Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PINGING / DETONATION  (Read 2318 times)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
PINGING / DETONATION
« on: August 28, 2005, 12:01:34 PM »

my 05 seeg has pinged since it was new. i thought it may stop after freedom pipes and pc 111 but it didnt. any ideas on how to stop it? i did use some octane booster and it did seem to work. i was thinking maybe i should download a different map from the power commander site.  THANKS VANAMAL!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: PINGING / DETONATION
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 12:05:50 PM »

Vanamal, you're completely right.  The easiest thing you can do to work the problem is a new map.  Something a little richer in the ranges you're getting the detonation.

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 01:17:45 PM »

Not to be too paranoid but, I would actually limit riding the thing until you get that fixed.  Detonation can be a killer on these engines.  You should be able to replicate the problem on a load bearing dyno and is worth the money to get this corrected now for sure.  Just my 1 1/2 cents.  JP [smiley=banana.gif]

BTW, when I read the manual, it looked like the race tuner has software to identify the knock sensor readings and can be used to isolate and correct this problem.  The PC software may as well have this feature as well and be used to correct the timing advance curve that is probably causing the issue.  I am not claiming to be an expert but my understanding from all the tuning reading I have done is detonation is a spark advance issue rather than a mixture problem and needs to be addressed as such.  JP  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 03:22:34 PM »

I am not claiming to be an expert but my understanding from all the tuning reading I have done is detonation is a spark advance issue rather than a mixture problem and needs to be addressed as such.

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 05:07:01 PM »

Thanks Don, you learn something new every day.   JP [smiley=banana.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 07:43:29 PM »

thanks all- i decided to change the map that freedom cycle had pre programmed into the pc111. the bike was detonating and really had a lousy idle. i downloaded m807-175 feul and ignition map and it made a world of difference. no ping,smooth idle, runs great. im going to have to call these guys and find out whats up with their maps.-thanks V.G.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 10:52:24 PM »

thanks all- i decided to change the map that freedom cycle had pre programmed into the pc111. the bike was detonating and really had a lousy idle. i downloaded m807-175 feul and ignition map and it made a world of difference. no ping,smooth idle, runs great. im going to have to call these guys and find out whats up with their maps.-thanks V.G.

Vanamal if you'd like another one to play with let me know.  My bike has V&H true duals and White Bro's mufflers with the SE air cleaner but several have requested it's map and it's proved to be a pretty good generic map for nearly everyone that's used it.  If you want another just to see what it feels like just let me know.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 09:30:02 AM »

thanks - sure ill give it a try. it only takes a few minutes to take out the pc11 and re map iy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 10:15:11 AM »

thanks - sure ill give it a try. it only takes a few minutes to take out the pc11 and re map iy

On its way.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 11:47:19 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, VANAMAL,
  The timing is not that big a factor on a stock EFI.  This motor is burning too lean.  Re-Map it.  No worries.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 01:13:30 PM »

my 05 seeg has pinged since it was new. i thought it may stop after freedom pipes and pc 111 but it didnt. any ideas on how to stop it?

Lean mixtures and hemi heads with offset spark plugs = detonation.  I don't understand why the MoCo went back to hemi heads on the 103 after changing to the better bathtub design for the TC88.  If they want to run a hemi with the lean mixtures, they need to use a centrally located plug or dual plugs.  
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.