Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil from clutch cable  (Read 3308 times)

lchavez

Oil from clutch cable
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:21:44 PM »

I have an oil leak that looks to be coming from the clutch cable where it goes into the transmission case, just below the transmission dip stick.  I don't have a maintenance manual yet, otherwise I'd check to see if there is a seal that I can start with.  I checked with my local HD dealer and they suggested to replace the entire clutch cable???  Ok, but not sure that's necessary.  Is there a sealing washer in there, where it contacts the case or does the cable somehow provide the sealing and requires replacement after time? BTW- it's a 2000 SERG with 18K miles on it.

Thanks!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Oil from clutch cable
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »

I have an oil leak that looks to be coming from the clutch cable where it goes into the transmission case, just below the transmission dip stick.  I don't have a maintenance manual yet, otherwise I'd check to see if there is a seal that I can start with.  I checked with my local HD dealer and they suggested to replace the entire clutch cable???  Ok, but not sure that's necessary.  Is there a sealing washer in there, where it contacts the case or does the cable somehow provide the sealing and requires replacement after time? BTW- it's a 2000 SERG with 18K miles on it.

Thanks!

There is a simple $.99 O-ring that you can replace first, rather than buy the entire cable.  The part number of the O-ring is 11179.  Any dealer should know this, and should have O-rings in stock.  BTW, that same O-ring comes with the cable if you buy the complete assembly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

lchavez

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »

Thanks Gents!  I'll go pick up that o-ring tomorrow (our dealer is closed on Mondays), but I'll check the vent tube tonight.  Hey, if I remove the cable from the transmission side, will I lose the oil in the case?

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »

Yes, you'll need to take the side cover off to remove the cable, that's the fun part on a dresser, exhaust too!

Craig

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:00:13 PM »

This may be a dumb question, is the cable tight where it goes into the trans cover?

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »

This may be a dumb question, is the cable tight where it goes into the trans cover?
good Q. you may be able to tighten it as it sits
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »

it should be tight but only good and snug , if you over tighten it WILL snap! most cables leak between the 
fitting and the housing. only thing you can do then is replace the cable.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 22 queries.