Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: S.E. Race Tuner vs. Power Commander  (Read 14461 times)

Blackdog

• Long Live The King!
Re: S.E. Race Tuner vs. Power Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2003, 03:29:09 PM »

Kelly's in Billerica.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 03:55:20 PM »

they are close to where i work, i was gonna talk to them and see what they have to say
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Blackdog

• Long Live The King!
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2003, 07:37:53 AM »

Let us know how you manke out.  The link below will list all EFI download options.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/HDtechtips/1/2002_06_10.pdf

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2003, 09:32:43 AM »

i spoke to the service department today at kellys and they siad i should definatley have a stage II calibration.

i called my dealr ( Tibby's ) back and told them this and hinted that i really dont expect to be charged another $150 to fix their mistake. i was told they will research it wiht H-D tech and call me back today.  i'm not going to hold my breath

if they dont get bak to me i'm gonna have Kellys recalibrat and i'll send the bill back to my dealer

ashcraft

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2003, 01:26:43 PM »

Have scheduled my 2002 SERK for new SE pipes, hi-flow air cleaner and chip upgrade July 14th. Interested to see what your dealer tells you from H-D. After changing pipes, air cleaner and chip on my Electra-glide, I HAD to upgrade my SERK.
2K2 SERK, purple
2K3 FF Electra-glide Classic

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2003, 03:47:01 PM »

i just got a call back from tibby's after checking with H-D tech support they agree i have the wrong calibration, i'm taking it in next thursday night for a recalibration

H-D_Tech

• Proper combinations and tuning are where it's at.
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2003, 10:20:30 PM »

i just got a call back from tibby's after checking with H-D tech support they agree i have the wrong calibration, i'm taking it in next thursday night for a recalibration

If you are intending to use the Race Tuner, the performance calibrations are included in the software.  Just so you are not taken by surprise, your bike may spit/cough and have a surge even with the Stage II download with the exhaust you are running.  Just a heads up.   ;D

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2003, 09:45:27 AM »

i dont currently have plans for the race tuner, but thaks for the heads up

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2003, 08:47:33 AM »

i've been reprogramed, i now have the Stage II mapping

bike seems to run smoother and rev up quicker and my milage seems to be improving, but i wont know for sure until my next tankfull, and throtel response seems much better

H-D_Tech

• Proper combinations and tuning are where it's at.
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2003, 01:16:14 AM »

i've been reprogramed, i now have the Stage II mapping

bike seems to run smoother and rev up quicker and my milage seems to be improving, but i wont know for sure until my next tankfull, and throtel response seems much better

The miracle of appropriate mapping   [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2003, 08:42:08 AM »

gassed up today and did the numbers. 44.6 MPG this tank was mostly highway avg speed 80-85 with some stop and go city riding, this same type of riding before the reprogram would have got me 35-37 MPG

RATKING

• Enjoy the Ride; Get Back Safe!
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2003, 09:05:59 PM »

After reading all the info, I decided to go with the Race Tuner, for two main reasons.  First, the idea of cutting into 100 year anniversary sheet metal to install the tray for the add-on Power Commander for my FatBoy was not an option.  Second, the versatility and adjustability for a guy who likes to tinker in Advanced Mode is too much to give up.  

But here is a question.  I would like to be able to keep a file of my stock 2003 ECM program on the computer, but do not know if it is possible.  My car fuel injection programs give you this option, so that you can restore the original program when you go to the dealer for service; no warranty issues that way.  This same logic applies to my SERK, plus I would just like to be able to restore it to factory original.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

garya1

• Full CVO Member
  • 2015 CVORG and a host of others
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2003, 09:27:11 PM »

IMHO, race tuner is the best thing out there with PC III a close second. I have 1 RT and 2 PC units..3 diff. bikes, not all on the same one! LOL

However using the RT, it will take your dyno guy longer to get everything just right because he can't do on-the-fly adjustments with the engine running like you can on the PC unit.

I have noticed some shops just recommend what they are familar with which is generally the PC unit because it has been around longer and the sofware in alot of dynos are set up for the PC.

It also takes more knowledge and skill to do a good job with the RT unit.

If any shop looks you in the eye and tells you the PC unit can do everything the RT unit can do, then vote with your feet by leaving that shop alone.

The ability to fine tune VE numbers by cylinder, warm up enrichment etc. etc etc. are only found in the RT unit.

Yes, you can download the actual map in the bike before changing anything and save it under any name you wish.

My SERG is an 01 with the Magneti efi and they do not offer the RT unit. I HAD to go with the PC unit. I then had to also buy the HD 103 stroker map cartridge in order to get enough fuel into the bike. This is because it has a 116 inch S&S kit on it and the PCIII unit can only modify what is already in the ECM program.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 09:36:01 PM by garya1 »
I have had a passion to ride since age 10 when Dad told me I would NEVER have a motorcycle!

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2004, 08:46:57 PM »

I HAD to go with the PC unit. I then had to also buy the HD 103 stroker map cartridge in order to get enough fuel into the bike.

Ummm, no.  The PCIIIR would more than deliver enough fuel.  It's the rev limit that you change with the H-D cartridge.  If someone told you it was fuel, they scammed you.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

garya1

• Full CVO Member
  • 2015 CVORG and a host of others
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2004, 11:27:01 PM »

Uhh Sorry ONE S.E.

You are wrong one this one, in several ways.

First of all, the "rev limiter" has nothing to do with AFR (air fuel ratio) and secondly the MAIN reason you install a map cartridge is to modify the injector pulse-width duration to change the amount of fuel you deliver to the cylinder. There are also anti knock settings, spark advance settings etc etc etc.

I stood right there with my (very good and honest) dyno guy when we could not get enough fuel into the 116, best we could get was 11 - 12 AFR. You may or may not know it, but this is a LEAN condition. This was at the MAX settings on the PC unit.

I then drove about 100 miles round trip to GET the 103 map cartridge and bring it back to the guy. This is because they did not have it in stock at the dealer where I get my dyno work done. I watched him load the 103 cartridge and ONLY THEN could we get the AFR in line along with HP and torque.

There is a very logical reason for this. It is because the PC units only MODIFY the injector pusle coming out of the ECM by up to 150% of what is ALREADY PROGRAMMED into the ECM.

I.E. If your ecm is programmed to a 10 MS injector pulse duration, then the PC unit can only modify that to 15 MS. (10 x 150% = 15. To program the ECM for a 103 versus a 95, you obviously need a longer injector pulse width duration.

1) Before the 103 cartridge: Lean AFR with PC set at max of 150%.

2) After 103 cartridge: correct AFR with PC set around 130% or less depnding upon ACTUAL AFR.

nuff said.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 11:42:25 PM by garya1 »
I have had a passion to ride since age 10 when Dad told me I would NEVER have a motorcycle!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.