Every time I am at the shop there are plenty of dressers wadded up by RUBs to fill the back room. Look on ebay plenty of crashed bikes there also. 90%+ of them are baggers with front-end damage.
Every run you go to now a days people die from accidents caused by riders that just passed a MSF course at 50 years old and bought a 700+ pound death machine to get past menopause or over a receding hair line! Most people I know avoid most runs for this reason.

So if my comment offends someone and saves their life in the process, I will take a little spanking for saying what 10% of the real riders on this site are thinking!

If you aren’t cool enough on your new toy; Go ahead and do the big wheel and single rotor- JUST DON’T KILL ANYONE OTHER THAN YOURSELF IN THE PROCESS! Especially anyone on this site, they are real nice and sometimes too nice to state the obvious even if it would save your life!

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 10:46:17 PM »

Well, I know better than enter a thread like this, but just call me stupid.

1st there is a wide variety of skilled riders on this forum, and many modify their bikes for lots of different reasons.

I really doubt anybody believes removing a second disc on the front end would help braking, but I think the question would be how much of a detriment it would be.

Now you would not see me do this to a bike for cosmetic reasons (just me), but I would say that a 900 lb bagger would still stop better with one front disk than an old bike with a front drum brake .

They really could make you fill your pants if you did not pay attention and doubt you would chastise anyone for riding a vintage bike.

I just do not like separating bikers by names like Rub or others.

We all ride and that is what we have in common and we do not all have the same skill level, but we all started sometime.

I will admit that riding in some situations with lesser skilled riders is a challenge, but I remember that a long time ago I was one of them also.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 07:53:50 AM »

The subject is 'single front rotor on baggers' and I can't help but wonder why (other than for looks) the moco has only one front rotor on one of their very popular styles - the Heritage Softail Classic which weighs in at 718 dry vs the Street Glide which weighs in at 773 dry or the Ultra which weighs in at 852 dry. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

hogasm

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 06:05:57 PM »

The subject is 'single front rotor on baggers' and I can't help but wonder why (other than for looks) the moco has only one front rotor on one of their very popular styles - the Heritage Softail Classic which weighs in at 718 dry vs the Street Glide which weighs in at 773 dry or the Ultra which weighs in at 852 dry. 

That was one of the selling points of the single rotor when I did mine back in early 05.

PM advertised that going to a single 13" rotor and their 6 piston caliper you would only loose 15% of frontal stopping power.

This would still be more stopping power than a Heritage, which many hard core riders loaded down and took the journey to Sturgis or some other rally.

Iron Butt...I more than likely fall into the upper ind of your 9% of the riders that have more than many times experienced brake fading, with both a single and twin front rotor/caliper. I am going back to the twin set up for the simple reason that it works much better. Doesn't look better, but works better.

There is no more better experience on a scoot than to get your butt in the saddle and ride. About every time my azz is in the saddle I experience something new...learn from the experience and hope to be a better rider next time I am in the saddle.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 01:31:40 PM »

That was one of the selling points of the single rotor when I did mine back in early 05.

PM advertised that going to a single 13" rotor and their 6 piston caliper you would only loose 15% of frontal stopping power.

This would still be more stopping power than a Heritage, which many hard core riders loaded down and took the journey to Sturgis or some other rally.
Iron Butt...I more than likely fall into the upper ind of your 9% of the riders that have more than many times experienced brake fading, with both a single and twin front rotor/caliper. I am going back to the twin set up for the simple reason that it works much better. Doesn't look better, but works better.

There is no more better experience on a scoot than to get your butt in the saddle and ride. About every time my azz is in the saddle I experience something new...learn from the experience and hope to be a better rider next time I am in the saddle.

Yessir.  Fill the bags, add a tour pak and/or strap a T-Bag on the passenger pillion and you're loaded almost as much as an Ultra.  I've ridden with several folks on Heritages and I don't think they stop all that well with just one binder up front.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 01:58:31 PM »

I'm going to apologize up front for the line I've taken in this post.  It may lean towards sarcastic, but I do think I have some valid points...

The picture that Ironbutt reference is a twin front disc bike and it's still smucked up.  So what's the point?

I think one of the big answers here on that would be very much like the realstate saying, location, location location, but in our case it's defense, defense, defense.  You have to stay alert and watch the surroundings you're riding in.

Off subject just a bit, when I lived in Michigan, all my life until '02, I could drive down the freeways in my central Michigan area without paying much attention to anything on the road.  You could take your eyes off the road and gaze at homes or nature itself.  When I moved here to the greater St. Louis area and drive freeways every day, if you take you eyes off the road for even a couple seconds, your up someone's arse windshield deep.  The traffic stops at least 4 or 5 times in my 25 mile journey each way.  It's the way it is in a big city.  I guess my roots are still in the country.

