Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NOS & EFI  (Read 3041 times)

arty1941

NOS & EFI
« on: August 24, 2005, 09:40:01 AM »

Anyone out there have a NOS system on their EFI Harley?  I have the 107 build with the Kuryakyn 57mm EFI throttle body installed as one of the upgrades, and I want to install a NOS system (2-10oz bottles).   The problem is I cannot seem to find anyone who has done it on a EFI bike with Power Commander, and how they went about Dynoing the bike and re tuning the Power Commander.

Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.
There are old riders, and there are crazy riders, but you can't find many OLD CRAZY RIDERS.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: NOS & EFI
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 11:03:17 AM »

Anyone out there have a NOS system on their EFI Harley?

Michael

• Michael's Stable
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 FLTRXSE BLACK & BLUE
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 03:42:26 AM »

The issue I see with re-tuning the PC is this. To the best of my knowledge, I could be wrong, you cannot run two maps simultameously. I realize it has been a while since I have played with the PC software. However, I havent heard of a PC that has two MAPS. Moreover, that can be switched on the fly by a signal or trigger. If it were me...I wouldnt use an off the shelf kit per-say. I would use a traditional fogger nozzle (Fuel & NOS). Buy a new throttle body, have it drilled & tapped or a bung welded on to accept the nozzle. T-Tap the fuel line, install a small fuel pump, and whatever size bottles you wish. Next, a full throttle switch or a button (I.E. Horn) and an arming switch (ACC on Dash for us SEEG Guys). Lastly, you will most certainly need it tuned. Start real fat on fuel and light on the NOS. Watch out for detonation and keep a real close eye on EGTs. Remember...Lean is Mean-Rich is Safe. As a safe precaution, I may pull a little timing out of the MAP while getting my baseline #s, then handle the jetting. Bring the timing back in when jetting is getting close. Detonation=BAD.

Im curious to see the HP#s. I had NOS on my Sea-Doo, Ski-Doo (What a pain keeping the bottle warm), GSXR, you name it. It haddnt even entered my mind for my SEEG.

Hmmm...
2012 FLTRXSE B&B
2010 Haulmark VHauler
2007 Shelby Mustang GT

Michael

• Michael's Stable
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 04:11:39 AM »

Another thought...

Correct me if I am wrong, but our EFI does not have a MAP or AIT (Manifold Absolute Pressure or Air Intake Temperature). The ECM uses throttle position and RPM for engine management. The only other reference point is oil temperature for cold start enrichening. Given this, if I am correct, again I could be wrong, but this opens up an easier install method.

With the absence of MAP & AIT sensors, this means no change in engine mamagement if the NOS charge is introduced in front of the throttle body. The ECM doesnt know its happening. Install the Fogger Nozzle in the Air Cleaner backing plate. Plenty of room for install and cheap if it gets Fu**ed Up. If you mess up the backing plate, upgrade to the new chrome one in the SE Pro Catalog, its all of $40 bucks.

Weld a bung into the backing plate. Install the NOS & FUel Nozzle to fire right through the throttle body. Im pretty sure Fogger Nozzles can be purchased with different housing lengths, possiblly angles, to accomplish this. My only precaution would be to use a full throttle activation switch!! Do not use this method with a button (I.E. Horn, etc.) This way the NOS charge will never be fired with the throttle blade closed. A big NO...NO.
2012 FLTRXSE B&B
2010 Haulmark VHauler
2007 Shelby Mustang GT

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 04:28:40 AM »

Anyone out there have a NOS system on their EFI Harley?
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

B767capt

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 06:56:44 AM »

Edelbrock has one coming soon for efi harleys.
http://www.edelbrock.com/motorcycle/nitrous/intro.shtml
Rineharts, Wood TW400G cams, SE 103+ stroker pistons, 53mm TB, PClll.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 11:09:56 AM »

Edelbrock has one coming soon for efi harleys.
http://www.edelbrock.com/motorcycle/nitrous/intro.shtml

Cap, just looked through the four pages tied to the Edelbrock link.  I must have missed the reference  to EFI.  Looked like a nicely done kit but everything I read was for carb'd applications.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 11:15:09 AM »

Cap, just looked through the four pages tied to the Edelbrock link.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 11:17:29 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 11:16:41 AM »

PERFORMER RPM WET NITROUS KITS

To complete this kit, order an Edelbrock Nitrous Plate and Frame Bracket for 12 oz. bottles only. Edelbrock Nitrous Systems are coming soon for EFI and Buells.

Knew I missed it someplace.  Probably paying more attention to the parts lists.  Which page was it on Bill?

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 11:17:53 AM »

bottom left of the first linked page
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 11:23:33 AM »

bottom left of the first linked page

Well hell, page #1?; no wonder I missed it.  That's like hidden in plain sight  [smiley=laugh.gif]

After having done three or four Edelbrock car kits over the years and liking them it's probably pretty safe to hope that this package might be pretty nice.  Will have to keep an eye out for awhile and see if their EFI actually hits the street and what it looks like.

Did you notice the accessory on one of the later pages to hide the bottle in a saddlebag?  Sleepers are fun, sure.  But on an NOS injected bike wouldn't hanging the bottle out in front everyone be half the fun  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 12:16:39 PM »

Another thought...

Correct me if I am wrong, but our EFI does not have a MAP or AIT (Manifold Absolute Pressure or Air Intake Temperature). The ECM uses throttle position and RPM for engine management. The only other reference point is oil temperature for cold start enrichening.

Michael - our stock EFI does indeed have MAP, AIT, CHT (cylinder head temp), etc.  About the only thing we don't have is mass airflow and oxygen sensors.  Once you install a Power Commander, I'm not sure if the PC ignores all of those inputs or not.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Michael

• Michael's Stable
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 03:23:27 PM »

If this is the case...then CHIT CAN my install method. Firing the charge before those sensors will cause a fury of engine management issues. You will need to install nozzles behind the sensors, which I am thinking as I type this, that would mean two nozzles, one in each intake runner.

Hmmm....
2012 FLTRXSE B&B
2010 Haulmark VHauler
2007 Shelby Mustang GT

arty1941

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 08:54:14 AM »

The issue I see with re-tuning the PC is this. To the best of my knowledge, I could be wrong, you cannot run two maps simultameously

I was chatting with a PC tech, and they told me that they were considering a 2 map memory PC.   The problem being that it will not be retro to your old PC.  I think that they are slowing coming to the conclusion that EFI owners in the future want to be able to do NOS, Blowers, and Superchargers, and want that extra map.   I understand that NOS is looking at a EFI system that will include it's own computer, and either fool the PC, or override it when the injection is occurring.

I most likely will be too old to use NOS by then....
There are old riders, and there are crazy riders, but you can't find many OLD CRAZY RIDERS.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.