Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Why a 107CI build with TC 88 heads?  (Read 17056 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Why a 107CI build with TC 88 heads?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »

Tom,

It should be similiar I would just expect lower. 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Tom149

• 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate, 107CI
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate
    • CVO2: Non-CVO 98' Fatboy 95th Anniversary Edition - Wife's Ride
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 08:44:12 PM »

Tom,

It should be similiar I would just expect lower. 

Unbalanced,

I agree, LOWER!

Tom
Tom

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2010, 11:04:15 PM »

I can't see how the spigot is a non stressed area since the piston rides into the spigot area.  The piston then dwells at the bottom like it does at the top when the rod reverses direction.   :nixweiss:

I know there are these builds out there, but I dont think that I will be using the stock cylinders if I end up going 106/107.  I have to believe that S&S has earned their credibility over the last 52 years, and has done the testing to be able to make statements like they do here in print.  

My biggest fear would be a cracked cylinder or an out of round condition which could be caused by over heating due to weather and traffic conditions.

I now leaning towards the the Axtell or S&S Jugs.  The money spent on the after market cylinders above what it would have cost to bore a set of stock cylinders seems to be good peace of mind.  Just like home owners insurance ... no one wants it, but sure glad you had it if you ever needed it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:08:18 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Tom149

• 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate, 107CI
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate
    • CVO2: Non-CVO 98' Fatboy 95th Anniversary Edition - Wife's Ride
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 12:35:26 AM »

I can't see how the spigot is a non stressed area since the piston rides into the spigot area.  The piston then dwells at the bottom like it does at the top when the rod reverses direction.   :nixweiss:

I know there are these builds out there, but I dont think that I will be using the stock cylinders if I end up going 106/107.  I have to believe that S&S has earned their credibility over the last 52 years, and has done the testing to be able to make statements like they do here in print.  

My biggest fear would be a cracked cylinder or an out of round condition which could be caused by over heating due to weather and traffic conditions.

I now leaning towards the the Axtell or S&S Jugs.  The money spent on the after market cylinders above what it would have cost to bore a set of stock cylinders seems to be good peace of mind.  Just like home owners insurance ... no one wants it, but sure glad you had it if you ever needed it.

Unbalanced,

I had read that S&S writeup and was ready to pull the trigger on overbore Axtell cylinders when I was doing my build, but again I was assured that the stock bored jugs would be reliable. I SURE HOPE SO. I have to agree, in hindsight, that the cost of new oversize jugs, once you substract the cost of the bore and hone on your stock cylinders maybe worth the peace of mind if nothing else, based on the small additional investment.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:38:50 AM by Tom149 »
Tom

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2010, 08:16:20 AM »

That spigot wall thickness, is NO different than if you bored your OE cylinders. :coolblue:
Scott

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2010, 09:42:58 AM »

Scott,

What about the liner thickness as well as the Spigot?   

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2010, 11:04:57 AM »

What about the liner thickness as well as the Spigot? 

The math
Stock liner minor diameter (thinest point remember these are centrifugal spun-cast iron) = .200 - .094 per side = .106"

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »

What Don said......... :)
Scott
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.