Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Valve Train Noise In Rear Cyl  (Read 4477 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Valve Train Noise In Rear Cyl
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »

Just took the T.R.E. ( Triple Red Express) in because if a valve train noise in the rear cyl..Thought sure enough it was something in the valve train..... Turns  out that the ACR loosened up,  they changed out the ACR all good. May explain some of the unique vlave train noises we scratch our head and go hmmmmm....Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Valve Train Noise In Rear Cyl
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:51:25 AM »

Good to read it was a simple fix and a pretty decent find by someone.  Also glad it only backed off and hadn't pulled any threads.  So, how you liking this bike so far Greg?  Still feel like a good one that you're happy with?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:32:15 AM »

Good to read it was a simple fix and a pretty decent find by someone.  Also glad it only backed off and hadn't pulled any threads.  So, how you liking this bike so far Greg?  Still feel like a good one that you're happy with?

Getting it ready for the Run For The Wall, that why I didn't make OKC Saturday, I really like this bike ... Edd5 put  a great tune up on it...Smooth as glass , makes great power, cruise all day long..Saw a 2010 Citrus & Orange last week, thought about buying it, called Ed about a tune up and got threatened with an ass kickin if I did...Then I thought ..damn I couldn't be a part of the T.R.B. That's (Triple Red Brotherhood) anymore.. That ended the discussion...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 01:36:07 PM »

Was hoping you'd make it to OKC but getting a bike ready for a big run has to take priority.  It's probably good though.  After we were done I don't think the place had any steak left... 8)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »

Every set of heads I get in that have the ACRs they are loose. I tighten them as tight as I can make them before they go out. It sure could be a factory issue.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 04:55:35 PM »

Every set of heads I get in that have the ACRs they are loose. I tighten them as tight as I can make them before they go out. It sure could be a factory issue.

Bet I'm not the only one.... Another interesting side note , last week  before the catch of the ACR, edd5 slipped it back on the dyno to tweak the cruise  area a little and the  VE on the rear hole was acting a little wierd... Gonna go ride it this wekend and see how it acts...Edd is going to compare maps and we'll see what's up. ..  Time for a shout out to Lee Bomar, outstanding  tech at H-D North Texas. If there were more Techs like him..When I pick it up  I'll run down and drop a case of silver bullets   in the  tour pack and then complain about  rattle in the tour pack...Try that next time with your favorite tech... both he and the Service manager will appreciate it....     

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »

Good to read it was a simple fix and a pretty decent find by someone.  Also glad it only backed off and hadn't pulled any threads.  So, how you liking this bike so far Greg?  Still feel like a good one that you're happy with?

Don, I pretty sure that it just loosened up a little  I'll talk to Lee about it today when I pick it up, Harry had a big time problem when his popped out again...Getting ready to run about 7K miles in 22 days and some of them will be hard...

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »

If they were a little  loose like mine any chance of the threads being chewed up?   

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 12:37:26 PM »

Haven't seen that yet.
They snug right up and I use Vibra-tite on the threads

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »

:worthless:
TJ

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 03:13:58 PM »

:worthless:

Yes i know, they did it HD and no pics

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 03:20:02 PM »

Haven't seen that yet.
They snug right up and I use Vibra-tite on the threads

You were spot on as usual, the ACR had backed out about 1/8 "  and the wire wasn't twisted, so it looks like it was loose from the factory and a few miles lossened it up more. Lee removed the ACR checked all the threads, they looked great and installed a new ACR. Once they pull one out they don't reuse it , they install new because of the contact patch of loctite on there. He also told me they have made some changes in the ACR itself since '07...much inproved.. The saga fo the ACR is over for now>>>>       

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 05:04:55 PM »

There you are fixed
I replace the ACRs if they have the old ones. I use Vibraitite as it duplicates the factory coating

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 07:29:51 AM »

Texas103,    could you tell if the ACR was still working when you started the bike?    and just how loud was the noise and was it difficult to discern between that and the typical valve train noise??  How many miles on your bike?
Sounds to me like a good weekend job is to pull the cover and torque the ACR's with some loctite soon.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 08:24:57 AM »

Texas103,    could you tell if the ACR was still working when you started the bike?    and just how loud was the noise and was it difficult to discern between that and the typical valve train noise??  How many miles on your bike?
Sounds to me like a good weekend job is to pull the cover and torque the ACR's with some loctite soon.

The ACR's were working fine, at least it started fine ,. I first noticed it about a month ago, thought it was exhaust noise, re tightened exhaust didn't go away, took it it down  edd5 so we could pull some fuel out of the cruise area, he heard it, checked the exhaust again, all tight and thought its a lifter or something in the valve train . When I took it in  to HD Lee also thought it was exhaust, so he pulled the exhaust off checked for carbon tracking, replaced the gaskets, still noisy, put a stethescope in the window on the head and then really  heard it and bingo. He said that was the first one they had that loosed up like that and it's not a normal occurrence and shouldn't be a problem  and he has no reason to give me the the pat " never heard of that one answer".  Bike has 10500 mikes on it.  If you do your ACR's  Lee told me that Harley's socket to do them is Pi** poor.  Torque spec is 140 inch pounds and their socket starts to slip around the ACR when you apply much more than that.  I know that he tightened more  than 140 inch lbs ...Maybe Dewey or someone else will chime in on this. He showed  me an S&S two piece socket that is a lot better than the HD socket and I believe that's what he used.  What ever it's worth, I'm not going to pull the R.G, apart and check the ACR's , just gonna ride it...       

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 10:53:26 AM »

I made my socket from a 6 point deep milled out and made a wedding band for the bottom to stop flex. I can reef on it no issues.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.