Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Electrical Problems  (Read 9078 times)

softail

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHX w/103
    • CVO3: 2003 Anniversary Softail w/103 and a 6 speed
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Electrical Problems
« on: August 12, 2009, 07:32:20 AM »

I have a 2009 Screaming Eagle Ultra that is going into the shop for the 3rd time. When I leave on a trip and the bike is not on the trickle charger the battery will eventually die. The dealer has said 2x there is nothing wrong and the battery just needs charged. The most recent time I ran the bike about 2,000 miles over 8 days and the only "extras" were a Zumo GPS and Kurykayn driving lights. (I do have an HID headlight.) The bike died about the 8th day. I put in a new battery because I was in the middle of nowhere and could not charge the old battery. The new battery died in 2 days... Seems like something in the charging system is bad and I am worried about how I am going to get the dealer to properly find it this time. I live in Florida and the bike is going back out to Denver in a week for another 2,500 mile ride. Any tips would be appreciated.
32,000 miles. Completed the 4 Corners in September 2010.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Electrical Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 07:36:41 AM »

Seems to me you do have a charging problem.

I would think the dealer should be able to isolate the problem and resolve the issue.

There are only so many things it could be, I would have to say.....tell the dealer what you told us, that should give them plenty to go on.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 08:18:51 AM »

Charging issue I would think it would either be the stator or voltage regulator (especially since the battery has been replaced). If there is a constant draw on the battery they should be able to hook a meter to the battery and see if something is constantly drawing on it to make it go down. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 08:32:09 AM »

Agreed but always check the cheap stuff first. Cable ends.

softail

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:38:52 AM »

I appreciate the responses. Of course I have told the dealer the nature of the problem the last 2 times. This time I am going to insist he put his best mechanic at troubleshooting electrical problems on the bike. I also downloaded what all of the appropriate readings should be while troubleshooting and am going to ask him to confirm to me what they all are.

On a possibly related note, my bike seems to be exceptionally hot. I have an 03 softail with a 103, an 07 Streetglide with a 103 but this is my first 110. Is it the nature of the beast? Some times it is so hot I swear I can smell the oil cooking.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 10:07:16 AM »

I appreciate the responses. Of course I have told the dealer the nature of the problem the last 2 times. This time I am going to insist he put his best mechanic at troubleshooting electrical problems on the bike. I also downloaded what all of the appropriate readings should be while troubleshooting and am going to ask him to confirm to me what they all are.

On a possibly related note, my bike seems to be exceptionally hot. I have an 03 softail with a 103, an 07 Streetglide with a 103 but this is my first 110. Is it the nature of the beast? Some times it is so hot I swear I can smell the oil cooking.
Yep
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »

It may cool down a little with new oil and a few miles..

The metal temperature measured at the rear cylinder head near the spark plug on my 09 cuse has dropped to 380 ish from over 420 when new...Oil temps went from 290-310 with synlube and new motor to 260-270 with the oil change and the mileage.

I have 5k in miles and it has Mobil 1 Vtwin in the crank...still warm though...We'll see what the new pipe, tune and crankcase oil I have for it do. 

You can only get so much out of the 09 narrow band o2's, maybe the 2010 lambda will be better to tune.

Just my experience, you results may vary.. ;) :D

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 06:13:37 PM »

Yes this seems to be the nature of the beast. Tell ya where I'm at at the moment: trade my cuse4 and softail on a 2010 stock ultra (black of course) and do a simple mod to a 103. Took my roadglide from a 96 to a 103 with mild 203 cams and it was perfect for me. No matter what it cost me to trade.....I'm done with the 110 dance.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:24:40 PM »

DO a real simple test...put a voltmeter on it while it's running...should be able to hold 13.0+ then load it up turn on everything electricial, seat, spots everything... rev it up off of idle 2000-2500 should be ok and watch what happens to the voltage. If it drops or moves very litle ...it isnt' charging. the right way to do it is with an amp guage so you can see how may amps it's really charging with a load. Sometimes they will charge just enough to move the voltmeter a little and put the light  out but not enough to keep it charged. Someone else mentioned cables...Make damn sure they are tight both a the battery, ground and starter. I better shut up now as electricial isn't my strong suit.    The oil is cooking if you have that friggin Syn 3 in it..get that chit out of there go to Amsoil, Redline. Mobil1 anything is better than that...
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Ultrajeb

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC (Red)
    • CVO2: 2007 Softail Custom
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra Classic (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 05:42:46 AM »

Yes this seems to be the nature of the beast. Tell ya where I'm at at the moment: trade my cuse4 and softail on a 2010 stock ultra (black of course) and do a simple mod to a 103. Took my roadglide from a 96 to a 103 with mild 203 cams and it was perfect for me. No matter what it cost me to trade.....I'm done with the 110 dance.
Hey Robmay, reading of your posts when you got the 09, thought you wer pleased with the bike. After reading some of your posts, I got the v&h monster ovals. I have about 2,600 miles on mine and so far pleased. As far as electrical, there was a short in the antenna wire that the the switch housing was giving me a shock at 80 mpg but they found that and the radio plays much louder now with out tingles.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 06:07:03 AM »

Rob
I wonder how many people are thinking the same thing, now this would be a good to read Thread.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 07:25:13 AM »

Rob
I wonder how many people are thinking the same thing, now this would be a good to read Thread.

I've always said if I could get anywhere near what I have in mine it would be gone like a wild goose in winter.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 07:59:49 AM »

I have a 2009 Screaming Eagle Ultra that is going into the shop for the 3rd time. When I leave on a trip and the bike is not on the trickle charger the battery will eventually die. The dealer has said 2x there is nothing wrong and the battery just needs charged. The most recent time I ran the bike about 2,000 miles over 8 days and the only "extras" were a Zumo GPS and Kurykayn driving lights. (I do have an HID headlight.) The bike died about the 8th day. I put in a new battery because I was in the middle of nowhere and could not charge the old battery. The new battery died in 2 days... Seems like something in the charging system is bad and I am worried about how I am going to get the dealer to properly find it this time. I live in Florida and the bike is going back out to Denver in a week for another 2,500 mile ride. Any tips would be appreciated.

You have a voltmeter on the dash, it may not be 100% correct but it should be atleast close.  What does it read at idle and at speed???  Should be around (slightly over) 12V at idle and 14V at speed.  Does it go up any with increase in RPM's, does it stay the same??  If it goes up it's likely the regulator, if it stays the same it's likely the stator.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 08:09:16 AM »

Trade square for a limited...gots a 103 , not the 103 but a 103, yameen?

softail

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 10:07:23 AM »

Thanks to all. The voltmeter fluctuates very little. At idle, (1,000 rpmish) it is probably around 13.8 or 13.9. At 3,000 RPM under load it is normally at 14 or 14.1. When I was riding with a dead battery I had just jumped it was up to more like 14.2 but most of the time there is little movement. Thanks for all of the tips and what should measure at the battery etc. It is going to the dealership first but if they tell me there is no problem AGAIN I will do my own troubleshooting. Maybe I will measure everything when I get it back anyway just to be sure.

Oil- My dealership will NOT let you put anything but HD oil in the bike... yeah I know they aren't supposed to force you to do that but they do.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.