Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 103 Stage II kit?  (Read 15724 times)

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
Re: 103 Stage II kit?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 09:36:07 AM »

Your numbers are not to bad but the mpg suck. I have seen canned maps give better mpg than that tune but may also lose the points with a canned map. Take it to a differant tuner.   Doc.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 09:45:44 AM »

The PCV may be the culprit and or the tune. That is stinking rich and I would be looking at getting back closer to stock using closed loop for light to mid throttles and adjusting that to richen it up a tad over the EPA settings. Takes a TTS or SEST to do that and a dyno tech that is very familiar with tuning with those.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 10:48:49 AM »

I have an 09 ultra classic Pc-5 went for the 103 kit with 255 cams I get 108 tq/ with 79.2 hp  and 30 miles to the gallon to boot. Can anyone chime in on the mpg they are getting

RL48off,

First thing i would do is take a look at the spark plugs and see what they look like?  (color)  black, tan, white ?  This will give you an idea of how the bike is running not an end all be all, but a good starting point.    

How do you ride? Lot of i-4 / 95 ?  What is your typical rpm range?

Some adjustments can be made with the Power Commander.  Get with Scotty the tuner up there and let him know what you have found, I am sure they can help out.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:51:05 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

rl48off

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 02:27:54 PM »

I have been running around town mostly with some riding on I-95 I think I need to see what it does on a long ride on I-95 maybe it's running leaner and will get a few extra miles,  Also the build has about 1000 miles on it.  It should be giving me more mpgs./ Scotty is really a nice guy I don't think I will have a problem. I just want to make sure I have enough miles before I bring it back.  Thanks Ronnie
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:16:23 PM by rl48off »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 05:56:01 PM »

rl48off,

you have 1000 miles if the rings arent seated they never will be.  Highway speeds like 95 at 70+ you can expect the fuel mileage to be down a bit.

A good run you may know already know, if so disregard, but I would try a run out 40 through the forest at say 55 mph (try to keep a relatively constant speed for gauging) and see what kind of mileage you get. The route I was speaking of is if you head up to ocala 40w over to 326n/e to 441s and stop on the way back at Gator Joes (food) and Fuel there) in Weirsdale leave ocala harley go right onto 441n to 326s/w (R) to 40e (L)to 314 (R) then go right at the Yellow Blinking Light  464c and it dead ends at gator joes on the way home leave gator joes take a right on to 25c down to 42e (Left) to 19n (L) to 40e (r) and head home.   Should give you some awesome riding as well as a way to gauge your fuel mileage with roads that will allow for constant speeds.

Let us know how you make out.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

rl48off

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »

rl48off,

you have 1000 miles if the rings arent seated they never will be.  Highway speeds like 95 at 70+ you can expect the fuel mileage to be down a bit.

A good run you may know already know, if so disregard, but I would try a run out 40 through the forest at say 55 mph (try to keep a relatively constant speed for gauging) and see what kind of mileage you get. The route I was speaking of is if you head up to ocala 40w over to 326n/e to 441s and stop on the way back at Gator Joes (food) and Fuel there) in Weirsdale leave ocala harley go right onto 441n to 326s/w (R) to 40e (L)to 314 (R) then go right at the Yellow Blinking Light  464c and it dead ends at gator joes on the way home leave gator joes take a right on to 25c down to 42e (Left) to 19n (L) to 40e (r) and head home.   Should give you some awesome riding as well as a way to gauge your fuel mileage with roads that will allow for constant speeds.

Let us know how you make out.

Hey maybe we can make that run together one day. I have been there a couple of times...yes it's a nice ride. Thanks for the directions. when you come into town shoot me an e-mail  RL48off@cfl.rr.com     http://www.lbhs69.com/librando/

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 09:59:55 PM »

egultrac,

Do you have the before and after from the same dyno to show the gains specifically?  Have you tried another dyno just for comparison sake to be sure it isnt a happy dyno?  the 104 while great seems to be a bit high for the mods. 

rl48off

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »

The real question is "does it "feel stronger" than it did in stock form? Dyno numbers can be a bit missleading. After installing a non-cat header, K&N high flow air cleaner, Supertrapp slip on exhaust and a SE Super Tuner on my CVO 110" my numbers were 104 hp and 114 lbs torque. That sounded great. However, the bike actually felt slower than it did in 100% stock configuration. Maybe the tuner at my local shop just didn't know how to tune it properly?              

