Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zumo 660  (Read 1892 times)

11seshark

Zumo 660
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »

Is there a way to have the traffic subscription I have on this unit work on my bike?
It works great in the car but I don't see a way to have it work on the bike.
Thanks-----------
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:51:12 AM by 11seshark »

Wh05Sha

• Ride free

• CVO1: flhtcuse 2
    • CVO2: flhtcuse 6
Re: Zumo 660
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »

I need to know if the garmin zumo that comes with the flhtcuse6 will play mp3 thru the harmon kardon. ?

mines doesnt , when I dock it i get nothing thru the HK stereo , but the 660's internal speaker mutes.

Any ideas ?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:40:14 PM »

I need to know if the garmin zumo that comes with the flhtcuse6 will play mp3 thru the harmon kardon. ?

mines doesnt , when I dock it i get nothing thru the HK stereo , but the 660's internal speaker mutes.

Any ideas ?
I think you will have to run and audio cable between the zumo 660 and the H-K's Aux input (at the bottome right of the radio).

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:01:45 PM »

Is there a way to have the traffic subscription I have on this unit work on my bike?
It works great in the car but I don't see a way to have it work on the bike.
Thanks-----------

I take it you wired in the FM antenna for the traffic signals when it's in your car?  I have a 665 and use the XM traffic on it, so not 100% sure how you've got your unit setup.

If that is the case, all you need to do is wire in another antenna on the unit when it's on your bike.  I'm making all kinds of assumptions though about what you are using for the traffic on the 660 and how it is mounted; however, you could maybe run the antenna down and behind the mount and hide it.

Another option is to wrap the antenna around the GPS.  Might not be as good at receiving the signals, but might still just work.  That way the antenna could always be plugged in and go with the unit when you unmount it.

Hopefully I didn't approach this from left field.  I'm assuming that you are using the antenna plug on the left side of the unit with a small wire antenna plugged into it when in the car.  Not sure if your car mount has the antenna wired into it or not.

Here's wishing you luck in getting it to work.  ;D
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »

Any ideas ?

You might want to read this thread http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=59215.0 for more background info; however, here's a copy of the most relevate information to get you going.  It has a section regarding the factory wiring of the zumo on your bike.

Hope this clarifies and hopefully this isn't too long.

The Roadtech 660 has a few different sources of audio output - Navigational Prompts, MP3 playback, and Audiobook playback.  The 665 adds XM Radio.

In order to hear anything from the GPS, you have to route the audio out from the GPS with a cable, to the AUX input of your radio - e.g. wire in the aux line.  Then you must select AUX as your audio source on the radio.

In this mode, you can not listen to FM, AM, CD, etc. and still hear the navigational prompts.  But at least while here, they gave you the ability to listen to MP3s, audiobooks, or XM (665) while using the GPS to get around.

Of course, you don't have to ever listen to the GPS navigational prompts and can continue to listen to your choice of audio (FM, CD, etc.).

Now enter in the Navigation Interface Module.  With this accessory installed, the rules change a bit.

The audio out of the GPS is routed to the NIM so that the NIM can listen to the GPS audio stream for two purposes.  One is to listen for a signal from the RoadTech only version of the GPS.  This is how it knows the GPS is about to speak (Turn Left, etc.).  When it hears the signal, it will interupt whatever audio source is on the radio much like the CB does.  Doesn't matter if your on FM, CD, or weather band.

Then the NIM will route whatever audio it continues to hear from the GPS to your HK radio and then release the radio back to the original audio source when it hears a termination signal from the GPS - not 100% confirmed on the term signal.  Since the NIM has interrupted whatever mode you were in (FM, CD, etc) you will hear the Nav prompt and this is really cool.  This audio interruption is a mono source, and uses the bluetooth phone channel of the KH Radio (for those who like extra details).

Now let's throw in the CVO factory wiring aspect into the mix.

The factory setup of the CVOs in question, is to wire the GPS audio only to the NIM.  This allows you to listen to your favorite audio source and hear NAV prompts.  However, it poses one specific challenge.

You have no way to listen to the other audio sources of the GPS (MP3, Audibook, or XM in the case of the 665).  In order to listen to those audio sources on the GPS, you have to open up the fairing and split the GPS audio out with a y-cable and run one line to the NIM and one to the AUX input of your radio.

Now you have a few choices. You can select your audio source of choice.  Should it be the audio sources on the GPS, you would just select AUX over any of the other available choices.

Now, here's the fun part.  If your on AUX and you are listening to say MP3s, and the GPS has a Nav prompt to boast, the following happens.  The NIM will interrupt the AUX channel to get the NAV prompt to the radio.  Doesn't matter that you were already listening to the GPS via the AUX line.  It essentially will interrupt itself.  No big deal really, but it is a source of one bug.  I won't go into that here unless someone asks.

Let me know if this put everything into perspective, or if you have additional questions.

- Jeff
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

Page created in 1.212 seconds with 21 queries.