Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Squealing Brakes???????  (Read 3786 times)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Squealing Brakes???????
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:20:08 AM »

I just replaced all the brake pads on my 08 SEUC which I can say is a piece of cake but I have now have a ton of squealing going on. I replaced the pads with the Harley replacements from China.Anyone know how to get rid of the loud squealing??This is happening in front and back.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Squealing Brakes???????
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:23:52 AM »

They had a service bulletin about this and the solution was like cars they put some stuff on the back of the pads.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:26:27 AM »

Well I bought some anti squeal stuff in a tube and applied it to the back sides of the shoes but it is worse than my worn shoes???
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:56:48 AM »

Wow, I can be an expert on this subject. I am a factory rep for NAPA Brakes.

(1) Get all of the anti-squeal stuff off the back of the pads...It does not work!
(2) Make sure all the spring hardware is in good condition. When in doubt..replace!
(3) Clean, clean, clean the caliper and all the hardware.
(4) Get yourself a tube of Silicone Brake lube and put a THIN layer of grease where ever there is metal to metal contact.

Follow those steps, and you should have a quiet, smooth, braking system.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »

UFO_Hog Where exactly would you apply the silicone grease? On the back of the Brake Pad Plates where it contacts the piston's and on the edges of the Brake Pads????

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 12:11:20 PM »

UFO_Hog Where exactly would you apply the silicone grease? On the back of the Brake Pad Plates where it contacts the piston's and on the edges of the Brake Pads????

Yes, where the pistons contact the pads and any contact points the pads make with the caliper. It doesn't take very much, just a thin layer.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 12:39:36 PM »

Well Thanks allot UFO_Hog!! Off the brakes come this weekend. They will function correctly until I can get it done I hope.Just Noisy!! I cleaned the calipers real good but thatAnti Squeal Orange crap I put on them is worthless!!

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »

I had mine in last week for the rear brake squealing. When I got it back, I almost hit a truck as soon as I left!! The brakes have a substance that looks like grease on the rotors. I don't think that it is because it is so hard to get off the chrome. The stuff sticks like glue! I rode it on home and the brakes are stopping better but still have some "glide" to them. No squeal and the fronts no longer pulse. What is this stuff!!!   :nervous:
RETIRED! :fireman:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »

I had mine in last week for the rear brake squealing. When I got it back, I almost hit a truck as soon as I left!! The brakes have a substance that looks like grease on the rotors. I don't think that it is because it is so hard to get off the chrome. The stuff sticks like glue! I rode it on home and the brakes are stopping better but still have some "glide" to them. No squeal and the fronts no longer pulse. What is this stuff!!!   :nervous:

You really need to get that bike to a competent shop.  There should be no foreign material on the rotor, the anti-squeal compound is only supposed to be applied to the back side of the pad where it contacts the caliper piston.  It's purpose is to dampen vibration between the pad and the caliper.  If the "technician" who worked on your bike got this stuff on the rotors and pad friction surfaces, he has no business working on brakes. 

BTW, anti-squeal compound is just a temporary band-aid designed to treat symptoms but not cure the disease.  Get a properly designed and manufactured set of brake pads and throw the anti-squeal compound in the trash.  This so-called "fix" from H-D is BS designed to placate customers until the original pads wear out or the warranty expires, whichever comes first.   

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 05:23:22 PM »

Jerry Can you recommend good brake replacements and a place to get them for the 08 SEUC. That really sucks because I just spent monry on those pads from Harley.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »

most of the guys i know use the lyndall z-pads from lyndall racing brakes. quiet & very little dust :bananarock:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »

I personally recommend Lyndall Z+ pads for street riding.  The Lyndall part number for the '08 and later Touring bikes is 7254-Z.  You can buy them directly from Lyndall http://lyndallracingbrakes.com/merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=L&Product_Code=7254-Z&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1 , or from many of the motorcycle parts web sites.  List price is $49 per set, which isn't significantly higher than what H-D charges for their stuff, and some of the web sites have prices in the low 40's.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 06:40:25 PM »

You really need to get that bike to a competent shop.  There should be no foreign material on the rotor, the anti-squeal compound is only supposed to be applied to the back side of the pad where it contacts the caliper piston.  It's purpose is to dampen vibration between the pad and the caliper.  If the "technician" who worked on your bike got this stuff on the rotors and pad friction surfaces, he has no business working on brakes. 

BTW, anti-squeal compound is just a temporary band-aid designed to treat symptoms but not cure the disease.  Get a properly designed and manufactured set of brake pads and throw the anti-squeal compound in the trash.  This so-called "fix" from H-D is BS designed to placate customers until the original pads wear out or the warranty expires, whichever comes first.   

