Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley pulls the plug on H-D Techtips site  (Read 1185 times)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
Harley pulls the plug on H-D Techtips site
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:33:26 PM »

So much for HD owners trying to do their own wrenching and get info on their scoots. The MOCO threatened action against harleyhog.co.uk ( http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/ ) for putting HD techtips and other useful HD info out there for us to learn from. I'm thinking it's a possible lost revenue issue for HD. Heaven forbid we should wrench for ourselves... that would cut into the paint scratchin', dent makin' stealers profit margin.
The guy wasn't charging for or making money from all this, Just trying to share the knowledge. Very sadly, another lost resource for good information.  :'( :'( >:( >:(

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Harley pulls the plug on H-D Techtips site
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:40:05 PM »

So much for HD owners trying to do their own wrenching and get info on their scoots. The MOCO threatened action against harleyhog.co.uk ( http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/ ) for putting HD techtips and other useful HD info out there for us to learn from. I'm thinking it's a possible lost revenue issue for HD. Heaven forbid we should wrench for ourselves... that would cut into the paint scratchin', dent makin' stealers profit margin.
The guy wasn't charging for or making money from all this, Just trying to share the knowledge. Very sadly, another lost resource for good information.  :'( :'( >:( >:(

Isn't there a law that service bulletins have to be available to anyone?  Or is the just for cages?

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 11:51:06 PM »

It was from harleyhog.co.uk that I found out about the main circuit breaker problem that I had with my 2000FLHTC. The MOCO never notified me and it failed at night while I was riding with my wife. Good thing we weren't killed.The MOCO sure won't tell you if you have a potential issue. Keeping up with service bulletins for your bike is the best way (as well as sites like this) to stay informed. How do we get them now?? Go to our local stealer and ask to see them?? ... yeah, right.  ::)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 12:14:23 AM »

His site is still up, I have been following this for a while. The legal action from Harley was threated due to providing "copyrighted" materials for people. It does really stick that they are going after the little guy for providing good information to the public >:(

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 08:28:47 AM »

Thats bulls#@it. I go to the web anytime I have an issue with my scoot(I use this site predominately now) and always somewhere I find someone else with the problem and I find a resolution.I actually never knew that site existed. I am always looking for a true tech site and now that i found one it's soon to go away. I don't trust the dealer because of previous expierences.Well lets see where this goes.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 08:38:40 AM »

Since the gentleman who runs that site makes no money from it, posting this information should be allowable under the fair use doctrine.  This appears to be an attempt by the MoFoMoCo to restrict information that can be used by us to demand they fix the junk they pawn off on us, or perhaps use in lawsuits to prove the a$$holes knew about a problem but didn't notify us.  As most of us have found, you can't depend on the average dealer to acknowledge known issues and fix them - I've personally had to provide information I found on the harleyhog site to my dealer to prove the MoCo made a change to a part due to the exact issue I brought the bike in for (guess we can't expect dealer folks to read their bulletins). Just one more effort by MoFoMoCo to blow off the customer and thumb their noses at us, in my opinion.  Sure makes you want to run out and blow another $30k on a piece of their crap, doesn't it?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cigarmike

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 11:57:03 AM »

Amazing. But doesnt surprize me one bit after my experience's with dealership, MoCo and problems with my bike in the first 5 months of buying. If it were not for this site, I'd be believing that Im screwed and just go away. Hope we are not the next one's to be targeted.

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 06:40:28 AM »

Just think if the MoCo would hire more engineers and stride for quality instead of a room full of lawers how much better the product would be.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 05:46:54 PM »

Just think if the MoCo would hire more engineers and stride for quality instead of a room full of lawers how much better the product would be.
Amen!!!!!!

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 05:53:29 PM »

we better change the subject quick.........Big Brother might be watching/listening.  I hear that is the way of this Land now.   [smiley=nervous.gif] har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.