Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Lifters  (Read 18539 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Lifters
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »

That noise in the 2200-2800 RPM range seems to be common; I hear it even after new lifters installed....gets less after motor is HOT though.  May be some sort of resonant vibration - valve related? 
All I know is I have ESP to mid 2013 and they can just keep popping new lifters in there if that keeps it running.
T
Kind of bass-ackwards on getting less after motor getting hot....that's been my experience.  Really makes you wonder what it is.....spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »

New lifters and for now the noise is gone. I will let you know if the fix last.
Bill

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 12:15:42 PM »

That's great, Muddy... :2vrolijk_21:....hope it's good to go for a long time now.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »

On the last two bikes I used S&S lifters. No more clatter  :2vrolijk_21:

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 02:38:56 AM »

Muddypaws, Congratulations on having a quiet valve train . Keep us posted. Even though mine are noisey I am going to live with it until something breaks and I have to replace them or the warranty runs out. Then I will go with Steve's stage II map and Andrews 54 cams, but if I have no cylinder base leaks I think I will leave the stock head gasket and not change to the cometic .30. By the way what kind of oil are you using? Thanks CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »

Amsoil.
Bill

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 02:02:05 PM »

Muddy, it tends to be a crap shoot, with none of the various brands having a perfect record.  I tried two sets of Wood lifters, and both were defective so I got tired of screwing around and just went with the Harley B lifters (stock lifters).  I've spoken with techs who have had issues with Fueling lifters, Jim's lifters, Screamin' Eagle lifters, etc., to the point that I'm starting to think there is either just one lousy company making all these various lifters for these companies, or there is something inherently squirrelly about a Harley engine that causes premature lifter failure.  Whatever is going on, there obviously is no one correct answer.

IMHO, just buy another set of stock lifters.  Paying two to four times the price for big "names" doesn't seem to be a guarantee of better quality.

As for the cost, I think the stockers still run $30 apiece MSRP. 

Jerry

That's exactly what Don Tilley said.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Grumpy110

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '20 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 117 (Traded)
    • CVO3: '08 FLHTCUE3 (Sold)
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2011, 09:26:54 PM »

The noise won't matter until it fails and then you'll know it as it'll be too late.  Mine made absolutely NO noise and then started a slight 'ticking' that progressed to a louder noise that then became a 'chirping' noise  ....   all in less than 10 to 15 miles .... everything in the cam chest had to be replaced at that point....so according to that, you have to pre-emptively change them out or bite the bullet once they go with much more expense.  If you're under warrenty....ride on, unless you're afraid of being left on the side of the road.  If you're out of warrenty, you may want to adopt the mindset of changing out internal parts (lifters) as a maintenance item on a mileage schedule.  I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around this, but have just learned a expensive lesson that has me leaning in that direction.  spyder

I also just learned the expensive way as one of my lifters failed in the same scenario Spyder describes.  My bike has approx. 30,000 miles and of course no warranty.  I had noted a slight additional ticking in the engine and had complained to the dealer.  The response was , "just usual tappet noise." On the way home from a short weekend trip I noted the ticking was about the same, but now there was also an on again, off again chirping noise at idle.  This chirping was very minor and went away with any throttle increase. Since the bike ran fine otherwise I continued on my way. Little did I know that the chirping was the seized tappet skidding on a cam lobe. I suspect that even if I had stopped my trip at that point it was probably too late.  

I decided to replace the stock 255 cams, but since its my dime I will upgrade the other cam chest components. I decided to go with a Feuling billet cam support plate and high vol oil pump, as well as their HP+ roller lifters.  They claim their cam support and h/v pump decreases engine temps by +- 20 degrees and provides more oil to the pinion shaft and rod bearings. I'm also using SE roller rocker arms, SE forged rocker supports, SE high performance cam bearings.  Although not using different cams I thought I might as well go go ahead and install the SE Tapered Quick-Install Adjustable pushrods just in case.  Rob

UPDATE: My dealer had gone to bat for me with Deeley's HD Canada over the failed lifter. After a week of negotiations Deeley's has just offered to provide replacement parts. Unfortunately, as I had wanted the bike repaired asap I had the dealer order all the performance parts last week. This is however, the second time Deeley's has stepped up on an repair issue, and although outside of the warranty period did at least offer to replace a failed part.  Bike is still being repaired, so not sure what they will cover now...I'm hoping the cost of the cams.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:06:59 PM by Grumpy110 »
"International Charter Member" of W.H.O.R.E.
Applicant for membership to HBRR

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 09:29:05 PM »

On the last two bikes I used S&S lifters. No more clatter  :2vrolijk_21:
X2
Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.