Jerry

I agree with you Jerry. At first I thought maybe someone got confused on where to put the anti squeal goop and that might be the problem. I just can't imagine a HD tech doing that!? But......

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 08:45:13 PM »

Probably the cosmolene they put on rotors to keep them from rusting. Not a big deal as far as hurting the pads or anything, but the tech should have at least test rode the bike and seated in the pads.

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 03:18:52 PM »

I had the same noise on my 08SEUC.
Drove me crazy!!!!!!!
Finally after replacing pads at dealer more than twice,(their expense)
They tried this paste substance, and have not had any problems since.
I beleave that it came fro MOCO.
Braking is ok as well.

Sawyer Ghost

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 08:17:22 PM »

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I went back to the dealer tech today about the "gunk" on the rotors. They said it was supposed to have been on there. They possibly put to much so I should wipe the rotors clean and bring it back by for them to check it again.
btw I have used Lyndalls on my DWG and they did help the squeal but did not stop it totally. Great people to work with though. I may have to try them on Maggie Mae too.

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 08:57:28 PM »

www.lyndallracingbrakes.com gold plus and full floating rotors.  Every other combination is a crap shoot.  It all has to do with the stock rotors deflecting.

I spent about $1000 and a year figuring out brakes

Hope this helps

AW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I went back to the dealer tech today about the "gunk" on the rotors. They said it was supposed to have been on there. They possibly put to much so I should wipe the rotors clean and bring it back by for them to check it again.
btw I have used Lyndalls on my DWG and they did help the squeal but did not stop it totally. Great people to work with though. I may have to try them on Maggie Mae too.

Believe what you want, but there is no material other than a cleaning solvent that is supposed to be applied to the actual braking surfaces.  I would want them to show me exactly what the substance is and the part of the manual or instruction sheet that says it belongs on the braking surface. 

Whatever this substance is, it has now contaminated the brake pads.  Unless they can show you proof positive that what they used is meant to be on the actual braking surface, I would insist they thoroughly clean the rotors with brake cleaner and replace the pads.  This is a safety concern, and it needs to be taken seriously.  The fact that your bike would barely stop after their "repair", and still doesn't stop as well as before, should tell you something.

Jerry

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 09:03:35 PM »

charger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 CUSE3
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE
    • CVO3: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 06:36:54 PM »

Had to replace rear pads on 08 CUSE3 because of squealing. The tech put a 45 degree chamfer on the leading edge of the new pads and no more squeal. I think this has been discussed on this site before

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 08:33:11 PM »

Had to replace rear pads on 08 CUSE3 because of squealing. The tech put a 45 degree chamfer on the leading edge of the new pads and no more squeal. I think this has been discussed on this site before

Thats what I'm going to do also. First I have to get these gooped up pads off before I hit something! I do have brakes, but I really have to use a lot of pressure. Brakes used to be the best thing about this bike. It would stop so fast it would give you a nose bleed.  :o   

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 08:10:26 AM »

I installed new harley pads front and rear and they squealed like crazy for about two weeks until I got them broke in on the rotor. Now I have no squeal what so ever. I almost pulled them off but it was just time and high speed break in that cured the problem.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 06:44:16 PM »

I installed new harley pads front and rear and they squealed like crazy for about two weeks until I got them broke in on the rotor. Now I have no squeal what so ever. I almost pulled them off but it was just time and high speed break in that cured the problem.

high speed break in that cured the problem. Thats what I need to try!! :bananarock:

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 06:05:41 AM »

The last set I put on my Road King squeeles and they were the Lyndall racing pads.  I took it back apart and used brake cleaner to clean the calipers, used the anti squeel that I use on cars and have not had any more problems.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 08:15:22 AM »

Correct it is the high speed break in that cured the squealing. Quiet as a mouse!!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 08:44:23 AM »

I agree with the guys talking about Lyndall Z pads, get rid of the cheap HD pads, mine squealed since new, they shimmed the rotors, swapped the rotors from side to side, never got it to go away, they did make it worse when the shimmed the rotors!

Craig

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 04:31:16 PM »

I personally recommend Lyndall Z+ pads for street riding.  The Lyndall part number for the '08 and later Touring bikes is 7254-Z.  You can buy them directly from Lyndall http://lyndallracingbrakes.com/merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=L&Product_Code=7254-Z&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1 , or from many of the motorcycle parts web sites.  List price is $49 per set, which isn't significantly higher than what H-D charges for their stuff, and some of the web sites have prices in the low 40's.

Jerry
Amen.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.