Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lifter roller went south taking out the cam  (Read 1438 times)

hdtwncam

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
lifter roller went south taking out the cam
« on: June 22, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »

on my 03 flhrsei2. Buggered it up pretty good. Hopefully no or at least not much of the metal shavings got thur. Did some damage to the end of the shaft also so i think i will stay with chain cams. Prolly the new hydrolic lifter kit.

Question for you guys is what cam should i go with. The bike has always run  hot. It did have the stock cam in it but i have had the feuling cam plate and feuling oil pump in it as i use the engine guard as a cooler.

I did a search and came up with some peoples choices but most of those were a few years old. Any new choices out there? Who's happy with what?

I guess the guys that say change the lifters every 30k or so got that right. 28 dollar part is going to cost me.

any suggestions are appreciated

hdtwncam

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: lifter roller went south taking out the cam
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »

Well, never mind then.

thanks anyway.

Just wanted some friendly advise… guess not

You guys have a nice life…see ya.

Oh, and by the way, if I see ya needing help broke down on the highway – I’ll stop and help.

hogasm

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:27:27 PM »

Don't go ay mad, I just found this thread. They can get a few pages behind quickly around here.

If you are still around, what have you done to the motor

size
pistons
pipes
breather

a little more info and we will see

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:28:16 PM »

Several of us put in the Zipper's 575 gear drive cams, Zipper's bypass shim (oil pump), and feuling lifters with great results.  Do a search and type in "zippers 575" and a lot will come up. 

This assumes stock otherwise.

warpig

• Semper FI

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 black and crimson
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 01:48:41 PM »

I've used the andrews 54H and the woods 555 now, both work very well for mild builds. Its nice out so a lot of the boys are probably out riding.  :2vrolijk_21: Great group of guys and info on here.

gabbyduffy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »

I've used the andrews 54H and the woods 555 now, both work very well for mild builds. Its nice out so a lot of the boys are probably out riding.  :2vrolijk_21: Great group of guys and info on here.

I agree. Andrews 54 are great cams. Woods 555 good but pricey. Bro. Great guys on this forum, give it a min. And you'll get all the help you want.   Go with the Andrews 54's.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:46:23 PM »

An Andrews TW37 will perform on par with the Redshift and have a little more low to midrange grunt. If you pull the heads to add compression and do some minor porting a new set of possibilities opens up.

i dum

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:15:48 PM »

better check the oil pump, scared mine up real bad when mine went south

hdtwncam

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »

thanks gentlemen,
no i did not go away mad.. just a little discouraging when you see over a hundred viewings and nobody makes a comment...

i decided to just throw a tw26 in it with the regular chain set up.  i was going to go with the new hydrolic chain set up but have no idea how much metal was sucked into the lower end. flushed everything out i could and found very little metal but the feuling plate was ruined but the oil pump still looks good. don't want to put a whole lot of loot into it until i get it going and make sure the rest of it is OK.

thanks for the replies and post two was a little joke......what the hey it got some response so thanks to you guys for that...

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 11:19:58 AM »

I don't have a lot to give on the technical side I am one of then learners not teachers.

Some threads just take off and others don't give people time mate and get to know them but joining their threads.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »

I don't have a lot to give on the technical side I am one of then learners not teachers.

Some threads just take off and others don't give people time mate and get to know them but joining their threads.

Speaking personally.....I didn't respond because you'd said that you already did a search and I had nothing to add to that.  In the search I'm sure you saw all those using the Fueling 574 cams?

Anyway, you made your choice and moved forward.  Of course we all hope that you're happy with your choice and have good luck with it. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 06:55:06 AM »

thanks gentlemen,
no i did not go away mad.. just a little discouraging when you see over a hundred viewings and nobody makes a comment...

i decided to just throw a tw26 in it with the regular chain set up.  i was going to go with the new hydrolic chain set up but have no idea how much metal was sucked into the lower end. flushed everything out i could and found very little metal but the feuling plate was ruined but the oil pump still looks good. don't want to put a whole lot of loot into it until i get it going and make sure the rest of it is OK.

thanks for the replies and post two was a little joke......what the hey it got some response so thanks to you guys for that...

Good choice in cams for that.
Just had a Dyna from Manlius N.Y., come in with an outer cam bearing take a dump.
Made a mess, but he opted to bore to 98" while he was in there, and in spite of the low performing Edelbrock Heads (140 cfm @ 10" @ .600 lift, with a 1.940" valve!!!!! OUCH) it turned out well.
Scott

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 22 queries.