Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question for the gear heads  (Read 1889 times)

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
Question for the gear heads
« on: September 10, 2005, 12:40:37 PM »

A buddy of mine has an 02 RK, bone stock. He was coming back from the beach last weekend and it started making strange noisies, still ran good. He left it at a local shop and on Monday they looked at it. They say lots of metal in the oil, the cam bearings are shoot along with the chain. They are going to replace all the cam parts, upgrade the cams, stage 1, and SE mufflers.
With the experience I've had with engines, an engine that had lots of metal in the oil needed to be torn down and looked at for other damage but they aren't going to do that??? Does anyone that has a great deal of HD experience think this isn't nescessary? Sure sounds strange to me.
[smiley=confused5.gif]

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Question for the gear heads
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 04:18:14 PM »

06ultrase,

I had a wrist pin keeper come off and they tore the engine down completely because there is no way you can be sure it all got trapped in the oil filter nor would I want to take that chance especially if you like to ride long distances.   The tiniest piece of metal could FUBAR your cylinders / Oil Pump and hurt the new parts you just paid to put in.

There is no way in hell I would ever except a bike back without having it torn down cleaned completely and then put back together if it were mine.  

Anyone who does accept it backwithout being completely torn down and cleaned is just begging to do this again in the near future.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 07:33:47 PM »

06ultrase,

I had a wrist pin keeper come off and they tore the engine down completely because there is no way you can be sure it all got trapped in the oil filter nor would I want to take that chance especially if you like to ride long distances.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 07:34:44 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 07:54:17 PM »

That's what I thought I was going to hear from you guys. I couldn't agree more.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 08:02:11 AM »

H-D has always maintained that cam bearing, chain, tensioner, etc. failures do not require teardown and cleaning of the crankcase, since the cavities are separate and the oil in a TC goes through the filter prior to entering the engine, unlike the old EVO system.  When they were doing the cam bearing repairs on the early TC88's, they only changed out the support plate, cams, bearings, chains, etc., and would not pay to do a complete teardown of the cases.

I'm with everyone else - this is not the way I would do it.  The entire engine should be torn down and checked thoroughly.  And the oil pump should definitely be replaced, since all that metal had to go through it on the way to the sump and again on the way to the filter.  BTW, if any of you read American Iron, Donny Peterson of Heavy Duty Cycles wrote an article some time ago stating the same thing - complete teardown recommended.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.