Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Oil Pressure  (Read 2004 times)

11seshark

No Oil Pressure
« on: July 23, 2011, 11:54:46 PM »

Out riding today on my 2011 FLTRUSE  and notest that if the RPM dropped below 2000 the oil pressure dropped below zero, went to the peg. It was not a gradual drop either it went strait down to the peg. Put it back up to 2000 plus RPM the oil pressure would jump back up to 32 PSI.
What do you think, bad gauge, bad sender bad motor? :-\

Thanks
Bill

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: No Oil Pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 12:12:08 AM »

Hard to say.  What does it sound like when you're just idling and it doesn't reflect any pressure?  Does the sound change the longer you sit there or is it consistant?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

11seshark

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 12:19:26 AM »

The needle just sits on the peg till I get it over 2000 RPM. No change in the sound or idle of the bike while it sits on the peg. That is making me lean towards a bad gauge. The bike only has 3100 miles on it.
Bill

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:50:09 AM »

Bad sending unit?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:53:10 AM »

Easy enough for a competent tech to verify the gauge and sending unit operation using the tools and diagnostic routines that Harley provides, and that would be where I would start.  Plumbing a real certified mechanics pressure gauge into the oil line at the sender location should show immediately if you have a real oil pressure problem or a gauge related problem. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:58:45 AM »

I had the same problem with my 2006 a couple of years ago. Turned out to be a bad sending unit. If you have no noise, it is probably not a loss of oil pressure. I would not ride it until you know the cause. Sending unit is cheap ---- engine is expensive.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 10:51:58 AM »

Might check the ground wire. My oil temp gauge started dong the needle dance then would go from one side to the other. I looked at the ground wire at  the guage and moved it around couldn't see anything bare on it then put the fairing cover back on and now it works again. Worth a try. By the way HDdude told me this. Thanks Jim.

11seshark

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 12:19:23 AM »

I installed a new sender  and oil pressure is fine. What a relief, bad sender not a bad engine!!!! ;D
Thanks for the input
Bill

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 02:46:06 AM »

Always good to hear.  :2vrolijk_21:
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

miceracs

• Live 3 and ride safe
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Best Harley in Brighton 2011

• CVO1: 2015 RoadGlide Ultra CVO
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 05:27:07 AM »

Be warned I had a similar problem on my 2006 CVO Ultra classic Electra glide with 103 engine. At 43,000 miles I had the same error, low/no presure on idol, warning light flickers, OK when engine rev up and under normal running conditions.
The dealer said it was the sender unit which they replaced. On way home, guess what? same problem once the engine had warmed up.
So back it went. On further inspection they found the Oil pump was cracked and the bearing housing near destruction. So all was replaced at vast expence.
This was in April this year, I then went from UK to Croatia to the HOG European event back via Italy up to Holland, total of around 3,500 miles, no problem.
I then put the bike back in for 5,000 mile service before my next trip from UK to Barcelona, Spain in July this  year.
I got to Barcelona OK, 34 deg C heat, engine running at 110-115 deg, lot of stop start in traffic. Oil warning light flickering at idol, Ok on rev.
I put this done to the heat.
Got to Hotel Ok, bike coughing a little and cutting out. Left bike for 5 days not used until the return trip.
We got about 100 yards from hotel when this happend; See the link :   

The bike arrives back in UK this Friday at the dealers. Don't yet know full cause, but I hope its the pump and bearings as this will equate to a warranty claim on HD, including the 740 UK pounds shipping cost of bike. Either way the bike is dead. Dealer in Barcelona estimated repair cost of around 6-7000 Euros.......

So my advice, get the pump and bearings checked out. otherwise this could happen to you!

I will know more next week.
Fortunately, this was my second bike as I purchased the new Road Glide Ultra this year.

Good luck.
I work to fund my ability to roam countries on my bike, I live for the day when I no longer need to work and still do what I want!

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 22 queries.