Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front fork rebuild and option questions  (Read 1374 times)

Yellowjacket

Front fork rebuild and option questions
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:38:23 AM »

I'm about to do the rebuild on the front forks of my 05 SE glide and was curious if anyone had drilled (enlarged) the rebound holes in the damper tubes for better response.

Thanks,

YJ

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Front fork rebuild and option questions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:32:13 AM »

I drilled mine on the 04 when I did a race tech gold emulator kit.  Use a drill press.  I didn't like the kit so I took it out new damping rod where that much to go back to stock.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:03:46 AM »

I'm about to do the rebuild on the front forks of my 05 SE glide and was curious if anyone had drilled (enlarged) the rebound holes in the damper tubes for better response.

Thanks,

YJ

What are you trying to accomplish YJ?  Drilling the holes oversize will just reduce the already weak damping unless you go with heavier oil, and without some sort of scientific method to determine hole size and oil viscosity the odds of accidently coming up with a decent suspension with proper balance between compression and rebound are almost nil.  A better approach would be to look at one of the cartridge conversions that have been properly engineered for your bike.  Or if you feel like investing a big chunk of cash, check out the threads on the Traxxion fork kits.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Yellowjacket

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 07:39:05 PM »

Jerry,

Going through the same process I used to with race bikes. Went to progressive springs and went thru a series of adjustments with spacer length until I got the desired results and then did adjustments with fork oil by using different standard and mixed weights. Now just trying to fine tune rebound damping response, so the questions.

Mr Magoo,

Would you share your impression of the race tech emulators?

Yj

FastHarley

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 08:37:06 AM »

Mr Magoo, you are 100% correct.  We would weld & try when there was no other options available back then.  Never liked progressively would springs though.  Now there are options such as cartridges made by Motorcycle Metal, for cheaper Race Tech, and of course throw the whole front end on e-Bay and install inverted forks with radial brakes & 320 rotors.  All you have to do is spend $ to get as comfortable as you want.  What was the problem with the Race Tech?  for the cheap money they are hard to beat.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:13:30 AM »

Was not impressed was a real hassle to adjust once on the bike and removed them and went with progressive spring and 20 wt oil.  Still have the race tech setup.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.