Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: never understood this helmet law  (Read 6664 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: never understood this helmet law
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »

Been the same law sense 1977. nothing new.

That is correct, but the legislature put a bill on the Governors desk recently repelling the carry requirement, and he vetoed it.

You can strap it to your bike and be legal, but you will get a ticket if you do not have it.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

bknerr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 03:51:29 PM »

i started riding in de. in `69. at that time you had to ware a helmet. this law was a compromise to those trying to repeal the helmet law, it was the only way they could get it passed. i know it doesn`t make sence, those opposed to the repeal thought if they had to carry it thay would just wear it. 
1963 flh
1974 fxe

2003 flhrc
2008 flhtcuse3

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »

Delware is the size of what, a city block?  Alright, I kid.  But I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that it is so small and every surrounding state requires helmets to be worn.  I assume that when you ride, you cross state lines frequently and this would assure that you had the helmet on you to be worn in those states. 

Yes it is the size of a postage stamp.

It borders only 2 states by land.

Pennsylvania, no helmet law

And the United Republic of Maryland, and of course they have a helmet law.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 07:32:49 PM »

I know this helmet thing gets lots of us going on here.  I knew someone the other night that took a fall and no helmet on an exit ramp in Ft. Lauderdale at 30 mph.  No helmet and no cars anywhere near where he landed.  He's dead and only 28.   What we do on two wheels is really crazy enough, why not try to protect your head if you can.   Maybe I like my head more than some others I see out there.   In fact I know I do. :nixweiss:

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 07:35:32 PM »

You gotta keep in mind that you're talking about a government agency... Not too much they do ever makes sense!   ;D
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »

Never makes sense to me ever.   >:(

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »

:nixweiss:
Last stats I saw on this topic yrs ago,  stated that the average adult head weighed around 15-16 pounds.   That would be like a mans bowling ball weight.  Add the centrifigual force at most any speed, and the chances of NOT hitting your head on the ground or whatever is slim to none.

Having been told for many yrs,  that I'm "hard headed",  I know that the 'ol noggin is NOT as hard as the concrete or asphalt or most whatever it might crunch into if for whatever reason.......The bike and I part company.

Therefore,  I wear a helmet.

Yrs ago,  I went without on the streets and only wore one during hillclimbs and enduros, and trail riding.................now I wear one whenever on the bike. :drink:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 08:23:06 PM »

A person can have the hardest head on the planet (like me), but that is not the issue.  The problem is the sudden deceleration of the skull while the brain continues on, smacking the interior of the skull.  The skull can be completely intact, and you are still dead as a door nail.  The shock absorbing material in the helmet just helps to slow the skull in a more gradual manner.  Kind of like those Safer Barrier walls in NASCAR.

Someone else said it best:  If you have a hundred dollar brain, wear a hundred dollar helmet.  If you have a ten dollar brain, wear a ten dollar helmet.  If you have a worthless brain, forget the helmet.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »

A person can have the hardest head on the planet (like me), but that is not the issue.  The problem is the sudden deceleration of the skull while the brain continues on, smacking the interior of the skull.  The skull can be completely intact, and you are still dead as a door nail.  The shock absorbing material in the helmet just helps to slow the skull in a more gradual manner.  Kind of like those Safer Barrier walls in NASCAR.

Someone else said it best:  If you have a hundred dollar brain, wear a hundred dollar helmet.  If you have a ten dollar brain, wear a ten dollar helmet.  If you have a worthless brain, forget the helmet.

Jerry

Just let ME decide how much my brain is worth. I do not need the government to decide what I put on my head, and I do not need them telling me not to eat a Big Mack, if I so choose.  Thank you very much.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 09:18:37 PM »

Don't know the validity of this, just saw it on another forum:

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.
The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.
State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.
Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 09:46:31 PM »

I hate to say it... End of story.  Jerry said it best.  Hundred dollar brain,hundred dollar helmet..... Do you really think that if your head hits the pavement you ever have a chance?  Ask your kids, wife,good friends if they would miss you when you are gone,,  you maybe be surprised,,, you can keep riding helmet less    :nixweiss:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 09:48:27 PM »

Don't know the validity of this, just saw it on another forum:

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.
The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.
State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.
Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

It was posted here too - News Story--Rider Dies While Protesting Helmet Laws.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 10:19:52 PM »

Where's that protestor now?  Makes me wonder what he thought his brain was worth?

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 11:20:01 PM »

In the past my wife and I often rode without a helmet but her uncle had an accident which cost him some brain function and he no longer can work as an OTR long haul driver.  With three little girls we decided to wear the damn thing every time and never looked back.  Some would say maybe we should quit riding but you still have to live and enjoy and I can do that with the thing on.  I'm not knocking those who don't wear the thing but just saying this was our choice.  Ride on!
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 07:38:47 AM »

Florida Helmet Law: Carry 10k bodily injury insurance and you don't have to wear a helmet. No insurance,helmet required!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.