My bike runs very strong no problem...a lot of tq I'm just not happy with the mpg and the heat that it's giving off

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 12:30:08 PM »

Pretty hard to tell what is happening without seeing the dyno chart.
An increase in peak numbers does not always mean a more fun to ride bike. The most fun comes from the largest average torque in the area where you ride most of the time. The stock SE255 cam comes on right off idle and is done for the most part by 4,500. An extreme comparasion would be the SE stage 4 kit. The torque line (when tested at WOT on a dyno) doesn't even cross the stock line until 2,500 rpm but is still pulling strong at 5K. So in the real world you get higher peak numbers but those numbers occur at higher rpm. the shift lever becomes used much more often dropping a gear especially with the 6 speeds and stock gearing. The best of builds carry high torque over a wide range and do that without using overly high compression. Tuning and pipe are critical to a good result.

"My bike runs very strong no problem...a lot of tq I'm just not happy with the mpg and the heat that it's giving off"

Radiant heat (heat off the motor and especially the pipes) is one thing and actual engine temperature measured at the cylinder head or the oil temperature are different. If the engine temps are in line, which they should be if it is not pinging, or the other extreme timing overly slow, and has a cruise mixture ~14/1 the motor should be happy. Lowers agravate heat due to lack of airflow, both radiant and engine.
Radiant heat can be lowered by wrapping the pipes under the shields. There have been write-ups where guys have done this. Another method is to ceramic coat the pipes in and out and put the heat shields back over those.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 11:29:51 AM »

I have an 09 SG with the stage II 103 kit. I used baffles from Fullsac in stock muffler bodies and a TTS to tune. Depending on settings, milage was all over the place. It's now getting low 40's at 75mph, and into 50's at speeds around 65. It's rich enough to run much cooler, but lean enough to get decent miles per gallon. It took a lot of VTunes using many different settings to get where it is. I'm at 5000 feet. I think the magic numbers are different for every bike.

jb

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 11:38:11 AM »

Now we are on the right page, thanks

rl48off

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »

Now we are on the right page, thanks

I just sent you an e-mail with my dyno sheet but no AF mixture

eleft36

• Full CVO Member
  • Senior Rider
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 09:45:31 AM »

My buddy Dewey has an 09 FXD with the only changes being an Andrews 55 cam and Cycle shck slip-ons 103" flatops, heads milled and 1.9 intake and new stock sized exhaust valve just blending under the intake valve and throat opened nothing more done to the heads and 10.2/1 compression. Tuned with a TFI no redline or timing mods.
104 hp. and 109 tq. SAE
Sometimes less is more!

I think we are being fed pablum by the dealers and settling. I know the new bikes are lower than before the 6 speed came in (06 Dyna 07 BT) but really if you are going to spend the money on a top end why not just do it right first and be sure the tuning plan is solid before even touching a stock 2010.

This says it's running stronger, what is the MPG gain or loss?

Al
2010 CVO 110" Conv. Exhaust, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Adapted H-D Engine Guard, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990 Leather Works Inc. Bags with Deluxe modified guards, H-D Windshield, Thunder Max A/T, '05 CVO Tour Pac, SCRC Chapter 524

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 10:12:20 AM »

When these bikes are properly tuned normal riding yield close to stock mileage, slightly less. 42 is common average. Hard on the throttle all the time you can drop quickly however. You have more reserves, but if they are not used there is no penalty. The AFRs are controlled by the ECM in closed loop mode (cruising) and only slightly enriched to reduce heat.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 10:17:03 AM »

When these bikes are properly tuned normal riding yield close to stock mileage, slightly less. 42 is common average. Hard on the throttle all the time you can drop quickly however. You have more reserves, but if they are not used there is no penalty. The AFRs are controlled by the ECM in closed loop mode (cruising) and only slightly enriched to reduce heat.

I am curious as what you have found to be a good AFR in closed loop to achieve that goal??? I am pretty happy with my tune now, but, still fighting the heat issue.
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.