Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TFI / DFO Misfire  (Read 1359 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
TFI / DFO Misfire
« on: September 26, 2005, 12:43:22 PM »

Thought I would share this with the DFO or TFI users out there to prevent a similar occurrence.  I started having an occasional "misfire" two weeks ago, usually while just cruising along at 2000-2500 rpm.  It felt like the kill switch had been cycled off and back on really fast.  Since it was intermittent and didn't happen on every ride, all I could do was check the basics like battery connections, electrical connections, plugs, and plug wires.  No codes were set in the ECM.

Saturday, as momma and I rolled out of the driveway on the way to dinner, the bike started bucking real badly and I could barely make it back to the garage.  It was running on only one cylinder.  I have a TFI / DFO unit on the bike, and decided to try disconnecting it to make sure that wasn't the problem.  During the removal, I quickly determined the problem.  One of the wires to the front cylinder injector had been rubbed through by the cruise control cable and shorted out the DFO.  I don't know why the cable moved, but it won't happen again.  I added another wire tie to keep it forward away from the injector.  I called George Levings at Dobeck Performance (had called him last week about why no codes were being set) to let him know what I'd found, and to see if the DFO had an internal fuse I could replace.  George offered to replace the unit under warranty, even though this really doesn't qualify as a manufacturing defect.  In an age where many folks (including H-D it seems) spend more time trying to disavow responsibility than they do taking care of customers, it is very refreshing to have someone offer to take care of a problem like this.  I would like to publicly thank George and Dobeck Performance for their assistance.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Re: TFI / DFO Misfire
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 04:47:25 PM »

Jerry,

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll have to check my zip tie job.   I sure don't remember seeing (or even considering) the cruise control cable when I installed my DFO.

TB
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Jimbo

• Prospect
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 09:18:47 PM »

I'm getting ready to install one on my bike, thanks for the heads up........

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 10:40:45 PM »

Another thing to know is that if you get them wet they may quit working or act up.  I power washed some crud off of my bike and soon after it started running awfully.  I call Dobeck and they told me that moisture can cause it to malfunction.   I opened it up and dried it out with a hair dryer-I couldn't tell that it was even wet- and put it back together and it ran fine.
 I've ridden in some pretty heavy rains all day and it never affected it, but the power washer must have put some water where it doesn't normally go.
 So if you have problems, think back if it could have got wet somewhere.  I think the newer TFi's have a different component in them that the moisture doesn't affect, so this may not apply to you- I've had mine for a couple of years.
Steve

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.