Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Dyno run results with the "110 Race Kit"  (Read 11655 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Dyno run results with the "110 Race Kit"
« on: May 02, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »

:-\
Well I just got my dyno chart today and had hoped it would show better results than it did.

I haven't figured out yet how to post pics here so I'll just say that it came out max torque =103.51 and max pwr=107.22

Now that's with about 500 break-in miles since the build that was done at 175 original miles.  The (race kit) includes 10.5:1 pistons, ported heads with 2.125 intakes, 58mm throttle bodys and larger injectors and SE 260 cams.  In addition, I got the new Vance/Hines "power duals" and rinehart mufflers.

Are there some of you that have done similar mods that can relate to these numbers or better.....Per the SE catalog and their (overly optimistic) graphs,  I had hoped for at least 115 or so on the nums.

In reality though,  I think I made a mistake since I really wanted more low-in grunt and the SE260 cams were NOT the choice for that. :rolleyes5:

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
Re: Dyno run results with the "110 Race Kit"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »

As a rule of thumb for relative comparison, a well matched (components) build should produce minimum 1.1 x cubes to the rear wheel.  110 x 1.1 = 121 tq/hp

It's frustrating when you spend good money & end up with disappointing results.  Believe me, I know.  In the end, I re-did everything with the right builder AND the right SERT (or TTS) tuner.  Gotta have both, then you'll be completely happy with your build.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:27:31 PM by PR3VS56 »

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Bixby

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »

I did the 110 race kit ,fullsac 2" baffles and Vance & Hines power duals HP 114 / TQ 108. The power is great, pulls hard in all gears.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 05:32:22 PM »

Harley's own chart indicates that the 110 race kit should produce approximately 120 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm, and 117 hp @ 6000 rpm.  I've found their charts in the SE catalog to be pretty close in the past, but have no experience with this particular kit.  As you found, this isn't a low speed and midrange kit, it's designed for top end.  Perhaps one of our experts could suggest a better cam that would still work with the heads and compression ratio you currently have.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »

Moscooter,

Are you sure the bike is not sumping oil ?  New cam maybe they pinched the O ring putting the cam in ?

What was the bike tuned with?   Do you have a copy of the map?
What kind of dyno was used in your tuning?   Are you sure they really tuned the bike and didnt just put a map in it for you?

The cam you have in the bike is for top end not for low end more suited towards a dyna or a softail that someone wants to run up in the rpm range with.   If you are sticking with all harley the 251 cam is a much better cam.  There are other cams outside of Harley, just depends what your after and what your dealer will support for you.

Do you know which head gasket was used to figure out what your true compression is?  40 mm 50mm etc  did they even check?
Did they check your cylinders to be sure they were round and correct?

Have you done a leak down test to be sure the rings are seated and you dont have issues?   Have they or did they test for what your cylinder compression is?

Are you sure you do not have any intake or exhaust leaks?

Personally, I am not a fan for the pipe you have chosen to use, but there aren't all that many choices out there atm.   I was hoping Kuryakyn or Rinehart would release their true duals for 09's but they havent yet. 

Love to see your map to see against the base how much they modified it and such from its beginnings.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:52:11 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:26:14 PM »

:)
Unbalanced...The shop has not yet given me all the dyno runs they were supposed to have done.  They were to have done one with the "stock" 110 setup,  then another with the V/H "trueduals"  which were put on by mistake when they installed the 110 Race Kit.   So they said we'll just leave them on there until you come back for the dyno tune after completing the break-in miles.  The service mgr said he would make a dyno run with those pipes on before swapping them out for the "powerduals".......just to see what the difference might be.

Haven't had a chance to speak with the Serv. Mgr since the runs to ask any other questions yet.  You can peek at my final run graph on Harley Zone where I still hang out.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 02:42:17 PM »

Unbalanced is correct. REMOVE THE CAMS!!!!! There are many other choices out there.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 03:44:43 PM »

Here is a copy of your dyno sheet here to keep it in order.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 04:03:25 PM »

Moscooter,

Looking forward to hearing about your conversation with the Service Manager.   You just gave up a lot of torque where the bike needs it most. 

If the bike is not sumping and has no leak down issues, My strongest suggestion is to change cams and investigate your tune.   (Can't see your bike being tuned in 20 pulls)  jmo. 

An example to go by ... My 07 with just a Yuill Brothers bolt in cam, produced 116 / 104   with a 50mm throttlebody and injectors.   The dynosheet is on the site here i will edit this later when i find it for ya.

My bike had rineharts on it, and 110mofo just had Yuill Brothers put the same cam in his bike and TTS tuner and Yuill Bro's true duals and the bike made 115/105     Me thinks something is wrong and it could be just the cams, but check the other stuff to be sure so you aren't chasing your tail.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 02:32:52 PM »

"I got the new Vance/Hines "power duals" and rinehart mufflers."

