Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upgraded air cleaner "necessary" 2010 CVO Ultra  (Read 1244 times)

ralford

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic
Upgraded air cleaner "necessary" 2010 CVO Ultra
« on: August 03, 2011, 01:37:55 PM »

Surprise, there is conflicting and/or confusing information on the web... :o

Is there a benefit to changing out to say an Ness Big Sucker, on a 2010 CVO Ultra.  Some indicate the stock AC is very adequate, some say the Ultra benefits from the change.  Not a big chunk of change but still would buy a bit of gas and beer ;)

Thanks in advance.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Upgraded air cleaner "necessary" 2010 CVO Ultra
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »

There are those more qualified than me to answer but the confusing info likely stems from the fact that changing one item in your system will not necessarily help.  If you intake has the restrictive, black plastic backing, removing that piece should give you more air without even changing your intake.  That may make the motor run leaner if the O2 sensors can't compensate, usually above 4,000 rpms.   Leaner often means hotter....  So it may not be a simple answer.  What else, if anything has been done to the bike.  Exhaust?  Tuner?   That would be helpful to know. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:24:17 PM »

As you found in your search on the web, there are lot's of opinions out there but you won't find many real facts such as comparative flow test results.  One way to "guesstimate" the usefulness of an upgrade would be to compare dyno results on the same bike with both the stock air cleaner and then one of the "high flow" air cleaners, but unless the bike was tuned for the same AFR's with both air cleaners you still could be comparing apples to rutabaga's.

What sort of modifications are you planning, and what are your performance goals?  If you are satisfied with the power of the bike as it is currently configured, and you like the stock air cleaner, then I see no reason to change it.  I would still get it tuned though, just to improve driveability and to cool the engine down a bit.  The stock tune is optimized for emissions control, not smooth performance.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ralford

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »

Current 110 performance is fairly acceptable for a Harley, however, as we all know power is good, more power is better ;D  Now I realize ultimately there is a limit but haven't run up against i yet...

With a very limited R&D budget, comparison dyno runs are not feasible.  Objective is to free up the breathing as usual with Harley, will go with an xpipe for the cat and an Andrews 54H cam.  I understand the CVO ACs on some of the bikes is free(er) flowing, but that the CVO 110 ultra uses the same as the stock 96ci engine.  Haven't checked part numbers yet but believe the source.

I'm adding a Big Sucker to the upgrades...

Cheers,

Rusty

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 21 queries.