Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: SE110 Now I am scared!  (Read 7383 times)

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
Re: SE110 Now I am scared!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 07:27:39 PM »

I would have looked for a later year, but like fools you know what they say about hindsight.   Mine makes enough bad noises that I will be rebuilding it before long.  Nothing major, just the crankshaft, bearings, cylinders...pistons...valve guides and seals....uh, compression releases...maybe the oil pump.  I agree with the comment that having to buy an extended warranty to cover shoddy engineering and build is ridiculous.  Would you hire an electrician who says for an extra thousand he'll come back and fix his mistakes - if you can prove he did it?

What exactly makes the Newer 110's any better?? I'm still reading about alot of issues.
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

Mr_Ed

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 Razor Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Crimson Mist
    • CVO3: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »

Well I bought my first bike in May 2009 mothers day weekend a nice new 09 Fatboy. I liked the bike but realized quickly I needed something bigger for my large ass.

I made the mistake of visiting the local HD dealer and FELL IN LOVE with a cobalt 2007 CVO SE Roadking. After getting hurt on my trade :( and paying 27k for the 07 with 5000 miles (DOING NO RESEARCH) I happily rode my new baby home.

Well you know what they say about a FOOL.

I now have put about 1800 miles on the bike and no issues but after reading all the forums I am scared. Can I really expect all these issues I am seeing on my 110se? Or are some of them good to go?

Is there anything I should do to be proactive? I did buy the three year warranty....

For some "Balance"....

I have an 07 SERK....ride it everyday of the year rain or shine...unless the roads are ice....over 25K on the bike with NO issues....runs like a raped ape and I run it hard !!!

Had the head gaskets done...but only once they started leaking....first one was at 4K....second was at 22K

Vance and Hines true duals...CFR's...tuner and custom map...road it away and never looked back....haven't been able to slow down long enough too.... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 12:06:57 AM »

For some "Balance"....

I have an 07 SERK....ride it everyday of the year rain or shine...unless the roads are ice....over 25K on the bike with NO issues....runs like a raped ape and I run it hard !!!

Had the head gaskets done...but only once they started leaking....first one was at 4K....second was at 22K

Vance and Hines true duals...CFR's...tuner and custom map...road it away and never looked back....haven't been able to slow down long enough too.... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

oxymoron? :confused5:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 12:09:11 AM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 07:39:22 AM »

It's a relative state of mind, "no issues" compared to others.  I had more problems than that in the first months with the first engine.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 08:33:50 AM »

exhaust, high flow air filter, cams, tune, get the recall done, then ride it like you stole it!!!!! :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »

It's a relative state of mind, "no issues" compared to others.  I had more problems than that in the first months with the first engine.

I hear ya.  It never ceases to amaze me how so many folks gloss over all the problems and discount the fact that they had to spend thousands to make their $35,000 motorcycle halfway reliable and run almost as well as a $8,000 Yamaha.  I always wonder if the same folks who drink all the Harley Kool-Aid are as tolerant with their automotive purchases, or the heating system in their home, or any other major product.  Let's see, it's 10° below zero this morning, and the furnace failed to fire up again, but that's OK, we've got plenty of sweatshirts and blankets, and summer will eventually get here and make it all better.  That would be the scenario if Lennox could get Harley to sell them some of that Kool-Aid.  I think MoCo management is missing out on a huge opportunity by not licensing it to other companies.  For instance, if Toyota had the benefit of the Harley Kool-Aid, they wouldn't be the butt of late night jokes or the target of congressional headline seekers, and they wouldn't have to explain their "f$%* the customers, let's keep all this chit secret" policies.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »

i agree jerry...whether it's a $7k 883 or a $35k cvo it should run perfectly for years like cars do

if i ran my bikes stock or stage 1 i'd be pissed as everyone else

but i always pull heads, have them ported/blueprinted, change cams, put mls head gaskets, and tune fuel and ignition

14k hard miles on my "slightly modified" '08 fxdse2 and zero issues
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »

I hear ya.  It never ceases to amaze me how so many folks gloss over all the problems and discount the fact that they had to spend thousands to make their $35,000 motorcycle halfway reliable and run almost as well as a $8,000 Yamaha.  I always wonder if the same folks who drink all the Harley Kool-Aid are as tolerant with their automotive purchases, or the heating system in their home, or any other major product.  Let's see, it's 10° below zero this morning, and the furnace failed to fire up again, but that's OK, we've got plenty of sweatshirts and blankets, and summer will eventually get here and make it all better.  That would be the scenario if Lennox could get Harley to sell them some of that Kool-Aid.  I think MoCo management is missing out on a huge opportunity by not licensing it to other companies.  For instance, if Toyota had the benefit of the Harley Kool-Aid, they wouldn't be the butt of late night jokes or the target of congressional headline seekers, and they wouldn't have to explain their "f$%* the customers, let's keep all this chit secret" policies.

