Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Garage Door Receiver Problem  (Read 13632 times)

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Garage Door Receiver Problem
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:47:55 PM »

I was out in the garage tonight thinking of things to do when I came across the garage door opener receiver and wire.  I followed the manual and programed the receiver and when I hit the hi/lo beam the red light on the receiver flashed and clicked. Nothing happened to the garage door.  I added the (supplied) red and black wire to the receiver and wired it into the garage door opener.  Flashed the lights and nothing happened.  I moved the receiver to another plug and it still flashed and clicked but no movement on the garage door.  I moved the red and black wire to the wall mounted push button for the opener and still nothing there either.  After spending 2 hours on this I decided to call it a night and poll you guys.  One thing I was wondering is if the two prongs in the receiver (with the white connector) were not making a connection to the red and black wire. I am sure this is a simple fix that I can't think of.

The garage door opener is a LIFT MASTER FORMULA 1 if this means anything.  I do know that it has a rolling code and if I were to program another door opener I have to push a red button and then hit the button on the remote to sync it.  Maybe this is needs to be done with the H-D receiver?

Thanks in advance,

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

Re: Garage Door Receiver Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:32:45 PM »

WOW I know the weather is getting nice but I was hoping for some input.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:29:49 AM »

It should have nothing to do with programming it to your garage door opener.  The setup basically boils down to you remotely pushing the button inside your garage, which doesn't need programmed.  Did you program the high/low switch to the Harley remote unit on the wall?  I followed the instructions step by step and it worked for me the first time.  If I remember correctly, you have to hold in the button on the wall unit while toggling the light switch.  I had someone else hold the button in while I did the bike switch.

eagle.b

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:49:20 AM »

Is it just the remote that's not working ?? Does it work with the hardwired opener??

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:47:08 PM »

It should have nothing to do with programming it to your garage door opener.  The setup basically boils down to you remotely pushing the button inside your garage, which doesn't need programmed.  Did you program the high/low switch to the Harley remote unit on the wall?  I followed the instructions step by step and it worked for me the first time.  If I remember correctly, you have to hold in the button on the wall unit while toggling the light switch.  I had someone else hold the button in while I did the bike switch.

I was not sure if it did or not so I threw it out there. I believe that the H-D receiver is programed.  When I hit the hi/lo switch the receiver does one flash and I hear it click. but nothing happens to the garage door. 

Did you have to use the red and black wire that plugs into the H-D receiver and then into the opener or wall switch?

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 01:51:42 PM »

Is it just the remote that's not working ?? Does it work with the hardwired opener??

I would have to say it is either in the H-D wire from the H-D receiver to the garage door opener.  I have tried to hard wire it to the wall switch as well as the opener.  The H-D receiver has a constant red light on and when I toggle the hi/lo it flashes once and makes a click noise but the garage door does not open. I am not sure if i have a broken wire in the red/black hard wire or what.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »

Stopped by the dealership today and they did not have any input on how to trouble shoot the problem.  One of my buddies there ran off the install guide for me so I plan to check it out and see if there is a step I did not do.

When your receiver acknowledges the signal how may times does it flash?

I also noticed that one of the prongs on the back side of the receiver is shorter than the other.  Anyone else notice this?

Also I have heard that is I hook this up, the other gargae door openers might not work?  Any truth to this?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 03:40:44 PM »

Also I have heard that is I hook this up, the other gargae door openers might not work?  Any truth to this?

My car visor mounted opener switch that came with the door opener still works with the Harley opener on the bike. 

You have to synch these exactly step by step or they will not work.   I just rec'd my 2nd HD receiver for my wife's bike so will see if everything still works when done.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 03:42:17 PM by Boatman »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »

Stopped by the dealership today and they did not have any input on how to trouble shoot the problem.  One of my buddies there ran off the install guide for me so I plan to check it out and see if there is a step I did not do.

When your receiver acknowledges the signal how may times does it flash?

I also noticed that one of the prongs on the back side of the receiver is shorter than the other.  Anyone else notice this?

I can't see any reason for it not to work with any particular brand of garage door opener.  All this system is doing is sending an electronic pulse to the garage door opener button on your wall which converts it to being the same as you pushing the button on the wall.  As long as the button on your wall works, this unit should work for you.  The remote part of it is only between your bike and the HD unit itself.  From there, it's just wired direct to your button and acts just as though you pushed the button.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »

Yeah this is turning out to be a head ache.  I got the instructions from the H-D dealer and followed them but still a no go.  I noticed that the RED LED light stays on solid until I hit the hi/lo switch and it interrupts for one flash and a click.  The instructions say that the red led should flash once.  So I am wondering if the led should be constant or not. I did the rest as described in the instructions. I reprogrammed the receiver and still the same thing with the led and nothing on the garage door opening.

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »

No, the red light should not stay lit. You have to wire the HD Receiver to your opener. If you wonder whether or not you have the wires going to the correct terminal disconect them from the Receiver and touch them together - that should open the door.

You depress the button on the front of the Receiver and flip your light switch up and down. The light on the Receiver will blink, let go of the button on the receiver and that is supposed to mean you're good to go.

I have to reprogram my sending unit (in the fairing) regularly by repeating the syncing steps.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 09:21:58 PM »

HMMMMM.   I am glad that the red light is to stay on at all times.  I have reset the receiver and then reprogrammed it to the bike.  At this time it is wired to the wall switch and I still can't get the darn thing to work.  I am starting to think I am loosing it.  This is something so simple yet can't seem to get it right.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 10:59:57 PM »

Since this is only a 5 minute procedure, take it apart and start over.  Unplug your garage door opener.  Connect the positive wire on the receiver to the positive terminal on your garage button.  Connect the negative wire on the receiver to the negative terminal on the garage button.  Make sure the antenna from the receiver is hanging down.  Plug your garage door opener back in.  Get someone to hold the button in on the receiver while you toggle the hi/lo beam switch to program.  Try it to see if it works.  If I recall correctly, that is all there is to it.

I don't suppose there is any chance you have changed the wiring on your headlamps at all.  Perhaps you changed it to keep the passing lamps on with the high beams or something like that.  Changes to your headlamp wiring could affect this, but otherwise this should be a quick easy setup.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »

Since this is only a 5 minute procedure, take it apart and start over.  Unplug your garage door opener.  Connect the positive wire on the receiver to the positive terminal on your garage button.  Connect the negative wire on the receiver to the negative terminal on the garage button.  Make sure the antenna from the receiver is hanging down.  Plug your garage door opener back in.  Get someone to hold the button in on the receiver while you toggle the hi/lo beam switch to program.  Try it to see if it works.  If I recall correctly, that is all there is to it.

I don't suppose there is any chance you have changed the wiring on your headlamps at all.  Perhaps you changed it to keep the passing lamps on with the high beams or something like that.  Changes to your headlamp wiring could affect this, but otherwise this should be a quick easy setup.

No changes made to passing lamps.  The only thing I did not do it the set up is unplug the garage door opener.  I will give that a try and see if it works.

Topper

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 04:46:45 PM »

No changes made to passing lamps.  The only thing I did not do it the set up is unplug the garage door opener.  I will give that a try and see if it works.

Topper

I think that's just so you don't electrocute yourself when you are wiring to the button.  I don't think it matters as far as setting it up to work properly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.