My question is this to everyone here, if you can lock up and FEEL that point with either the front or rear wheel at any time regardless of type of brake setup, is that not sufficient to do the job?

I know, brake fade is greatly reduced with more cooling area and twin disc's have twice the cooling surface, so that alone will help brake fade; oh pads do it as well.

But under normal or even panic stops, brake fade is usually not a problem.  Just about any brake system will stop once any given time without fade.  Brake fade is usually associated with repetitive high speed stopping and more and more loss of brakes every application due to fade.

So is it "feel" of the brakes, less effort etc?  I know after riding my old single banana disc equipped '76 FLH and then getting on the new SERK, I about put myself over the handlebars.  I've had to hit the FLH hard and have chirped the tires on it several times.  But this is no different than switching cars or trucks to different manufacturers braking system, some work with a light touch, other require more effort.

I think my BIG question is if you can lock em up, what more do you really need to be safe?

Keep in mind I didn't say, what more do you want?  Yes power brakes stop easier than manual brakes, but they will both stop the same with the appropriate amount of force.

Sorry for being a jerk with this question, I know twin brakes are best and I love them, but really, what do you need to be safe?  I also know that traction is master, if you're running skinny 21" front rubber, it will NOT stop the same as the 16" wide tires most baggers run.

Also, I read somewhere this past summer that most fatal bike accidents are single vehicle, meaning no other vehicle other than the bike.  They also stated that more than half of the fatal accidents involved excessive amounts of booze.

I'm not bringing up ABS here other than I read several reviews of the '08s when ABS was announced.  They interviewed a test rider that tested the ABS bike at Harley and he said that if he had the ABS turned off he could stop the bike quicker than with the ABS turned on...  But he went on to say that it was under test conditions and he was alert and knew what he wanted to do and could concentrate 120% on what he was doing.  Then he said that if under shear panic conditions, that average guy would do way better WITH ABS than without.  The comment was that in a panic straight up stop, the ABS is a no brainer, literally a no brainer; hit both pedals and hang on.

I think the key is to recognize a dangerous situation and try to reduce your exposure.  Defense, defense, defense, expect the unexpected, all the time...

I guess short of rubber on the ground, I feel safe with a bike if I can operate the brakes to a lockup point without pulling a muscle to do it.  I'm a strong guy and my FLH boards on pulling a muscle or two, but at least right now, I still feel safe riding it two up knowing I can stop it or at least lay rubber front and rear.  Yes, I know that the hairy edge of stopping is just starting to leave a bit of rubber but not a full lock up.

I'll get of my  :soapbox: now and let you all reply...

PS:

Boy after reading what I wrote, I left myself wide open.  I was just thinking about the tests they did with the Wing at Lyndall with their brake pads and the factory pads.  Stopping distance decreased a lot with only changing out the pads.  So if you could lock up the tires with the factory pads, then why would you stop quicker with the Lyndall pads?

Okay guys, I've got very broad shoulders and can take, let me know how your really feel...

:o  :o  :o
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 02:29:52 PM »

Dan, all valid points, no flame here..... :soapbox:approved
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

FastHarley

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 12:35:28 AM »

I think my BIG question is if you can lock em up, what more do you really need to be safe?.... Yes, I know that the hairy edge of stopping is just starting to leave a bit of rubber but not a full lock up.

If you can get right on the edge and “feel” it right before lock up than you do not need to spend any more money.  You have what you need. 

This thread was reducing the braking by taking off a rotor and caliper, however. 
I have seen an abundant amount of custom baggers going with a single front rotor when changing rims.  Most of the riders here have stuck with the dual discs, anyone had experience on a single rotor front wheel?
I do not believe that any single rotor other than a perimeter (which I have not tried) can not almost “Lock-Up” the front wheel when ridden like the bike could be as it was designed for.  A touring bike could be used by a 300 lb guy who now has enough money to buy a $40K + bike and bring along his high school bride who is now 200 lbs and who brings along another 50~75 lbs of crap with her for the day.  I say could be used by as these bikes are designed for a great many assorted people.

I know that a Brembo/300 mm 08~Current bike can not (one rotor).  I know that this bike I built for a person can not.  It is a 650 lb 2006 Dyna (Blue Bike) that I put dual Brembo/300 mm on w/Lyndall Gold pads & braided SS lined.  I also know that a single rotor on my FXR (red bike) with Radial mount $2,165.18 Brembo (single bullet mono-block) 32/36 2 Pad Axial Billet Radial Front Caliper on a 320 Metal Matrix Ceramic 320 mm rotor can not (not shown in photo).

Another point everyone has not brought up is right before lock-up a single caliper tends to turn whereas a dual caliper/rotor will keep straight.  Try going through sand over asphalt like in the keys to verify.

