Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New  (Read 6175 times)

mfgreen

New
« on: July 04, 2003, 02:34:02 PM »

I have an 03 SERK and would like to satisfy the need for additional power and performance while maintaining reliability.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2003, 09:16:56 PM by mfgreen »

H-D_Tech

• Proper combinations and tuning are where it's at.
Re: New
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 04:34:47 PM »

Goldiron,

There is a ton of power right there in your engine waiting.  If you were to simply change cams, pistons and have headwork done or replace the heads, you would have the stroker motor that you can build from the Parts and Accessory catalog and more.  The production 103's must meet emissions etc.  The production strokers are 9:1 compression.  My personal opinion is that you could either have your existing heads shaved and flowed (or buy heads), change to the forged pistons, 257, 258 or 260 cams, and have exhaust mods.  Would you believe that my mufflers were Screamin Eagle's that were modified?   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Anyhoo, then the Race Tuner loads a stroker map and you adjust fuel from there.  And, of course you would go with a larger throttle body, right?...  
Food for thought, I think it would fly.  I feel confident it would walk away from mine then...  

mfgreen

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 09:19:15 PM »

H_D_TECH,
Does the larger throttle body have a H-D part number and is there more than one to choose from?
Will the bottom end of the motor take the additional power? or Do I have to go to Delkron cases different bearings different crank and different rods.  My point being that at some point in time the mods become overwhelming to the reliability or integrity of the OEM parts and the manufacturer (H-D) does not make these paths of modification abundantly clear due to the governmental interests in the non modification of the motors for EPA compliance.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 06, 2003, 09:26:38 PM by mfgreen »

H-D_Tech

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 10:29:56 PM »

H_D_TECH,
Does the larger throttle body have a H-D part number and is there more than one to choose from?
Will the bottom end of the motor take the additional power? or Do I have to go to Delkron cases different bearings different crank and different rods.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2003, 10:30:26 PM by H-D_Tech »

H-D_Tech

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 01:31:05 AM »

I have an 03 SERK and would like to satisfy the need for additional power and performance while maintaining reliability.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 01:31:37 AM by H-D_Tech »

mfgreen

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 09:22:31 AM »

Mike - what did not live up?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 05:14:32 PM by mfgreen »

mfgreen

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 05:12:34 PM »

Mike,

At present I am unaware of any larger throttle body offered for the Delphi bikes by Harley.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 08:49:46 AM by mfgreen »

mfgreen

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 05:37:49 PM »

Goldiron,

There is a ton of power right there in your engine waiting.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 05:43:34 PM by mfgreen »

H-D_Tech

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 09:54:26 PM »

When you say "or buy heads"; are you suggesting that I buy another set of heads (which ones) that are more suitable to the motor and if so what valve sizes are you thinking of?
When you talk of raising the compression ratio by shaving the heads at what point do I have to rely on 'race gas'?
I understand the advantage of increased compression creating more power however I think that I would prefer to stick with commonly available gasoline, yes, the locally available reformulated type to keep this bike running.
Mike

My heads are shaved .080"  Compression was controlled in the combustion chamber.  Personally, I think that the 103" heads have potential in the hands of the right engine builder.  You can run up to 10.8:1 on street gas if it's set up right with no concerns.  Been there, done that.  If you want to buy a set of heads, I'd recommend H-D's Performance heads, and I would seriously consider 1.940" valves. Hell, I run them on my little ol' mile 95incher...  

mfgreen

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 08:14:48 AM »

HDT,
Is there a way that I could get a view of the drawings (actual size) to determine valve to piston clearances.  AS you know, this will determine the scallop (in the piston top) needed to clearance for runnability.  If there is not a source of these the clearances might be all that I need.
Mike

H-D_Tech

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2003, 11:29:52 PM »

HDT,
Is there a way that I could get a view of the drawings (actual size) to determine valve to piston clearances.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 11:30:50 PM by H-D_Tech »

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2003, 11:07:38 PM »

Clay now or pay latter!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2003, 11:05:53 AM »

« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 11:06:51 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

garya1

• Full CVO Member
  • 2015 CVORG and a host of others
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2003, 08:32:39 PM »

Goldiron:

I have a 01 SERG. I stroked it fo 116 inches with stock cases. However, I did need the race clutch for all the torque.

I exchanged stock heads at BC gerolomy for the WC-3 heads and used the Wood's TW8G cams. 0,590 lift. I also use the same cam on a 95 inch 03 fatboy. both bikes are totally streetable and have great torque.

I agree with another poster: Flow and port the heads, have tge spings set up for the .590 lift cams, get some S&S or HD Forged HC pistons and the race tuner. After a good dyno tune, hang on!
I have had a passion to ride since age 10 when Dad told me I would NEVER have a motorcycle!

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 21 queries.