"I've found their charts in the SE catalog to be pretty close in the past,"

The recipe was not followed so the results can't be expected. Especially if a HD download for the Race Kit was used.

We are having great luck with just retaining all the factory parts and doing a little headwork, light mill for added compression and a Woods or Andrews cam. 118+ torque is common with even a poor tune.

If I had this combo and knowing what I know about the heads I would be looking at lower compression (not sure if the race kit has the 10.5 or 11/1 pistons MOCO offers them both) a little and a short cam such as a Woods TW7 for the bagger and to recapture the torque. Horsepower will be fine and ride shotgun.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »

:wall:
Well,  here is the current situation.  From this thread and my questions at another site I hang out with.....there seems to be answers to my problem by using different cam choices.

Problem I have now is............"Warranty"!!!

My service mgr informs me that HD will NOT honor the engine warrany with NON-HD cams installed.  I have a brand new 2 yr warranty plus one extra yr. extended warranty.  So it there is not an SE (HD) cam choice to fix my low-end torque issue,  I'm in a 3 yr bind..........so it seems. ::)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 05:58:20 PM »

:wall:
Well,  here is the current situation.  From this thread and my questions at another site I hang out with.....there seems to be answers to my problem by using different cam choices.

Problem I have now is............"Warranty"!!!

My service mgr informs me that HD will NOT honor the engine warrany with NON-HD cams installed.  I have a brand new 2 yr warranty plus one extra yr. extended warranty.  So it there is not an SE (HD) cam choice to fix my low-end torque issue,  I'm in a 3 yr bind..........so it seems. ::)

moscooter, forgive me if I missed this but what model and year bike are we dealing with here, and who originally recommended the 110 race kit?  The SE Pro 110 race kit is not by any stretch of the imagination street legal, and therefore any new bike powertrain warranty you had is already gone.  Why your ace service manager didn't tell you that before you handed him the big bucks is a question I'll leave to you and him. 

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 11:06:12 PM »

SE251 will get it done and a factory download will definely not work a good custom tune will be needed or it will not run right. Timing needs to be addressed not just fuel.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 09:13:43 AM »

:P
GRC.......Yup,  we understand what the catalog says about (race only...parts).  This is a brand new 2009 SE Ultra 110.  I know I already had 110 cylinders,  but new ones are a (part of) the "110 Race Kit".

YES,  they are indeed warranting the whole thing and I got an extra year to boot.  In fact,  we had discussed as an alternative my purchase of a regular 96 Ultra and them altering it to become a 110.  This would mean boring out the cases to accept the 110 jugs and (normally) an HD dealer would (NOT) cover that kind of modification.

This would have left me exposed if I had problems somewhere across the country and needed engine warranty service.  Their answer to that was to have the servicing dealership call or contact them and they would "authorize" any necessary repairs.

I'm just explaining the above to tell ya how it would have worked to have warranty if I had gone that way.

Back to my original concern.  I DO IN FACT have warranty for 3 years (one on extended) but service mgr is saying they can't maintain that warranty if we were to put in (non) Harley cams. :hanged:

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 10:01:24 AM »

Warrenty is obviously important to you so take it from a former dealer employee...
The warrenty offered to you on a "race" parts kit can be considered a "special consideration" by the installing dealer only. This could and would likely be ignored (motor problems only rest of the bike not effected) on the road at a another authorized dealer. That is the reality. If your dealer would pay a dealer out of town to do repairs on your bike it would come out of their pocket, the MOCO would not be involved. Warrenty is between dealer where the bike is for repair and the MOCO not dealer to dealer unless the home dealer was paying the out of town dealer.

A service contract can be considered null and void if either of the parties deviate from the stated agreement. A new contract needs to be written then to have any teeth in court if a failure ended in a despute

If I was entering into a contract such as this I would have the home dealer put all of the details in writing or make amendments to the OEM warrenty because there is specific verbage in direct conflict with the factory contract. If this is left as a verbal agreement then there will be no recourse for the bike owner if the dealer decides to ignore a problem and claim ignorance.

Probably more than you wanted to hear but bottom line the warrenty is just as good as a handshake agreement and honored by your own dealer.

Personally my 07 was delivered to me I trailered it home and immediately pulled the motor apart and decided day one to become the warrenty department for my motor. I will take the bike to the dealer for other issues.
Never looked back or have regrets.

In the years I have been around these bikes just seen too many guys play the dealer game with motor work and they spend more time argueing and waiting in the ques to be helped plus then the work in a lot of cases is not up to par.

No thanks not for me anyway, may suit others.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:09:07 AM by Deweysheads »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 22 queries.