Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Valve noise on 2006 CUSE  (Read 4947 times)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
Valve noise on 2006 CUSE
« on: April 10, 2006, 08:51:41 AM »

Has anyone had an issue with their 2006 CUSE where you get valve chatter when starting from a stop and also in other gears when the engine is fully warmed up? Chatter occurs when a moderate load is put on the engine. Bike is stock setup ... no AC, pipes or other engine mods (yet). Oil levels are good. Running AMSOIL. I have the lowers vents open. I just started noticing it this week since the ambient temperature has climbed above 70 degrees. Riding has been both a combo of city and open road. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Valve noise on 2006 CUSE
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 09:17:24 AM »

SEUltra,

I have not seen any of this to date, but i would ask you have you checked the bolts that hold the horn / motor mount bracket to be sure they are all tight.   I had a noise previously that sounded like chatter and it turned out that the front bolt had worked its way loose and it was infact the horn chattering :)

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 10:37:03 AM »

Has anyone had an issue with their 2006 CUSE where you get valve chatter when starting from a stop and also in other gears when the engine is fully warmed up? Chatter occurs when a moderate load is put on the engine. Bike is stock setup ... no AC, pipes or other engine mods (yet). Oil levels are good. Running AMSOIL. I have the lowers vents open. I just started noticing it this week since the ambient temperature has climbed above 70 degrees. Riding has been both a combo of city and open road. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Is it possible you are hearing DETONATION????????? I will bet that is what it is. Now is the time to change your air cleaner, exhaust and fuel injection mangement.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 10:38:35 AM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

lvrider

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 11:03:32 AM »

I recently noticed a similar problem this week with my 05 banana, except mine sounds more like chirping when accelerating through the gears or when giving it more throttle to accelerate.  I didn't have this problem until the dealer replaced my wheels due to chrome issues.  Could it be my rear tire was not adjusted properly and my drive belt is loose?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 11:12:32 AM »

Is it possible you are hearing DETONATION????????? I will bet that is what it is. Now is the time to change your air cleaner, exhaust and fuel injection mangement.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Wouldn't be surprised if it was pinging / detonation.  More likely to notice it once the outside temps start rising.  Also check for loose nuts/bolts at the motor mounts, and I've personally had the fairing lower vents give me a squeak/chirp at low rpms.  I'd put my money on detonation, however.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised if it was pinging / detonation.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 12:57:02 PM »

SEULTRA,

I'll give it a shot: Normal combustion is a controlled burn (not an explosion as some think) that travels from the ignition source (spark plug) across the combustion chamber to consume the air/fuel mixture.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 01:03:20 PM »

Thanks!
Scoot goes into the shop tomorrow for the issue. Damn thing oughta run right as manufactured by the MOCO without me having to spend more money on a fuel management system, AC, pipes, yada yada yada. Maybe the dealer will install a SERT as a warranty fix??  ;D ;D ;D
I still won't buy a Honda but it does make me entertain the thought.  >:(

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 01:29:37 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, SEULTRA,
  I tend to agree with grc.  Sounds a bit lean to me.  If you are seriously contemplating exhaust and air intake modifications, add a SERT to the list.  This in concert with a good tuner, will eliminate the current situation you are experiencing with your Motor.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 01:34:01 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, SEULTRA,

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 03:15:39 PM »

YOU USED THE WORDS "VALVE CHATTER". ARE YOU SURE THE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE VALVE TRAIN?  ITS COMMON TO HEAR "CHATTER NOISE FROM THE TRANS IF YOUR LUGGING MOTOR @ A LOW RPM.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 03:24:43 PM »

YOU USED THE WORDS "VALVE CHATTER". ARE YOU SURE THE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE VALVE TRAIN?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »

SEULTRA do yourself a favor and CHANGE THOSE PIPES they have a catylast in them. Your bike will run cooler and much better and your mileage will increase. You must also change the air cleaner and add at the very least a sert. I promise if done right you will love your ride even more and no more PING!!!!! Jerry good description on detonation. Except for the fact everytime it happens it is hammering away at you piston tops.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 04:28:32 PM »

SEUltra one other question does it sound like in the older car days when you got bad gas almost like a pinging noise or run on after you turned off the key less the final pop?

If it does than that is one sign of detonation.   Usually its to lean / timing is way off usually the places you see this and of course bad gas :).

In the case I had with the 103 to quick closing intake on cam with over compression and even retarding the timing didnt get rid of the detonation.   Had to go to a larger cam / compression releases to get rid of it.

Does the problem go away if you add an octane booster to the fuel (just as a test) ?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 04:54:09 PM »

SEUltra one other question does it sound like in the older car days when you got bad gas almost like a pinging noise or run on after you turned off the key less the final pop?

If it does than that is one sign of detonation.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.