Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 into 1 systems HYPE & BULL  (Read 2090 times)

Geezer 1941

2 into 1 systems HYPE & BULL
« on: August 23, 2005, 12:21:49 PM »

Here is a copy of a letter I sent to a large circulation bike mag.  

How about doing an article on 2 into 1 exhaust systems, there has to be about 15 companies that produce these systems, such as Bassani, Thunder Headers, Super Trapp Super Megs, Super Trapp Kerkers, and RB Racing LSR Pro Stock system, just to mention a few.   The smoke and mirrors, pertaining to the gain of 2 into 1 system, over other dual exhaust systems, is absolutely astonishing.  Every manufacturer claims more horsepower and Torque, then the next guy.   Confusion has reigned over the real story of power gains for 2 into 1 systems, when compared to one another, has lead to complete confusion as to which system will give you the most bang for the buck.  Some have tunable baffles, and or disks, some do not, but in any case the should all be tested on the same bike.   The idea bike would be something like a Harley Davidson with the TC88 engine, stock or Stage 1 or 2.  THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT ALL TESTS ARE ON THE SAME BIKE.   I would like to see once and for all, the REAL DYNO, results from the different systems.   With the EFI engines, of today, you can no longer throw on a set of pipes and tune the carburetor.  With today

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
Re: 2 into 1 systems HYPE & BULL
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 12:37:25 PM »

i have original CHOPPER MAGAZINES from early 70"s - there is already an article in there that researched the 2 into 1 concept - effecienty - horspower attributes - POWER - I can dig this out - scan it and send it to you - if I recall correctly this was in 69 they wrote this article. if you were around back then some of this will give you a flashback of what was around - how about an add for a rolling chassis with fuel tank and oil tank - spoke wheels for $795.00  - I keep these cause the centerfolds were works of art (not the flesh twolane) the paint work - lace work - molding - absolute materpieces.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 01:31:21 PM »

Geezer,

Thank you for making such a noble effort!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 01:40:04 PM »

AM I OFF BASE HERE, OR AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WOULD LIKE SEE THIS CLEARED UP?

Geezer 1941
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 02:01:53 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 05:33:25 PM »

Great letter...I would buy the magazine if they did the article...actually I wish I had a article like that right now...I just wish they could be more decriptive in their articles.

Everthing I read on articles or threads about pipes are vague at best. It would be nice to see the loudness in db at idle, half, and full throttle to compare loudness. If you hear one than you could judge other sight unseen for loudness. And these guys are writers and wont just say that this pipe dont do...potatoe,potatoe,potatoe...or it goes thump,thump,thump or put,put,put at high mid or low frequency. I know that wont descibe it perfect, but I could at least rule out half of the aftermarket...maybe even narrow it down to a few.

Maybe the magazine is paid to be vague so we will have to buy a few pipes before we get it right...I dont know.  All said...a good decriptive writer,without bias,writing a article like the one suggested above...would be refreshing. [smiley=confused5.gif]
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

sailordb

• Ride hard-live free
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 08:24:35 PM »

Maybe some one like "Consumer Reports" or "Under Writers Lab." How to get them to do it: I have no idea.
If you ain't having fun you're in the wrong place.

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 04:37:27 AM »

Cycle world did a pipe comparison a few years back. 03 I think. Didnt Road Rider do a comparison called 3 for the road or something like that that came out in june of 05?. A full comprehensive pipe comparison would take some major planning and BIG BUCKS. I am all for seeing it happen.
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 08:55:34 AM »

Cycle world did a pipe comparison a few years back. 03 I think. Didnt Road Rider do a comparison called 3 for the road or something like that that came out in june of 05?. A full comprehensive pipe comparison would take some major planning and BIG BUCKS. I am all for seeing it happen.

That would really be great.....same dyno, same tuners doing the tuning.......just more reliable information.

By the way, that was American Rider magazine that did the "3 For The Road" exhaust comparison but that was only between three different systems.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 09:20:20 AM »

By the time they rounded up 5 or 6 systems, spend time dynoing all of em, and finally getting it to print, there would be 2 or 3 new systems on the market.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 09:23:52 AM »

By the time they rounded up 5 or 6 systems, spend time dynoing all of em, and finally getting it to print, there would be 2 or 3 new systems on the market.

That's OK - take the top selling 5 or 6 systems and test them.  At least there would be a baseline for the most popular systems.  If Consumer Reports decided not to test cars, appliances, etc. because there was a new model coming out, we would never get unbiased reports (and they would be out of business).
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 11:07:12 AM »

Probably not as comprehensive as your request but it is something

2020 Scorched Orange Limited

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 22 queries.