Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: JIMS 131 ?  (Read 12212 times)

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
JIMS 131 ?
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:13:15 PM »

What is the best price on the Jim's 131 and how has the reliability been with them ?
Thinking of putting one in my 2010 roadglide

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: JIMS 131 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »

You need to talk with Hogbreath (Ken)..

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »

I've got a Jims 131 in a 09 SERG. Long story, but i wouldn't trust them in a chithouse with a muzzle on. You'd like the 131, as long as you don't need any customer service. Non-existant with them.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 02:07:58 PM »

I've got a Jims 131 in a 09 SERG. Long story, but i wouldn't trust them in a chithouse with a muzzle on. You'd like the 131, as long as you don't need any customer service. Non-existant with them.

Just like Harley, Corbin etc.... whats wrong with this picture. Shame on the owners for not staying in touch with their businesses, or just not giving a chit.

I'm sure Rooster will see this and comment, he loves his.

We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:32:20 PM »

They're only available thru a HD dealer. So go to Jenni or another 20% off dealer. Prolly about the best you'll do on em. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 06:39:14 PM »

4 months ago I sent my Jims crank to a well known crank repair company. They could not get Jims to send them the parts needed to repair the crank.
After 3 months of calls and emails theie customer service lady finally contacted us about the crank. At first she said they did not have it, but we had UPS confirmation she then changed her tune.
They billed us for new parts and sent us rebuilt ones. The rebuilt ones were so bad that the plug would not even stay in. It actually popped out :oops:
So after this I personally called and the conversation went like this..."Is Jim there...tell him Brian is calling" reply "hold on one minute Brian , I will get him for you"....."This had been over 14 weeks and when we were contacted we were treated so badly I almost gave up"  Jim tells me "Brian we have a 24 hour return call policy" I start to laugh and sent him the emails to confirm the 14 weeks between contact.
Long story short...they sent me a brand new crank and now after 18 weeks the crank is back in the case :2vrolijk_21:

If you have a problem with them contact Jim directly and pester the hell out of him

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 06:46:27 PM »

Ken tell us how you really feel. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 06:56:28 PM »

I have had just the opposite experience in dealing with Jim's.  They have sent me out new lifters and a new compression release without incident.  I was quite worried about buying a Jim's motor after hearing about Ken's motor.  I did have them weld, true etc on the crank before sending it out to me.   Thought it was worth the extra precaution.

Call Jenny at Tri County HD she had the best price of all the dealers.  I am at about 8 months and no major issues.  
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 07:24:51 PM »

I am very pleased with my motor as long as the rest holds up now. Only 2600 miles but it runs 225-230 which is way cooler than the 110 was and has way more juice. Jenni's price is the best I know of. Reno HD has had a lot of experience with Jim's motors and can give some good advice. Good luck with this. Ken had bad experience with them but my experience was very good with the people at Jim's.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 08:36:15 PM »

At the time my 120 went down..There were about 4-5 Jim's engines that went down ...JUST the ones I know of in my dealership. Before this problem, I was tickled with my 120. Everyone has problems. It's mechanical, they'll tear up. What I didn't like was the way I was treated AFTER I had a problem. I had 10 months on the engine. It then took from May to October to get it resolved. During that 5 month time frame, I overhauled the extension cylinders on a 35 ton crane, rebuilt a 95 HP diesel engine in a telehandler, completed 3 million dollars in contracts, saw the birth of my grandson, and gained 25 pounds.

I hope the 131 lasts. I LOVE the engine. BUT, Jim's has gotten their last dime from me. FOREVER.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 09:27:38 PM »

I put a 131 straight out of the box with the big SE comp sprocket into my ’09 FLHX with 255 miles. I finished the season with 10,367, and I had an absolute blast with this machine.

I did have an issue with noisy lifters and I replaced them with OE pieces after running the engine for 300 miles. I didn’t bother with warranty on the lifters, so I can’t speak to the Customer Service part of the experience. Having had issues with Jim’s sourced lifters in the past, I am not interested in running them, especially since it appears that they continue to have issues with their second generation Twin Cam lifter.

Other than the lifters, it’s just been gas and oil for this machine…well maybe a couple coats of wax and a little tire shine goo….then there has been the occasional chrome accouterment and a few more coats of wax. I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve washed the road dust off this thing. I’ve decided to keep the machine for another season, and I’m thinking about a few more goodies. Ya know, now that you mention it, this thing is really kind of a PITA. If it didn’t run like it does, I’d have to get rid of it.  ;D

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 10:03:39 PM »

When I talked to Reno HD the first thing the guy said was if you don't do anything else, take out the Jim's lifters and use HD ones, and they aren't as noisy.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 10:41:15 PM »

When I talked to Reno HD the first thing the guy said was if you don't do anything else, take out the Jim's lifters and use HD ones, and they aren't as noisy.

I also had problems wih the lifters in my Jims 120, however I had run if for over 10,000 miles. The engine had headwork and cams change. I was putting out 131 HP and 134 TQ.

It was the lifters (same as the HD SE lifters)that went grenaded the engine, with the help of SBC we sent the engine back to Jims, after evaluation they replaced the whole engine. So I have had good service from them and would consider another Jims 120/131, however would change out to the Harley B lifters.

geezerglide

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 11:01:30 AM »

I didn't use the SE lifters just HD ones don't remember the part number right now. My numbers weren't that high but it was over 90f that day and the tuner said there is more in there but with the heat best he could do. Might have to get a better tune one day but it runs strong as is so I am very happy for now.

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 12:28:42 PM »

Thanks for all the info sounds like there customer service is in need of some help,I will be looking to do something this summer so I will
be doing some more investigating on my final decision ,I have an appointment with cycle Rama the 29th of DEC,to get my bike tuned
I will probably have Wes put a build together and then decide between the two 
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 21 queries.