Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: I'm getting too old to sleep on the ground  (Read 6629 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: I'm getting too old to sleep on the ground
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 11:55:11 AM »

You can get a good room for $80/night and typically get a pool, cable, free breakfast, hot shower.  You can do a lot of traveling while staying in hotels for the $6,400 a trailer costs.  If you have it many years and do a lot of traveling and really like setting up in the middle of no where it's worth it though.  After being in the saddle for a hard day of riding I'm looking for a shower and a cold beer.  I'm too impatient to set up a camp site.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 12:05:10 PM »

You can get a good room for $80/night and typically get a pool, cable, free breakfast, hot shower.  You can do a lot of traveling while staying in hotels for the $6,400 a trailer costs.  If you have it many years and do a lot of traveling and really like setting up in the middle of no where it's worth it though.  After being in the saddle for a hard day of riding I'm looking for a shower and a cold beer.  I'm too impatient to set up a camp site.

Jim,

I totally agree... No way I would have spent the $$$$ for a new trailer.  I looked for a few years before I found a good used one that I liked.  I spent $1800 for a Timeout Trailer that was three years old and had only been used twice -- for the most part, in "like new condition".

$1800 is still a pretty good chunk of change for something that I only use a couple of times a year, but I think I bought it right and can maybe make a few $$$ if I decide to sell it.

And yes, we stay in motels most of the time.  We only use the tent trailer at a couple of the rallies we attend most every year that are out in the middle of nowhere - meaning: no motels close.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »

Plus the addition of having to tow it around when traveling. On the other had you can stay in some beautiful places when camping, and many have most of the amenities if you stay in a campground. But give me that room with the AC after a long days ride!  :2vrolijk_21:

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »

Plus the addition of having to tow it around when traveling. On the other had you can stay in some beautiful places when camping, and many have most of the amenities if you stay in a campground. But give me that room with the AC after a long days ride!  :2vrolijk_21:
:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 09:22:07 PM »

And don't forget to schedule the massage while at the bar and to have the concierge get your reservations at the nearest Ruth's Chris/Mortons or similar.  10 years of road work will do that to a person. Gaaaa like flying coach...

You would do better to get one like this.......

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 09:38:09 PM »

Yep, I've got one of these and the little tent trailer

They are both useful in different situations.... except the tent trailer is a little cheaper

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 09:49:24 PM »

BTW...We always stay in motels, too old for anything else.

I don't know about being too old for anything else, but I agree, it's a h/motel for me. I'm too lazy for all the setup/breakdown and I *HATE* sleeping on the ground, even with an air mattress...

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2009, 03:23:51 PM »

I vote for the motel with hot tub & a restaurant bar within walking distance.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2009, 09:02:43 PM »

I tow a 2004 Bunkhouse camper trailer. Bought it used for a reasonable price and really enjoy it. I usually only take on trips where I'll be staying in one place for a few days at a time. Lots of room, lots of options for add on's like screen rooms or add a room, AC, etc., etc. Also considered an Aspen camper trailer, but found the used Bunkhouse first. Both of these have more storage area than the Lesurelite or Timeout trailers. All depends on what is important to you. Good luck!!!

Here are a couple websites to check out:

www.bf-specialties.com

We talked to two guys pulling B&F Specialties trailers at Mountainfest last year. They researched and looked at almost every trailer before choosing these. I haven't seen any of the others up close but theirs had a full size mattress, plenty of storage space and super fast set-up and tear-down.

nashalynn

• -:¦:-
  • Senior CVO Member
  • # 5459

• CVO1: Hers: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: His: 2009 SERG
    • CVO3: Extra? 2001 SERG
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 10:36:46 AM »

We have an Aspen. Pulls great (Says my husband), has lots of storage, queen size bed, 6 x 6 room, etc... We use it mostly in the mountians where it is cool.
Maggie Valley NC (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Ribfest (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
New River Gorge (2010)

JDLEE

• Junior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride!!
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 10:01:45 AM »

Here are some pictures of my Bunkhouse tent camper....

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 10:12:29 AM »

Wowzers!  Thats is impressive!  :2vrolijk_21:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 10:21:22 AM »

Another link for the intentional non ground sleepers, unintentionl ground sleeping is exempt..
http://www.fivestaralliance.com/

The Meridien in San Fran is not listed but recommended by Miker..walk to Chinatown, cable cars on the corner, the embarcedero and cigar shop are walking distance as well, superb restaurant, decent concierge and spa and view...

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »

JD,
That's bigger than the ones we saw but it sure looks comfortable. How much does it weigh and how does it tow ? I have a friend that had a storage trailer (no tent) and he had a heck of a time with it pushing him on the turns. It actually scared him on the first trip. Someone told him you're only supposed to have 25 lbs. of tongue weight so I offered to weld an extension on for him. He said the hell with it and sold the trailer.

JDLEE

• Junior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride!!
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 12:49:55 AM »

JD,
That's bigger than the ones we saw but it sure looks comfortable. How much does it weigh and how does it tow ? I have a friend that had a storage trailer (no tent) and he had a heck of a time with it pushing him on the turns. It actually scared him on the first trip. Someone told him you're only supposed to have 25 lbs. of tongue weight so I offered to weld an extension on for him. He said the hell with it and sold the trailer.

Hey Mike!

Keep in mind these pictures show the add-a-room which adds about 10 feet to the front of the tent. I only use that when I am staying somewhere for a few days. Otherwise, there is a smaller screen room I can put on the front. For short stays, I don't use either one as the front fold out part is a 6' X 6' enclosed area for dressing, etc. Loaded it weighs between 400 and 425 lbs. Trick is to get the tongue weight right (about 10% to 15% of the total) and it tows like a dream. Never had this push me in corners, but with the extra weight, I ride pretty cautiously when towing. You definitely know it is back there during low speed manuvers, like in a parking lot, but once your up to speed I can almost forget it's back there. Run 70 to 75 MPH on the Interstate with it. I also have an extra foot on tongue length which helps the balance and makes it easier hitting the right tongue weight. Lots of good websites with plenty of information on towing, wiring for trailer, loading, hitches, etc.

I would definitely go with a good used one if you can find one. The new ones are just too expensive unless you plan to use it a lot.

Good luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.