Jerry, which flavor of kool-Aid are you drinking?? Looks like you are still riding the Harley brand sometimes. Can you please post a picture of your $8,000 dollar Yamaha? I sure would like to see what makes your Yamaha compare to the H.D. I never could understand why anyone would love the "rice burners" but then spend all of their time on a "harley" site. I have owned Goldwings in the past and I have owned two Yamaha Roadstars. Trust me when I say that the Yamaha was in the shop way more than my Harleys have been in the shop. The ONLY reason that I had TWO Roadstars is that I had so much trouble with the first one, Yamha stepped up to the plate and bought me out of the first one and gave me a super deal on a new one to keep me happy. The lifters were so noisy on the first bike, that it sounded like I was dragging a tow chain behind the bike. The Goldwing was mostly reliable but they also have their problems. Harley DEFINITELY has some problems, but if I were as unhappy as you seem to be ---- there are many other brands for you to choose from.  I personally have been VERY happy with the past 5 Harleys that I have owned and will continue to buy the H.D. brand. Why is it (me included) that every person that buys a "rice burner" spends hundreds of dollars trying to make their bikes LOOK and SOUND like a Harley???? I have not heard of ANYONE try to make their Harley look or sound like a "rice burner"!! If you are so friggin pissed at the H.D. boys -- sell the bike. Put a new Yamaha and a new Ultra side by side and look at the quality difference. In my eyes the Yamaha  -- looses.

Jerry

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 11:05:38 AM »

bought a victory in '02 cause i wanted to try something different...it really needed a tune, ran pig rich and would foul plugs in town...a power commander would've fixed that, but i didn't know it at the time...main reason i came back to harley is people kept asking "what is that, a honda?"

will never own anything else
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Mr_Ed

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »

Jerry

No Oxymoron...and I didn't gloss over anything....what I meant was....

Head gaskets were a design flaw....I don't really think that's "an issue" per "my" definition of "issues"....

I've had "issues" with things in life and I know the difference....it was a known situation that once understood was addressed and to be honest and fair...my bike leaked less oil with the bad gaskets than my *ss does when I run....there's never been an oil spot on my garage floor....can all you guys say that about the underwear your old ladies are washing ???

True perfection is unobtainable in anything short of divine....and the times I get frustrated because I want it and don't have it I can hear my dads words echoing in my head....

"if you're looking for perfection you might wanna start looking in a mirror for it first".....lmao....that old man had a lot of wisdom  :2vrolijk_21:

I'm not dismissing all the problems that some have had and are still having with this motor...my whole point was....not "everyone" has had the same bad luck...

Semper Fi
Ed

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 09:37:26 PM »

No Oxymoron...and I didn't gloss over anything....what I meant was....

Head gaskets were a design flaw....I don't really think that's "an issue" per "my" definition of "issues"....

I've had "issues" with things in life and I know the difference....it was a known situation that once understood was addressed and to be honest and fair...my bike leaked less oil with the bad gaskets than my *ss does when I run....there's never been an oil spot on my garage floor....can all you guys say that about the underwear your old ladies are washing ???

True perfection is unobtainable in anything short of divine....and the times I get frustrated because I want it and don't have it I can hear my dads words echoing in my head....

"if you're looking for perfection you might wanna start looking in a mirror for it first".....lmao....that old man had a lot of wisdom  :2vrolijk_21:

I'm not dismissing all the problems that some have had and are still having with this motor...my whole point was....not "everyone" has had the same bad luck...

Semper Fi
Ed

Bad luck HELL!
Piss poor engineering, sorry execution of design and a total lack of customer service is more than bad luck, it's a bunch of greedy sob's that exist only to line their pockets. Concern for the customer (or their employees or the company) is the least of their concern. Sales at the Motor Company confirm my above statement.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 10:27:30 PM »

every so often a thread comes up complaining about quality....

ok... first - all hopped up engines ive ever had were a bit.. uh... trouble - car, bike, whatever 110's ARE hopped up, thats the point.

second - my last two harleys are so much better than my first two harleys that the damn engine could throw a rod at 30 k and i would still say they have been the best, most reliable, least trouble bikes ive ever had - i am so happy with them compared to my first two.

