Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: New 110 Motor Question  (Read 5005 times)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
Re: New 110 Motor Question
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 12:25:43 PM »

There are reported issues with the SE compensator as well. Galling due to lube shortage.

Damn
Oh thanks Don.
That's just the news I wanted to hear. (read)
Lube shortage? More than standard fluid needed? Is there a fix or what?

SBB

:vrolijk27: :vrolijk27: :vrolijk27:

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 12:45:59 PM »

Nope
No oil gets into the journal between the main and rotating members. I believe they had intended the grooved washer to let oil in there. The journal and the spokes where the cam rides are galling. I've added oil grooves to the face of the sprocket next to the extension shaft to try and get more oil in there. Too few of miles to know if it helps or not.

Tabatha

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »

I live in Reno--it gets hot here, but not like Az.--I had similiar problems with noise and I tend to agree that heavy oil is worth a try ! It quieted mine down. Seems like the cooler , the quieter; I added oil coolers for that reason , in addition to the heavy oil ! No more clacking noises ! :)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 02:49:04 PM »

I have been using Amsoil 20/50 and was considering using Redline 20/60 to help quiet this issue down. My thought is that if the oil cant get into journal then I guess 20/60 wont get in there either.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 03:18:31 PM »

I have been using Amsoil 20/50 and was considering using Redline 20/60 to help quiet this issue down. My thought is that if the oil cant get into journal then I guess 20/60 wont get in there either.

The area Don is talking about is in the primary, so you can use the Redline 20w60 in the engine if you want without affecting the compensator.  What lube are you using in the primary and the trans?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »

Silly Me!! Redline Tranny Shock Proof and Redline Primary Fluid.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:40:58 PM by DESERTBEAR54 »
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »

Well, you're using excellent products in all 3 holes so I don't think your problem is related to your choice of fluids.

I know you recently got a new engine, but if I remember correctly when H-D ships an engine in a crate to a dealer it doesn't include the primary components.  Do you know if the primary bits and pieces were changed, or did they just reinstall the old parts?  I'm working from memory here, and my memory tends to be poor, but I thought one of your original complaints before the engine change was a "clacking" noise at idle when hot. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 03:59:02 PM »

Your memory is serving you well because on the other motor that was one of my issues was the clacking noise at idle and when I pull in the clutch it goes away. They probably just installed the new motor and installed new bearings in my tranny. Being that its a 2010 it should have the newer SE Compensator??

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »

Being that its a 2010 it should have the newer SE Compensator??

2010 CVO bikes have it standard.  Now for 2011, the regular bikes get it also.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »

A good friend of mine that bought a 2010 103 limited also has the clacking noise when it gets hot. When he pulls the cluch in the clacking stops.

Tabatha

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »

The only thing it does which is different then my 08 SEUC 110 is when the motor gets extremly hot when I come to a stop and put it in neutral I hear this loud clacking noise. It only does it when its hot outside and wont do it if it is cooler. Is this something of concern or should I just live with it?
             This sound occurs when you put it in neutral---or----when you pull in the clutch----or do you hold the clutch in while in neutral ? If the heavier oil does not stop the noise, you may consider 1) engine too hot  2) oil pressure insufficient  3) a trip to your service dept.; with a new engine comes a new warranty and notice to the MoCo of a suspect problem goes a long way when the stuff hits the fan ! :confused5:

apartaapee

• CVO Fat Bob 2009
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 02:14:52 AM »

I live in Reno--it gets hot here, but not like Az.--I had similiar problems with noise and I tend to agree that heavy oil is worth a try ! It quieted mine down. Seems like the cooler , the quieter; I added oil coolers for that reason , in addition to the heavy oil ! No more clacking noises ! :)

Tabatha,

Could you please describe, what did you exactly do with your CVO FB? I have the same bike like you know. Which oil and what about the oil coolers?

Cheers,
-aapee-

Screamin' Eagle Mufflers
Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather
Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner (Smart Tune)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 08:40:40 AM »

This sound occurs when you put it in neutral---or----when you pull in the clutch----or do you hold the clutch in while in neutral ? If the heavier oil does not stop the noise, you may consider 1) engine too hot  2) oil pressure insufficient  3) a trip to your service dept.; with a new engine comes a new warranty and notice to the MoCo of a suspect problem goes a long way when the stuff hits the fan ! :confused5:
I don't think so.  The bike is under a 2-year factory warranty and after the two years the moco is done.  Unless you have an ESP or the moco in their infinite goodness decides to make some kind of warranty adjustment you are sol even if the new engine fails.  After 2 years the moco does not have to and is not required to do anything at all.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 09:25:37 AM »

This Clacking sound happens after a nice long freeway ride at OAT of 105. Then when I pull in the garage and put it in neutral the Clacking begins. If I pull-in my clutch the Clacking goes away. If I release the clutch the Clacking comes back.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 10:40:14 AM »

This Clacking sound happens after a nice long freeway ride at OAT of 105. Then when I pull in the garage and put it in neutral the Clacking begins. If I pull-in my clutch the Clacking goes away. If I release the clutch the Clacking comes back.
FWIW I had the same issue after the SE Comp was installed. Dealer told me the chain tensioner was about to make an adjustment ... go ride it. I thought I was being blown off. Left pizzzzed. Rode the bike noise went away  :nixweiss: Same symptom - "clacking" at idle until clutch pulled in.

Just thought I'd toss it out there jic.

Howie
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.