Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is a 103 CI Mod. worth it? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  (Read 3809 times)

Oscar

• 2003 Roadking
Is a 103 CI Mod. worth it? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« on: September 15, 2005, 10:24:28 AM »

I have a 2003 Roadking with 19,000 miles. I want to ugrade the engine for more speed and low end torque, but still maintain the reliability that the TC 88 has given me. I ride both short and long distances and I am having trouble deciding whether to do anything to the engine ( If it ain't broke don't fix it? ). The dealer suggested the 103 CI mod. and said that at their shop they tweak it even a bit more than HD's kit with different pistons and cams. The service Mgr. said it would meet my needs easily and that I would not be disappointed but rather shocked at the level of power I would gain. I would like to beleive this, but at over 5k to do it my question is: How much is fact based vs. dollar based advice. Anyone have this upgrade? Please give me your thoughts! Thanks!
[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Is a 103 CI Mod. worth it? [smiley=nixweiss.gi
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 12:14:58 PM »

Oscar, I think the majority of the guys who have the 103 CVO's and rode TC88's before will have a difficult, if not impossible, time going back to a stock TC88.  The performance increase is substantial as your dealer suggests.  However, only you can make the determination of whether spending the $5K on your bike makes sense or not.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 09:04:37 PM »

Oscar,

Personally I have done this upgrade from an 88 to 95 then again to 103.   I would not go to a 103 personally if I were doing it all over again.   If your not happy with approx 98 hp and 102 TQ then look to one of the other kits either juggs / heads or bottom ends and such.   The money you will have invested in 103 might be better spent going directly to harleys new juggs the 4 inchers using your stock stroke and then have the heads done and put in a gear drive cam.  

Just my 2 cents
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

theheat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 12:06:52 PM »

I had a 03 Fat Boy with stage 1 and Vance & Hines 2 in one pro pipe. I now have a 103 (from the factory) and wouldn't go back to an 88. The low end torque and overall power is awsome!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 03:53:26 PM »

The difference is huge between a 88 and a 103, but from a 95 to a 103 is really the question or 88 to bigger than 103.   When you compare going from 88 to 95 then 95 to 103 there isnt as much there as you see going 88 to 95 in the seat of the pants difference.  I would suggest riding a well tuned 95 and you will probably be satisfied if your not then I would look to another kit or talking to one of the pro's that can guide you down a path to meet the need / cost your looking for.

I would not however go to a run of the mill garage and ask them to get you going you may find your not getting what your asking for.   The lessons are expensive which is why I try to share as much as I can to help not make the same mistakes I felt I made and paid for.

If you want more specifics send me a PM happy to discuss it.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 07:43:24 PM »

Unbalanced, I couldn't agree more. I had a real nice 95 build and went and spent 5K on a mild stroker build, and after 8K miles I like it ( I didn't say I love it ) but overall, it was money down the drain. All I got was a small power increase, much less MPG, probably more valve train noise, and then had to upgrade the clutch.  This was my first Harley, and I learned the hard way. Stage I 88", then mild 95", then wilder 95", then mild stroker.  If I would have gone stroker from the beginning it wouldn't have been so bad.  Wish I had found some of these internet boards sooner. Oh well, you have to learn somehow.  [smiley=confused5.gif]
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 05:35:17 AM »

I now have a 103 (from the factory) and wouldn't go back to an 88. The low end torque and overall power is awsome!!

Amen to that brother! The difference from the Evo to the 103 is beyond comparison. Sell your bike and buy a CVO! [smiley=cool3.gif]
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 07:35:42 AM »

I think that CVOwner said it right. There is a whole lot more to these CVO bikes than a bigger engine and a nice paint job.  Even though a lot of us have had a few problems, the way the bike handles and feels is so much better than a regular bike, it is worth it ot sell your 03 roadking and buy a CVO bike with the 103 engine.  

[smiley=cherry.gif]
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.