Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Ya'll all are wearin' me the *#@! out!  (Read 5710 times)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: Ya'll all are wearin' me the *#@! out!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »

My first 110 was an 07 model. Head gaskets at 5500 miles. Head gaskets at 11,000 miles. Bad crank and complete rebuild at 16,000 miles. HD fixed it on their dime every time.

I've had two more 110 engines both in 09 models, and a brand new 110 in an 2011 model. All three of those combined don't have enough miles to know if I'd have probelms or not.

Yes, too many problems. Yes HD footed the bill to fix, repair or replace. No complaints with that. My biggest complaint is they won't just own up to their mistakes. I'd rather hear them say they have an ongoing problem they intend to correct than to hear them say my bike is the only one they've heard of with that problem. Log onto CVOHD and find out 90% of the 07 110 engines have head gasket leaks.

Just say what you mean and mean what you say.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 11:57:37 AM »

i have a 07 96" ultra with a sidecar - 1600 gcvwr

when it had 1000 miles it needed new rings - they put rings, pistons, wrist pins, hone - and broke it in on the dyno

its flawless - uses zero oil between oil changes - pulls the sidecar on cruise control at 80 no problem

no noises, no farts, starts perfect.

best bike ive ever owned  - my first bike was a 79 sportster i got in fall of 78.

all that said - when i do have to work on the engine - ill have the crank welded & install timkens. & i may yet do gear cams - with a sidecar getting to the cam case is a *b*!. & my 2001 ate its cam chains and i dont trust even the new ones now *sigh*

so no they are not all bad - but some obviously are - and when the crank shifts it really really sucks.

but the sportster ate valve guides & rod bearings, repeatedly - and the electra glide ate ... rods, pistons, valve guides, primary and trans seals, leaked all over and would only start on the first kick for a week after a tune.

to

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Blue-Bullet)
    • CVO2: Non CVO-2003 100th Anniversary Roadking (Pearl)
    • CVO3: Non CVO-1981 FXE (Crazy-Bitch)
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »

:huepfenlol2: Ya just gotta love it when you grab that stick....and give her a little twist....   ;D I fully understand that HD has problems. I've got an old '81 AMF FXE out in the Garage right now....She's spread out all over the bench. It's hard to get motivated when you've got one to ride. Fact is though, most of us.   ;) WOULDN'T  8) ride anything else! I just wanted to hear somebody say it!  :drink: Merry Christmas Everyone! I'm headed out to the Garage.... Start putting the 'Crazy Bitch' back together. I call her that cause she takes all my money, and I hardly ever get to ride her.....Merry Christmas! See ya in Tahoe!
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 04:39:21 PM »

i have over 32k miles on my 09 110, any issues have been minor. main one is the compensator, but that has been addressed on the new 11's.
most that have had issues are the ones that have torn into them for mods. i did all my mods myself and the Grey Ghost runs great.
i work for a hd dealer and we see many more issues with the EVO's.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 05:24:51 PM »

I work for a hd dealer and we see many more issues with the EVO's
What issues are you speaking of?

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 05:27:11 PM »

mostly worn out, leaking, no oil pressure, not given a decent burial, ;D
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »

The 110s may not all be crap, but mine had an "acceptable noise" by HD standards that resulted in failure of the lifters.

My money is that had this been deemed unacceptable and replaced early on, I would not be sitting here behind a keyboard for over a month while the dealer waits for parts (last items came in today)

So... I wont get it back by Christmas... but maybe by new years... dealership has 2 techs and is SWAMPED with work.

Not too concerned... but at least I will get it back.... lets see if the angry birds go away and I get a relatively quiet, fun runnign motor....

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 09:54:12 AM »

Just reading between the lines.

I've owned two CVO 110's (wifes). One was less than adequate and the one I still ride runs great, gets excellent mileage, doesn't use any (money)oil between changes, and doesn't (waste) puke any (money)oil no matter how hard I to ride it. I've also owned an (older one)Evo that was gutless but reliable. I've owned a few (trials) Twin Cam 88's that were reliable, i've also (Had some)owned some that were (money eaters) oil eating dogs. I've (dated) owned two SE 103's, one was great, the other was a piece of crap. It seems any (one)HD engine can be reliable, or it can be crap. The bottom line is (they all)that the Motor Company really needs to clean up their act or suffer the consequences. The next (time I, we) generation likely won't put up with the stuff we have. I nearly (dated another one) put a deposit on a 2011 CVO Turd Glide but reconsidered after hearing about some of the quality issues. And so far, my present (one) CVO 110 has been the most reliable (one) Harley I've owned, so it's a keeper.

