Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wheel/Rotor Fit Question?  (Read 3056 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Wheel/Rotor Fit Question?
« on: December 04, 2008, 07:43:56 AM »

The SERK3/4 has HD Roadwinder Wheels with the V-Rod style rotors with no center carriage. Same come on the SERG3's now too. I'd like to change the rotors. When I checked the HD site, the Roadwinder Wheels they show all have standard round center hubs. They even show an 18" wheel in my size with a round center hub. Different P/N than my wheel. None have the cutouts with just the 5 holes for the direct rotor mounting. Can regular style rotors with a center carriage be used on these wheels? A rotor normally has a round center to go on to the round hub. These wheels have no hubs essentially. What's the verdict here gang? I want to use the Lyndall Composite Rotors. Are we stuck with those cheapo $60 rotors without changing wheels too? :confused5:

Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Wheel/Rotor Fit Question?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 08:50:01 AM »

Tough question, or am I missing something here? Even Jerry grc passed thru here without an answer. That's rare! Anyone have a clue? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FastHarley

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 09:11:12 AM »

I will look today when I go to the shop & get back with you.  I believe Paul (Tom is the manufacturer really) does not make MMC rotors for V-Rods.  I am sure that you need a rotor register for sure.  If you try to install a rotor without a register than you will have a catastrophic failure.  You can trade out your wheel for another stock bagger type with a rotor register and yes they will work.  The measurements  are 2.20 +/- 0.002  How do I know?  This is me and the bald guy is Paul, owner of Lyndall.  He was staying with me while he was in FL as he lives in S. Calif.  Photos of Daytona & Key West + one of my bikes when we were R&Ding the inverted front end in the very beginning.  Please note there is a Patent Pending on the 100 mph headlight mounting system.  Don't try that at home, this system is made by my highly paid & skilled professionals.

Please notice the rotor register on the Road Winder wheel.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:14:19 AM by FastHarley »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 09:20:34 AM »

I will look today when I go to the shop & get back with you.  I believe Paul (Tom is the manufacturer really) does not make MMC rotors for V-Rods.  I am sure that you need a rotor register for sure.  You can trade out your wheel for another stock bagger type with a rotor register and yes they will work.  The measurements  are 2.20 +/- 0.002  How do I know?  This is me and the bald guy is Paul, owner of Lyndall.  He was staying with me while he was in FL as he lives in S. Calif.  Photos of Daytona & Key West + one of my bikes when we were R&Ding the inverted front end in the very begining.  Please note there is a Patent Pending on the 100 mph headlight mounting system.  Don't try that at home, this system is made for my highly paid & skilled professionals.

Please notice the rotor register on the Road Winder wheel.

Thanks for the help man! That's what I thought about what you refer to as the "rotor register". This is a pic of the Roadwinder with the rotor register and the description of the wheel they make in the SERK size that way. But it'll still be cheaper to buy rotors made for my wheel than to replace the wheel AND the rotors. Anything you find out would be greatly appreciated! :2vrolijk_21:

44612-07
IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.
18" Front
Fits '04-'08 Touring models (requires separate purchase of 18" D402F 130/70-18 Front Tire P/N 43371-07 (for '04-'08 models). Requires separate purchase of model-specific Wheel Installation Kit and two Front Brake Rotors (P/N 44343-01 for '04-'07 models and P/N 44553-06A for '08 models).
MSRP US $1,199.95

My wheel P/N is 42085-07.

To make things more complicated, I have PM 6-piston differential-bore calipers. While you're talking to him, would you also see if they make the Red Plus Pads for these calipers. The site doesn't list the Red Plus Pads for PM calipers. And they say to use Red Plus Pads with the composite rotors? Am I just wasting mine and everyone else's time with this? Thanks again! ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:25:02 AM by Hoist! »

FastHarley

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 09:39:25 AM »

I know that changing the rotors are a better option for sure.  You are not going to get MMC though unless Tom is making them for Paul.  The part number for the 6-Piston differential bore is Lyndall PN #7102 which is also the same pad as a 2003~ 2007 Hayabusa Tokico which you can view on the black bike.  I have both calipers (PM & Tokico) and I personally put the same pad in both.  The difference is one is billet & costs $499/each and a Tokico weighs about 1/2, has a different mounting system so it needs an adapter plate to move it back down from 320 mm to 11.5" or 300 mm and the cost is $50 ~ $75/pair  + chroming.  Same pad I am 100% sure.  I use a 320 mm rotor on a HD wheel w/stock fork tubes & adapters with this application for much greater stopping performance but that is a different story.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 09:57:54 AM »

I know that changing the rotors are a better option for sure.  You are not going to get MMC though unless Tom is making them for Paul.  The part number for the 6-Piston differential bore is Lyndall PN #7102 which is also the same pad as a 2003~ 2007 Hayabusa Tokico which you can view on the black bike.  I have both calipers (PM & Tokico) and I personally put the same pad in both.  The difference is one is billet & costs $499/each and a Tokico weighs about 1/2, has a different mounting system so it needs an adapter plate to move it back down from 320 mm to 11.5" or 300 mm and the cost is $50 ~ $75/pair  + chroming.  Same pad I am 100% sure.  I use a 320 mm rotor on a HD wheel w/stock fork tubes & adapters with this application for much greater stopping performance but that is a different story.