If you feel safe riding with a single front rotor, just do it.  I ran a Sportster with no front brake back in the day with a 12” spoked wheel on a 50” over girder (Cherry) and never hit anything.  I just don’t do it any longer.  If you ride a bike with caution and take into consideration the limitations of your bike in a perfect world, you will never have any problems.  The rub comes when something unplanned happens, than the other shoe drops.  If you ride a lot than it is not if but when it will happen.  Keep your own counsel on this.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:41:15 AM by FastHarley »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »

Very interesting OPINIONS in this thread.  I'll just add that I ride a SEEG that still retains the stock dual discs and jam thru the mountains every summer numerous times with a pal that has removed one of his discs on a SEEG (for looks only) and he's never suffered noticeably thus far in the performance of lengthy hard mountain riding.  :)  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »

Very interesting OPINIONS in this thread.  I'll just add that I ride a SEEG that still retains the stock dual discs and jam thru the mountains every summer numerous times with a pal that has removed one of his discs on a SEEG (for looks only) and he's never suffered noticeably thus far in the performance of lengthy hard mountain riding.  :)  har!  spyder

Are dual discs better than single? Of course. But ya get used to, and make use of what ya got! You get used to the stopping distances required with everything you ride/drive. And you ride within those limitations. Are better brakes better? Of course. But if ya got no brakes at all, you realize that, stay away from everything, and get that thing stopped somehow. Guys I know ride with no front brake at all on choppas. Can they pull the stunts I do with my triple rotors and triple 6-piston caliper setup? Of course not! I think this is what Dan's been trying to say. You always ride within your ability and adjust to everything accordingly. This includes the brakes or lack thereof! Personally, I want as much stopping power as possible! But I like to go as fast as possible too. So that makes the most sense for me. But my street bikes all have single rotors. Do I ride any differently on them? HELL NO!!! But I stop differently with them! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 09:16:26 PM »

Are dual discs better than single? Of course. But ya get used to, and make use of what ya got! You get used to the stopping distances required with everything you ride/drive. And you ride within those limitations. Are better brakes better? Of course. But if ya got no brakes at all, you realize that, stay away from everything, and get that thing stopped somehow. Guys I know ride with no front brake at all on choppas. Can they pull the stunts I do with my triple rotors and triple 6-piston caliper setup? Of course not! I think this is what Dan's been trying to say. You always ride within your ability and adjust to everything accordingly. This includes the brakes or lack thereof! Personally, I want as much stopping power as possible! But I like to go as fast as possible too. So that makes the most sense for me. But my street bikes all have single rotors. Do I ride any differently on them? HELL NO!!! But I stop differently with them! ;)

Hoist! 8)
I'm confused.  :confused5: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 09:45:04 PM »

I'm confused.  :confused5: har!  spyder

Spyder, Howie is distinguishing his "highway" or touring bike from his "street" bike.  In other words he's taking a risk of hurting Joy's feelings and he should be very ashamed :huepfenlol2: .

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 09:51:31 PM »

Spyder, Howie is distinguishing his "highway" or touring bike from his "street" bike.  In other words he's taking a risk of hurting Joy's feelings and he should be very ashamed :huepfenlol2: .
thanks.  too many scooters for me to keep up with, I guess.  'street'/'hwy'/..... sin loy/ so solly, GI.  :-[  har!  spyder

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 10:05:07 AM »

Hoist! 8)

Just as Howie said, you ride / drive within your limits.  There will always be the time when someone turns in front of you and you have 20' to do your thing, but you plow into them regardless of how many brakes you have on your vehicle.  Rubber necking and gawking at the scenery is just as dangerous as no brakes.  We have to stay alert on these things or there WILL be problems, period.

On my '40 Willys, I had Wilwood 4-piston calipers on all four corners and they weren't power assisted.  Even my wife had no issues with the setup.  Would power assist been better, yes, but come on, they look like crap and are hard to work with on a blower motor.

My whole point wasn't what would happen if you took off one of your disc/rotors, but if you only have one, whatever it is and you can still lock'em up, you should be okay.  Like Howie's friend with the one removed front end setup, he has safe and cool looking ride without issues.  And again like Howie said, nobody would argue the issue, is two better than one, that just goes without saying.  It all boils down to the feel and effort to stop.  Not that drum brakes won't lock up tires, they will, but you better have about 300# pedal force to do it.

I told you guys before about when I traded bikes with the original owner of my '76 FLH for about 20 miles, but here it is again.  When he came to the first stop sign on my bike he blew right through it.  Once he got my bike stopped he asked if my brakes were even working.  His new bike is an '03 SE Deuce with lots better brakes.  I told him to use them a bit to get the "feel" of them and after that he was prepared for them and did just fine.  But as I said in my last post on this subject, I have no problems squealing the tires on it when braking, but I'm used to it.

Sorry for just repeating the obvious here...   :soapbox:  :soapbox:  :soapbox:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 21 queries.