Let me now apoligize for this but I JUST couldn't resist.....and NEAL dosn't call me SF for nothing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 09:57:13 AM by bubtrauma »
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »

mostly worn out, leaking, no oil pressure, not given a decent burial,
is that you final answer? LOL
That's what happens when you rack up miles on them. why bury them when you can freshen them up?
the twin cams are cheaper to mod, have FI in there favor, but it is hard to beat an EVO for reliability.
a lot of dealerships turn them away, when they are in need of freshening up. sad that the young-ens dont know how to work on anything over 12 years old. hell most of them are barley over that age themselves.

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 11:48:10 AM »

is that you final answer? LOL
That's what happens when you rack up miles on them. why bury them when you can freshen them up?
the twin cams are cheaper to mod, have FI in there favor, but it is hard to beat an EVO for reliability.
a lot of dealerships turn them away, when they are in need of freshening up. sad that the young-ens dont know how to work on anything over 12 years old. hell most of them are barley over that age themselves.

I concur.  Had 2 Evo's.  Modified them enough to bust everyone elses a$$, and they ran forever.  Until the 2cams were born.  Evo gave them a hard time through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, then it was over.  Had a lot of fun on those Evos'.  Still havin' fun on my 2cam.  Down at present, but will be back uip soon.  :2vrolijk_21: Later--HUBBARD 

2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 01:14:07 PM »

I wish I never opened up the Twin Cam thread. All I'm hearin' is how the 110" is a P.O.S. yet most of you own one! Now I ain't used to throwing 30K at a P.O.S.! I realize that HD is 'vintage' I.E. (outdated) technology, but give me 'somethin' to be proud of here damn it! I put 57,000miles on the '07 Ultra Classic 96 cu.in. in 30 months without so much as a hiccup! All I did was change fluids. She started everytime and basically preserved my sanity through a divorce! She got me back hone safe 'many' nights when I couldn't even see. And you're tellin me I traded her for a P.O.S. that needs to be trailered everywhere it goes? Gimme somethin' I can hang onto for christ sake!

Had an 07 110 - several issues, MoCo fixed - no cost to me but my 07 was a PITA.  Have a 2010 110 now.  No issues & love it long time.  

Would not pay much attention to those who just bash an entire engine platform based on 1 bike or 1 overall bad experience.  Of course some back in 07-08 were treated like crap, and others were not.  I was one of those who were not so my opinions are based on that experience. HD made improvements in the 110 mid 2008 that made those models & the ones going forward better engines.

BTW - I ride......and my 2010 has NEVER been on a trailer.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 01:21:06 PM »

Had an 07 110 - several issues, MoCo fixed - no cost to me but my 07 was a PITA.  Have a 2010 110 now.  No issues & love it long time.  

Would not pay much attention to those who just bash an entire engine platform based on 1 bike or 1 overall bad experience.  Of course some back in 07-08 were treated like crap, and others were not.  I was one of those who were not so my opinions are based on that experience. HD made improvements in the 110 mid 2008 that made those models & the ones going forward better engines.

BTW - I ride......and my 2010 has NEVER been on a trailer.

Neither has my '95! But my '65 was, once, hole in the rear piston (my fault!) 8)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:22:40 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 06:05:01 PM »

Neither has my '95! But my '65 was, once, hole in the rear piston (my fault!) 8)

Willing to bet the "hole in the rear piston" story is worth telling.

Merry Christmas!
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »

Willing to bet the "hole in the rear piston" story is worth telling.

Merry Christmas!

It is, but, it takes a few beers to get there! 8)
HOGMIKE

131fun

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »

The solution to 110 is to go bigger. Try 120 or even better yet 131 for size... Ask me what I know about big builds...

I have one...  :jalapeno:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.