Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: "Limp mode" and how I got there and left it in La.  (Read 22870 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
"Limp mode" and how I got there and left it in La.
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »

While in Louisiana (770 miles from home) and down in the Bayou (25 miles from civilization) my 09 SEUC went into "Limp mode".
Having never experienced that before I wasn't sure what to do. We were about 5 miles from our destination so I "limped" there.
The motor would only run at 2K rpm with no throttle control. It was last Friday evening so I called my service manager's (in Charlotte) cell phone.
When he answered I told him what the issue was and he said he would call me back in a few minutes. He called back and told me the sequence to reset so the bike would come out of limp mode. It worked and we left the swamp. A few miles down the road it went back into "limp mode" again. I stopped and reset the bike again. This time it ran OK to get us back to the motel. The next day I took it to Hammond Harley Davidson so they could fix it. Per the "code" displayed they said they needed to change some connection pins at the ECM. They told me that they had seen this before and asked if I had been riding on rough roads. I responded with "this is Louisiana, all the roads are rough". They changed the pins, test rode it and said it was good to go. RIGHT! I rode it the 770 miles home and took the bike to my dealer so they could REcheck it.
I'm at 28500 miles and they are telling me that Harley is aware that during periods of much vibration or mileage over 8000 this can occur. They then showed me a copy of  2/4 TT418 of which I have scanned and attached. Please read what it says. I am just amazed that now every 8K or more miles I need to have my connection pins checked for corrosion or looseness. Even with 28K on the bike the roads in La were the bumpiest I had ever been on. Hell, back in the Bayou I was just glad they were paved even though they were rough. So add another concern I need to consider when travelling with my 09 110 that I never considered.

TBW/FBW or whatever it's called, isn't technology great!

SBB

click on the attchment to enlarge
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:48:15 PM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: "Limp mode" and how I got there and left it in La.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:13:43 PM »

Chip, as always you're on top of things.  Thanks for the good info and sorry for your hassles!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »

Thanks for the good poop Chip. Good info and glad you got it worked out w/o too much hassle.

What a bunch of chit.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:25:02 PM »

I know this is a totally dumb question, but what is the MoCo's plan to eliminate that problem (other than having the owner's remove pins from connectors and clean them, that is)?  Sounds like just more of the same ol' same ol', with the customer bearing the burden of poor design/poor manufacturing/poor customer service.  I'd hate to be riding across the desert out west and go into "limp home" mode 200 miles from anywhere.  And why is this not considered a safety defect requiring a recall? 

Absolutely amazing, once again.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:38:07 PM »

I fI may ask...what is the procedure to reset from Limp mode??

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 05:38:53 PM »

I know this is a totally dumb question, but what is the MoCo's plan to eliminate that problem (other than having the owner's remove pins from connectors and clean them, that is)?  Sounds like just more of the same ol' same ol', with the customer bearing the burden of poor design/poor manufacturing/poor customer service.  I'd hate to be riding across the desert out west and go into "limp home" mode 200 miles from anywhere.  And why is this not considered a safety defect requiring a recall? 

Absolutely amazing, once again.

Jerry

Jerry

I been waiting for your post.
Unfortunately there seems to be no plan.
And yesterday when riding the 01 SERG on the Blue Ridge Parkway I was very thankful there was no TBW on that bike.

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:39:22 PM »

Is this dissimilar metals in the pins/sockets/wires or has HD created a new area of foreign intrusion that hadn't been problematic before?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »

I fI may ask...what is the procedure to reset from Limp mode??

What I was told to do was,

With the "OFF Run" handlebar switch in the "RUN" position, you then turn the ignition switch (keyed switch) on and off 4 times and the ECM resets.
I did that and it worked.
Why it works, I don't have a clue and out in the Bayou I was just glad it did.

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »

What I was told to do was,

With the "OFF Run" handlebar switch in the "RUN" position, you then turn the ignition switch (keyed switch) on and off 4 times and the ECM resets.
I did that and it worked.
Why it works, I don't have a clue and out in the Bayou I was just glad it did.

SBB

Thanks

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 06:04:58 PM »

While in Louisiana (770 miles from home) and down in the Bayou (25 miles from civilization) my 09 SEUC went into "Limp mode".
Having never experienced that before I wasn't sure what to do. We were about 5 miles from our destination so I "limped" there.
The motor would only run at 2K rpm with no throttle control. It was last Friday evening so I called my service manager's (in Charlotte) cell phone.
When he answered I told him what the issue was and he said he would call me back in a few minutes. He called back and told me the sequence to reset so the bike would come out of limp mode. It worked and we left the swamp. A few miles down the road it went back into "limp mode" again. I stopped and reset the bike again. This time it ran OK to get us back to the motel. The next day I took it to Hammond Harley Davidson so they could fix it. Per the "code" displayed they said they needed to change some connection pins at the ECM. They told me that they had seen this before and asked if I had been riding on rough roads. I responded with "this is Louisiana, all the roads are rough". They changed the pins, test rode it and said it was good to go. RIGHT! I rode it the 770 miles home and took the bike to my dealer so they could REcheck it.
I'm at 28500 miles and they are telling me that Harley is aware that during periods of much vibration or mileage over 8000 this can occur. They then showed me a copy of  2/4 TT418 of which I have scanned and attached. Please read what it says. I am just amazed that now every 8K or more miles I need to have my connection pins checked for corrosion or looseness. Even with 28K on the bike the roads in La were the bumpiest I had ever been on. Hell, back in the Bayou I was just glad they were paved even though they were rough. So add another concern I need to consider when travelling with my 09 110 that I never considered.

SBB

I'd still rather a carburetor. Period.  Glad it worked out.  What about Dielectric grease on the pins if its corrosion?
Any day on the bike is a good day.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 06:15:37 PM »

I'd still rather a carburetor. Period.  Glad it worked out.  What about Dielectric grease on the pins if its corrosion?

Hammond Harley said they packed the connections full when they replaced the pins.
And same for my dealer here when they checked everything.

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 06:45:26 PM »

SBB

Bent a pushrod in my Pan years ago......150mi from home.
Took both pushrods out of the rear cylinder, rode home on the front cylinder.
Try THAT with the new bikes!!
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 07:26:09 PM »

chip stay out of that dang swamp. that places rusts everything. keep on ridge running ;D

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 08:00:09 PM »

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »

Is this dissimilar metals in the pins/sockets/wires or has HD created a new area of foreign intrusion that hadn't been problematic before?

Don, somehow H-D just keeps finding ways to take simple technology that isn't problematic anywhere else and screw it up.  And what's even worse is they seem to keep getting away with it without the major repercussions that would be felt by other companies if their products crapped out if you drove them over bumpy roads, for instance.  What kind of total BS is that?  I wonder if Toyota or Ford could just tell their customers that they might have to get their electrical connectors in their cars disassembled, tweaked, cleaned, and reassembled at 8,000 miles, or that they should avoid rough roads?  And btw, I don't suppose all that disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling is going to loosen the fit of those pins and sockets at all.  No need to worry, I'm sure H-D will make certain that only the most highly trained technicians are allowed to screw with this stuff.  Or maybe the wash boy, if no highly trained tech is available.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.