Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Is this statement about true duals valid ?  (Read 3885 times)

Mr_Ed

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 Razor Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Crimson Mist
    • CVO3: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
Is this statement about true duals valid ?
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »

"The Key to using Tru-Duals is using muffs with VERTICAL Baffles. in other words something you can't stick a broom stick up..No reversion= Torque where you need it.>>> Nice crisp throttle response>>"

I know true duals are not the choice for performance, and 2 into 1 is the way to go....BUT.....I had them on my SERK with CFR's and loved the sound and look.  Going to upgrade my SG now and exhaust is changing as well.  While searching and reading I ran into this statement and it made me wonder, so I thought I'd ask, is that true to some degree ?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Is this statement about true duals valid ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:25:53 PM »

I would say partially true. Proper backpressure is important and helps with low end torque.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:36:07 AM »

I know true duals are not the choice for performance, and 2 into 1 is the way to go....BUT.....I had them on my SERK with CFR's and loved the sound and look.  Going to upgrade my SG now and exhaust is changing as well.  While searching and reading I ran into this statement and it made me wonder, so I thought I'd ask, is that true to some degree ?

2 into 1's are suppose to offer the best performance but i think (i might be wrong)  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:this only applies to the tunable 2 into 1 systems. I have a Supper Trap 2:1 on my 2008 and remember the tuner bumping up the numbers messing with the tuning discs..

Mr_Ed

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:19:02 PM »

Thanks Jim....after another ton of reading I've arrived at the same truths you guys have already figured out....funny how that works huh ???

On the left you have true duals....wide open slip-ons....looking good and sounding bad *ss....at the cost of performance

On the right you have 2 into 1 set-ups....great performance....better tunes and numbers achieved....at the cost of looks and sound

....and in the spirit of compromise....a hundred and one products sitting somewhere in the middle designed to give some of both without sacrificing to much of either.  Decisions decisions ::)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:25:13 PM »

Glad that got cleared up!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Mr_Ed

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »

Well I'll tell you one thing....and I certainly don't want to open up a can of worms or start a big *ss debate here....BUT....since I've traded my SERK in on the SG and have been running a stock exhaust, I've had more near misses in the last few months than I've had in all three years on the road king.  The SERK was my first bike with a really loud exhaust system on it and I don't care what anybody says....loud gets heard and people look.  I'm not condoning ripping thru residential areas at 5 in the morning...or breaking the sound barrier on a peaceful Saturday afternoon....but there's a simple reason why police cars, ambulances and fire trucks have sirens.

I loved the true dual setup on the SERK with CFR's, a very deep and noticeable sound even at low rpm that really wasn't that obnoxious unless you wanted it to be, but people knew somebody was somewhere.  Of course I would like to have the same or similar setup and not take the performance hit, that's why I started searching and reading about other ones when I ran into the statement I quoted.

What's been "cleared up" is....there ARE options....just none without compromise  :2vrolijk_21:

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:08:08 PM »

Thanks Jim....after another ton of reading I've arrived at the same truths you guys have already figured out....funny how that works huh ???

On the left you have true duals....wide open slip-ons....looking good and sounding bad *ss....at the cost of performance

On the right you have 2 into 1 set-ups....great performance....better tunes and numbers achieved....at the cost of looks and sound

....and in the spirit of compromise....a hundred and one products sitting somewhere in the middle designed to give some of both without sacrificing to much of either.  Decisions decisions ::)
Yep looks or performance that is the question?
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Mr_Ed

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:28:28 PM »

Well not really the question 1sharprdkg...more like the conclusion of all I read.  I guess I just never put two and two together as far as baffle design in slip ons and there affect on backpressure....and in turn it's affect on performance.  I understand on a stock bike everything is choked up to the max because of EPA, but I kind of thought once the cat was removed or head pipes replaced most of the back pressure was removed.

jcd520

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »

Well I'll tell you one thing....and I certainly don't want to open up a can of worms or start a big *ss debate here....BUT....since I've traded my SERK in on the SG and have been running a stock exhaust, I've had more near misses in the last few months than I've had in all three years on the road king.  The SERK was my first bike with a really loud exhaust system on it and I don't care what anybody says....loud gets heard and people look.  I'm not condoning ripping thru residential areas at 5 in the morning...or breaking the sound barrier on a peaceful Saturday afternoon....but there's a simple reason why police cars, ambulances and fire trucks have sirens.

