Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: valve seal question  (Read 4968 times)

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
valve seal question
« on: June 03, 2010, 05:32:11 PM »

Well the on going nightmare continues with my SE MCR heads. Just got them back from NRHS Aka Nawlins Racing. Says the seals were out on both exhaust ports thus causing my oil leak problems. Heads had 400 miles on them and started leaking  about 200 miles after I installed them.

He put new seals in and reassembled. He used Goodson 13-HVS-530 seals.
He said they might stick on valve springs because it was such a tight fit.
Which would cause the seals to go out again!!! WTF why did he put them in then?

Anyone ever used these seals in a twin cam application without modifying the stem or the seal to work right?
I'm about ready to scrap this bike and buy a damn Goldwing.
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: valve seal question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 07:31:48 PM »

Have them cut the tops and install .420 seals.
This should be old news for them, no big deal
Just did a set last night and used the  .530 seals but I used AV&V beehives instead of the factory spring.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:33:20 PM by Deweysheads »

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 07:46:25 PM »

Cut the tops off what the seals or the guides. Should they be useing the goodman seals or HD?
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »

Cut the guide tops. SOP for a head porter. NOK or AV&V are good seals, viton

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:02:25 AM »

I think this guy at Nawlins may not know what SOP is.
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:17:10 AM »

This whole job should takes an hour tops which includes thorough cleaning. Goodson sells the cutter if you want to do it yourself and you have a low rpm high torque drill motor.

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 04:14:13 PM »

I took them back and had him put in the stock HD seals they make for these heads.
If it leaks again I'm done and will just order a new set of heads elsewhere.
Unfortunately I sold my old 96 inch twin cam heads so I dont have a core now.
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »

Those seals have been updated, same as used on the new CVO110, and the new ones are pretty stout. The old K-lines suck literally

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 11:11:32 AM »

These were the ones they told me (H-D) were used in that SE head.
Looks like a little aluminum cap with a smal black oil seal in middle.
Looks like a piece of crap to me.
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 11:33:30 AM »

You hit the nail on the head
These are made by K-line and they were used on SE heads until ~2008. They work fine with stock applications but if there is any additional clearance between the guide and stem fit they go south fast. Vitons offer more heat resistance and pliable. The MOCO figured that out too and they changed. The latest SE heads have a black seal that works well and this was preceeded by a green one that worked well too. I hae pulled apart many of the SE heads, all varietys with K-lines that were not even still pushed on the guide and floating. They have to be installed carefully and not too hard but I have dumped my stock of them, no need.
If you want to do yourself a big favor use the seals off a SE 110 CVO 10 model year unless the guides have already been cut.
If so order a set of AV&V from Goodson for .420 X .310 and install those not the K-lines

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 02:35:54 PM »

HDRider53,

These are the newest seals harley has they are the viton seals.  Had to use them to replace the kibble whites which leaked badly. 

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 02:36:17 PM »

part number was
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 03:58:53 PM »

You hit the nail on the head
These are made by K-line and they were used on SE heads until ~2008. They work fine with stock applications but if there is any additional clearance between the guide and stem fit they go south fast. Vitons offer more heat resistance and pliable. The MOCO figured that out too and they changed. The latest SE heads have a black seal that works well and this was preceeded by a green one that worked well too. I hae pulled apart many of the SE heads, all varietys with K-lines that were not even still pushed on the guide and floating. They have to be installed carefully and not too hard but I have dumped my stock of them, no need.
If you want to do yourself a big favor use the seals off a SE 110 CVO 10 model year unless the guides have already been cut.
If so order a set of AV&V from Goodson for .420 X .310 and install those not the K-lines

Dewey,

I am bit concerned by your statements above, due to all the S&S motors that use k-line, all the evo's that have been out there since 84 that have thousands and thousands of miles on them with probably worn out guides from all the miles, and then there is all the sportsters that get over revved that have them in them as well and then there is the Twin Cams from 99 through 04 that have them as well as .   It would seem to me maybe it is an installation problem of slamming them on and distorting them more than anything else.  If you having a problem with them and are a little heavy handed sometimes a little locktite helps.     :nixweiss:  :oops:  :nixweiss::

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »

I don't use them. I threw them away. Times change, we update with the times. I never had any problem with them, the viton is superior that's all. Got to give the customer the best I can  buy that's all. By the way it was factory installed seals that floated so if anyone got heavy handed it was them.
So this is once again not a Good or Bad product analogy
It is a OK and a much better set of choices.
Ask Sachs or other porters and I am sure there will be concurrence.
Harley finally saw the need to change too as you pointed out.
 :orange: :huepfenjump3:

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 07:59:23 PM »

The seals are in and bike back together. I put 150 miles on it today and no leaks.
If they should go again I will upgrade to something else then. My guides are still uncut that said doesn't the 110 SE head use bigger valves than the SE MCR head. Would those seals work as a direct replacement for the K-line or would I have to cut the guide and or do other work to make them fit?

Not picking on Nawlins Racing here in Denver but I really dont think that guy knows what he is doing.
I was originally going to have him port the SE heads and do a performance valve job but then he quoted me a super high price saying he couldn't CNC the heads and would have to port by hand. Then he put the wrong seals in the head and when I mentioned cutting the valve guides and putting in .420 vitons he said he couldn't do that. Then I asked him to check and make sure my heads weren't warped or out of flat for some reason and he said he had no way of doing that.
He did put in the K-line seals that I provided for free but it was his mistake to put the .530 in to start with.
I asked him what there main business was and he said porting and redoing heads!!!
He seemed like a nice guy though.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 10:02:24 AM by hdrider53 »
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.