Thanks again. The pad P/N above, is for the Red Plus or another type Lyndall pad? I did not see Red Plus pads for PM calipers on their site at all. Is there an adapter that can be used for the "rotor register" on my wheel? I'm trying to obtain a set of preowned composite Lyndall rotors with spoke carriage. My other option would be to wait til they come out with "registerless" V-Rod style composite rotors for these type wheels. Since these type wheels are appearing on more bikes now, maybe they'll have to come out with something for them. ;)

HeHe!!! You SERG3 guys better pay attention here. You're next with this issue if you wanna upgrade your rotors! ???

Very interested to hear what you find out today! Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:01:02 AM by Hoist! »

FastHarley

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »

As promised, just came back from Rosmyers HD.

>>The pad P/N above, is for the Red Plus or another type Lyndall pad?
>>> P/N is the same, just specify compound NP.

>>Is there an adapter that can be used for the "rotor register" on my wheel
>>> You could not do that as there is no “Bosses” to put your adapter on the wheel IMO.  Impossible to do it economically.  I sold a the set you see brand new (that was used for photos only (eventually) for Promo).  The set was sold for $500 + shipping..  The best upgrade would be to change wheels and sell yours.  Your Road Winder wheels look great but are heavier than all get out.   A set of 9 spoke would be a much better performance upgrade by a mile.  If I remember correctly they (Road Winders) weigh in excess of 35 lbs (I could be wrong) where as a stock 9 spoke weight 13 lbs.  At 40 mph your wheels and tires weigh approximately four (4) times more than at rest (Static weight).  Just think of the performance gains in both starting and stopping, and transitioning lanes (turning).

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »

>>> You could not do that as there is no “Bosses” to put your adapter on the wheel IMO.  Impossible to do it economically.  I sold a the set you see brand new (that was used for photos only (eventually) for Promo).  The set was sold for $500 + shipping..  The best upgrade would be to change wheels and sell yours.  Your Road Winder wheels look great but are heavier than all get out.   A set of 9 spoke would be a much better performance upgrade by a mile.  If I remember correctly they (Road Winders) weigh in excess of 35 lbs (I could be wrong) where as a stock 9 spoke weight 13 lbs.  At 40 mph your wheels and tires weigh approximately four (4) times more than at rest (Static weight).  Just think of the performance gains in both starting and stopping, and transitioning lanes (turning).

Well, I was actually just trying to score a set of preowned rotors reasonably. But I'll need a wheel with a rotor register for this upgrade. When I have a spare 2500 bucks or more around, I'll think of upgrading my front wheel setup. Looks like I'll be living with my $60 rotors for now! Thanks for checking into this for me. :2vrolijk_21:

Is Lyndall planning on offering the composite rotors for the "registerless" wheels of V-Rods, SERKs, and SERGs? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 04:42:39 PM »

Howie,

What about something lke this?
http://w8lesstechnologies.com/

2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 05:31:53 PM »

Howie,

What about something lke this?
http://w8lesstechnologies.com/

Thanks Ernie. I'm aware of these. I saw them at the V-Twin Expo last year. Prolly be going back there again this year too. They're also very expensive. I wasn't necessarily looking to get them right now. A member here is selling his 3 LRB Composite Rotors and thought I'd try to take advantage of his good deal. But alas, it's not to be! ;)

That's something I'll look at down the road when I've nothing else left to do to Cybil. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »

The best upgrade would be to change wheels and sell yours.  Your Road Winder wheels look great but are heavier than all get out.   A set of 9 spoke would be a much better performance upgrade by a mile.  If I remember correctly they (Road Winders) weigh in excess of 35 lbs (I could be wrong) where as a stock 9 spoke weight 13 lbs.  At 40 mph your wheels and tires weigh approximately four (4) times more than at rest (Static weight).  Just think of the performance gains in both starting and stopping, and transitioning lanes (turning).

very good..........do they come in CHROME?  :nixweiss: :coolblue:  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 09:24:28 PM »

Fastharley;
You have a PM, click on the "my messages" button at tho top of the page to view.

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 21 queries.