I loved the true dual setup on the SERK with CFR's, a very deep and noticeable sound even at low rpm that really wasn't that obnoxious unless you wanted it to be, but people knew somebody was somewhere.  Of course I would like to have the same or similar setup and not take the performance hit, that's why I started searching and reading about other ones when I ran into the statement I quoted.

What's been "cleared up" is....there ARE options....just none without compromise  :2vrolijk_21:

Boy , you got that right. When I was loud I think it  just scared the crap out of people and they got out of the way---now that I am quiet they sometimes just don't know you are there . I have a dual note horn as well and when I use it I sometimes think they are looking for a car , not a bike when they start trying to figure out where the horn is coming from. Bottom line I think people just in general just don't care for bikes or they are too busy texting or whatever. Ride like you are invisible never had more meaning than nowadays.

slacker2

• Full CVO Member
  • Work Hard...Play Hard.
    • VT

• CVO1: V&H 2/1 ProHighOUTPUT pipe,58mm,10.5 high dome pistons, Hillside heads, RS A/C 625 S&S cams.LED headlight and drivers.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 07:41:31 AM »

I've read that you really shouldn't mismatch exhaust. I have a new CVO Street Glide coming in shortly and going down the long winding exhaust decision road. Has anyone used the Fullsac 2-1 front pipe with falsee, and Thunder Header slip ons?
  Torn between the full sound of duals, Fullsac is showing some really good numbers going with their complete system. It just doesn't have that V8 sound to it like the TH's. I'l be glad "I hope" when I make a decision.

Flying with the Eagles.
Stage III build by Palmer Brothers, DirectLink tuned by Joe's Cycles. One Happy Happy Bike.133T 140hp's

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:19 AM »

LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES..........I WILL NEVER RUN QUIET PIPES........... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »

I've read that you really shouldn't mismatch exhaust. I have a new CVO Street Glide coming in shortly and going down the long winding exhaust decision road. Has anyone used the Fullsac 2-1 front pipe with falsee, and Thunder Header slip ons?
  Torn between the full sound of duals, Fullsac is showing some really good numbers going with their complete system. It just doesn't have that V8 sound to it like the TH's. I'l be glad "I hope" when I make a decision.

Unless you know something I don't, Fullsac doesn't make a 2-1 system. They make a 2-1-2 system, and that is a critical distinction. In a 2-1-2 setup you cannot use a "ghost pipe" - you must run two mufflers as you still have two pipes on exit from the common "1" scavenge area. On the Fullsac X-Pipe, it uses the stock cross-over pipe to provide for the left side muffler. There is no "falsee" involved.

I've never heard a V-Twin sound like a V8 - regardless of the exhaust system installed  :)
Just sayin' ....
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

slacker2

• Full CVO Member
  • Work Hard...Play Hard.
    • VT

• CVO1: V&H 2/1 ProHighOUTPUT pipe,58mm,10.5 high dome pistons, Hillside heads, RS A/C 625 S&S cams.LED headlight and drivers.
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 04:18:02 PM »

Thanks for setting me straight. I have looked at some many systems on line that they are starting to run together. As far as the V8 sound, my last bike was a 08 1600 Vulcan.Had it mapped, dyno and put a set of Cobra longs on it. loud but not too. Sounded just like a big block chevy with headers and duals.

So many time I have seen guys that are setting alongside the road walk to the edge of the road to see just what the heck was coming.

Oh well that was in another life, really looking forward to CVO coming in.  The Harley group is a great place to belong.
Flying with the Eagles.
Stage III build by Palmer Brothers, DirectLink tuned by Joe's Cycles. One Happy Happy Bike.133T 140hp's

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 04:48:32 PM »

LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES..........I WILL NEVER RUN QUIET PIPES........... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
:2vrolijk_21:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.