Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cigarette lighter...I'm baffled!  (Read 9828 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Cigarette lighter...I'm baffled!
« on: March 18, 2010, 12:16:28 AM »

My lighter quit working...but not so simple.  Not only is the lighter not working, but my Garmin 550 stopped the audio through the speakers at the same time. 

First, is there a fuse for the lighter somewhere?  I checked the service manual and none of the fuses listed mention the lighter.

Can I just get a new lighter assembly, if I need one, anywhere?  Or does it have to be something special to fit my bike properly?

Yes, I have tried more than one lighter in it and it still does not work.

The GPS is wired to the lighter and no it does not power on anymore.

The GPS will power up on battery power, and it works fine, except there is no voice through the speakers on the bike, nor will my mp3's play through the speakers on the bike now.  The mp3's load and I can select different songs, and I can see the counter for the songs counting, but no sound on the AUX.

That would mean that the speakers in my lowers are no longer playing at all, since the amp is also connected through the lighter.

I haven't noticed anything else not working yet...turn signals and gauges, etc are working fine.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Cigarette lighter...I'm baffled!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:18:42 AM »

Accessory fuse.  Check the fuse block.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:39:18 AM »

Accessory fuse.  Check the fuse block.

Accessory fuse is okay and I tried the spare in there also.  No luck there.  I'm still without everything.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 01:13:56 AM »

Did you check all the fuses?  I've seen the markings on the lids not match the functions of the fuses.

If all fuses are good have to look further (he says as if it's really insightful and not obvious and insipid).  There's not an inline fuse anywhere.  You didn't say how/where you'd jumped off the lighter plug's power for the added connections.  If anything has been cut/spliced/crimped/altered/messed with that has to be a place to check also.

The lighter plugs can fail.  But if they fail internally it wouldn't impact on other accessories powered by taps off the harness to the lighter plug before it got to the lighter.  And if the lighter had blown a fuse you'd:

A: find the blown fuse
B: if I remember right you'd see more dead on that circuit

09fltrse3

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 02:09:09 AM »

On my SERG supplemental manual, the cig lighter is powered by the P & A 15 amp fuse. This fuse also powers the Accessary switch. Andy

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:49:54 AM »

On my SERG supplemental manual, the cig lighter is powered by the P & A 15 amp fuse. This fuse also powers the Accessary switch. Andy

There are two 15 amp fuses for accessories, one is called "Accessories" and the other is called "P&A".  The one called "P&A" is the one that protects the circuit for the cigar lighter.  So the first thing to do is check for power on the output side of the fuse (use a meter or test light, fuses can appear OK and still be NG).  If you have power going to the cigar lighter circuit, I would go directly to the taps or splices you used to power the GPS and amp.  You may have a broken wire at a splice, especially if you used those crimp-on quick taps.  Get a test light if you don't have a meter and just trace the wire until you find where it goes dead.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:59:15 AM »

No power to the Zumo mount and you will not get voice/MP3's to play thru your radio on battery power they are disabled. Once you find out why you don't have power to your cigarette lighter and get power back to your Zumo mount then the audio will return.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ultra2010

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:02:43 AM »

+1 on what GRC said.  Last year I had the same thing.  Went crazy looking for the problem.  On a wire I had run, it rubbed through, a VERY VERY tiny rub, missed it about 5 times.  Sit back, trace, inspect, double/triple check connections.  It's there somewhere.  Are you getting sound from non-aux radio menus?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »

Don't get hung up on the +12 VDC power, what about the ground wire?  It's a separate wire on the cigarette lighter, could have fallen off.  Where did you attach the ground for the ZUMO? Did you tap into the lighter's ground, maybe that tap thingy cut the wire.

When grounds are missing, devices can try to back feed and cause other weird symptoms. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:39:46 AM »

It was the P&A fuse. Thanks for all the input.

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »

Did you run a seperate inline fuse for the Garmin? If not...you should.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 12:26:42 PM »

I think the amplifier might draw more current than the GPS, and it would be my choice for a separate circuit.   Either way, if the fuse blew it could just be a bad fuse, or there could be too much on that circuit, or there could be a damaged wire causing an intermittent short.  In other words, I think it would be a good idea to continue the diagnostic routine beyond just replacing the fuse.  Fuses rarely fail for no reason.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »

The install instructions for the Garmin call for an inline fuse if using the lighter.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »

Yes, I have the inline fuse.  Everything is fine now and I just put my bike back together and ready to ride.  I figured out how I blew the fuse also.  I forgot that I was playing around with the inside of the lighter trying to make a different lighter fit and trying to bend the tabs inside the lighter.  I stuck a screwdriver in there and my guess is that had something to do with it.  The bike has been sitting all winter and that's the only thing that could have done it.  I played the mp3 player in the GPS recently and I'm betting that I screwed with the lighter after that.  Now I have a skull head lighter with red eyes...yippee!

Page created in 0.705 seconds with 21 queries.