Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PROBLEM INSTALLING XM MODULE ON 2011 CVO STREET  (Read 3215 times)

giroman

PROBLEM INSTALLING XM MODULE ON 2011 CVO STREET
« on: June 11, 2011, 12:52:42 PM »

I would appreciate some help with a problem I am having installing the xm module on my 2011 CVO street glide. I was instructed to purchase the non ultra interlay harness which I did. The instructions say to unplug the harness on the back of the radio and replace with the non ultra interlay harness. Then plug the interconnect harness that is part of the interlay harness into the 6 pin interconnect harness near the back of the radio which I can't find. If anyone has any information or experience with this project I would appreciate any information you can give me to solve this issue. called Harley and they are no help as usual.

Thanks

Jerry

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: PROBLEM INSTALLING XM MODULE ON 2011 CVO STREET
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »

This has been a problem with the 2011 SESG2 since it came out. I hope someone at HD did not tell you this work work plug and play--because it won't. The 6B connector that the instructions say to plug the NUOH (Non Ultra Overlay Harness) in to does not exist on the 2011--it did on the 2010 but HD chose not to put it on the later model. Read the this thread for instuructions on how to add the connector. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=56934.0

This can work if you want to use any of the other options that the NUOH is used for. I am also going to attach instructions on how to make the harness just to add the XM module to the existing setup without the use of the overlay harness. That is the method I used. My thanks goes out to "Harleypingman"--Carl for these instructions.

Now you will also find that the XM module will hit the outer fairing if you mount it on top of the IPOD modlue next to the amp. You will need to purchase a bracket to relocate the modules below the radio to make this work. One of the members on here sells that bracket. I can't think of his member name, but send him an e-mail at ezzell141@comcast.net.

Here is the wriring for the harness if you choose to make it yourself and return the NUOH.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:25:30 PM by mjb765 »

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »

Part 2

giroman

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »

Thank you mjb and harleypingman,

I used your instructions on making the harness for just the xm it worked perfectly, the dealer has no clue that the 2011 doesn't have the 6b connector, I talked to the parts department and the service department.
Thanks again for your help

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 05:52:36 PM »

Thank you mjb and harleypingman,

I used your instructions on making the harness for just the xm it worked perfectly, the dealer has no clue that the 2011 doesn't have the 6b connector, I talked to the parts department and the service department.
Thanks again for your help

Did you send the e-mail about the bracket or did you find another place for the module?

giroman

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 05:59:04 PM »

I used Velcro and wire tie to the bottom of the radio

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 06:00:45 PM »

I used Velcro and wire tie to the bottom of the radio

I guess that could work also. Glad everything worked out.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »

Giroman, you're welcome and all credit to mjb765 for posting the detailed information.

However, I gotta say I'm astonished that you started this thread at 12:52 p.m. today and posted on the XM's successful installaton in just under five hours later!!!  That's a very, very impressive pace for gathering the parts, assembling the parts to create the harness, and doing the install.

As an aside, what you've done is to avoid stuffing the inside of your fairing with the huge NUOH of which you would only use the XM; and, instead made your own 69200033 that HD offers for installation of the NIM and/or Ipod modules on models that don't have an NUOH or Ultra harness already on the bike.  If you returned the NUOH, you probably spent $30 in parts for the fabbed harness instead of the $129 list for the NUOH.

Congrats on a  successful project and workaround to a poor electrical design by HD and ignorant parts and service depts. at your dealer.

Carl

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 06:57:35 PM »

Giroman, you're welcome and all credit to mjb765 for posting the detailed information.

However, I gotta say I'm astonished that you started this thread at 12:52 p.m. today and posted on the XM's successful installaton in just under five hours later!!!  That's a very, very impressive pace for gathering the parts, assembling the parts to create the harness, and doing the install.

As an aside, what you've done is to avoid stuffing the inside of your fairing with the huge NUOH of which you would only use the XM; and, instead made your own 69200033 that HD offers for installation of the NIM and/or Ipod modules on models that don't have an NUOH or Ultra harness already on the bike.  If you returned the NUOH, you probably spent $30 in parts for the fabbed harness instead of the $129 list for the NUOH.

Congrats on a  successful project and workaround to a poor electrical design by HD and ignorant parts and service depts. at your dealer.

Carl

I was thinking that as well. He must have already had the connectors on hand....even more amazing if it included a trip to the dealer!

Mike

giroman

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 10:18:49 PM »

I was to lazy and tired of going to the dealer so I took apart the NUOH harness that the dealer told me I needed, I know it cost me extra $ but I lost my patience after the I went to the dealer three times already.  The first time they said all I needed was the module, I took the fairing off to find out I needed a harness so i put it back together and ordered the harness, i had a trip planned so i couldn't leave it apart, then again to find out there is no where to plug the harness into.

This project started two weeks ago, I should have posted then, it would have saved a lot of time and some money too. next time I start a project I'm going to post before I go to the dealer so I can do their job and tell them what I need instead of asking them what I need. I should know better I'm in the auto body business and deal with parts problems all the time.
Thanks guys

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »

next time I start a project I'm going to post before I go to the dealer so I can do their job and tell them what I need instead of asking them what I need.

I'm in the same boat. I'm getting f'ing tired of knowing more than the dealer knows.

Harleypingman, I don't care which forum it happens on, I've seen you on others, I think we need a subforum of your own for answering tech questions related to audio. I've tried to keep up and have bookmarked a bunch and they've been exceedingly helpful!  :drink:
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 10:27:13 AM »

giroman,

The information mjb765 posted is one way to deal with SESG2's unique wiring; another is to simply add the missing 6B connector (which has been described on this forum) and use either the NUOH or 69200033 harness).  As for modifying the NUOH, glad it worked for you.  TIF2 (Rich) did so on his SESG2, and probably knows more about adapting the audio and wiring on the SESG2 than any HD dealer and, possibly, the MOCO.

As for the bracket mjb765 mentioned, here's the link to Scott's bracket:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=61136.0

Velcroing the module w/ zip tie to the bottom of the radio should work--I had my CB module mounted that way for about a year before getting Scott's bracket.

Suggestion only:  next time you have the fairing off the bike, snap a few pics and post them.  It's helpful to show how the NUOH and other wiring inside the fairing is routed--I know it took me several reroutes over time to get the outer fairing to fit easily on the bike after adding the NUOH, amp, etc.

Carl

PS:  I'm not a tech or audio guy; just a civilian (i.e. I'm not in the bike business) who has worked with HD's wiring diagrams, installation instructions for various audio accessories, and parts books to make mods to my own bike.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 08:18:23 AM by Harleypingman »

Page created in 0.667 seconds with 21 queries.