my 77 electraglide.. valve guides never last 25k - NEVER, crank - 35 to 40k, carb - 5k, ignition 2500 miles before at least having the new set in my pocket before going anywhere. rear swing arm bearings - 40 k, front forks - no damping after 20k, trans - leaked every single day i owned it. engine - leaked oil every single day i owned it - NORMAL oil consumption - 900 miles a quart - never longer - get on the bike and head to la - take 3 quarts WITH YOU plus a chain.. chains every month or two, sprockets once per year. head gaskets every so often.. i still have in my tool box the special wrench to remove the heads & all the crap to get a clutch off in 10 mins flat. [you know clean, dry put back together so it wont slip.....] rode it 90 thousand miles - three redos of heads, two of crank, four of trans - one of frame bushings

my 79 sportster - didnt have any signal lights - never could get them to stay on. much faster than the electra glide - needed rod bearings, main bearings, valves, guides & rings every 20 k or so - needed the generator rebuilt after EVERY stoplight race. in 95 or 100 thou miles - 4 sets of heads, crank twice - trans each time i did the crank - gave up on small parts - once they fell off i left them off.

i can still envision what it takes to get the engine out of the frame of either bike in my head - did it once per year, even if it ran fine in november - take it out, clean, fix, repair and have it in by feb or it will be dead on the side of the road by april.

from my point of view - complaining about a base gasket leak thats less than a quart in 1000 miles is WHINING

:drink:

ride the thing, wear it out, have fun - quit worrying about how shiny it is. bugs, grease, oil, dirt are signs of fun - its ok.

Mr_Ed

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 11:28:32 PM »

every so often a thread comes up complaining about quality....

ok... first - all hopped up engines ive ever had were a bit.. uh... trouble - car, bike, whatever 110's ARE hopped up, thats the point.

second - my last two harleys are so much better than my first two harleys that the damn engine could throw a rod at 30 k and i would still say they have been the best, most reliable, least trouble bikes ive ever had - i am so happy with them compared to my first two.

my 77 electraglide.. valve guides never last 25k - NEVER, crank - 35 to 40k, carb - 5k, ignition 2500 miles before at least having the new set in my pocket before going anywhere. rear swing arm bearings - 40 k, front forks - no damping after 20k, trans - leaked every single day i owned it. engine - leaked oil every single day i owned it - NORMAL oil consumption - 900 miles a quart - never longer - get on the bike and head to la - take 3 quarts WITH YOU plus a chain.. chains every month or two, sprockets once per year. head gaskets every so often.. i still have in my tool box the special wrench to remove the heads & all the crap to get a clutch off in 10 mins flat. [you know clean, dry put back together so it wont slip.....] rode it 90 thousand miles - three redos of heads, two of crank, four of trans - one of frame bushings

my 79 sportster - didnt have any signal lights - never could get them to stay on. much faster than the electra glide - needed rod bearings, main bearings, valves, guides & rings every 20 k or so - needed the generator rebuilt after EVERY stoplight race. in 95 or 100 thou miles - 4 sets of heads, crank twice - trans each time i did the crank - gave up on small parts - once they fell off i left them off.

i can still envision what it takes to get the engine out of the frame of either bike in my head - did it once per year, even if it ran fine in november - take it out, clean, fix, repair and have it in by feb or it will be dead on the side of the road by april.

from my point of view - complaining about a base gasket leak thats less than a quart in 1000 miles is WHINING

:drink:

ride the thing, wear it out, have fun - quit worrying about how shiny it is. bugs, grease, oil, dirt are signs of fun - its ok.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 12:07:17 AM »

OK --  OK ---  you guys have convinced me to buy that $8000.00 Yamaguchi. Can you please post the website for the all mighty Yamaha forum, so I can tell everyone on there what a superior bike the Yamaha is to the Harley. I bet there won't be more than a handfull of Harleys at Sturgis this year when the Harley lovers see this thread. I had 35,000 miles on the last CVO (2006 SEUC) with virtually NO problems, but according to some on this tread, my luck is about to expire on the 2010 SEUC. Guesss I had better bail out while I can. :furious2: :knife:  NOT!!

baggergod

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 12:03:17 AM »

Certain clubs have a higher membership fee and you just happened to join one that does not apply the "LEAN" principle in any aspect of its game!!!!
Trust me when I say this, you will look and feel much better riding your CVO to a rally with a bandana and/or that stupid sticker on your helmet (only if applicable) than a Road Star.  Just take it like a man!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 21 queries.