Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rinehart Pipe noise  (Read 2032 times)

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
Rinehart Pipe noise
« on: June 08, 2006, 10:03:58 PM »

Have a strange sound with my Rinehart True Duels. Have a air leak noise... not at the head pipe... but at the end of exhaust. Sounds funny I know because all air goes out the end. The noise is kinda an air leak noise or a bird chirp type noise from the end caps. Could the noise be coming from the end caps? The end caps have been changed to the chrome ones. Looks like a little blow by at times but not enough that I thought I had to worry about. Any info would be great. Noise happens at cruising speed about 45- 55 mph and under min. load.
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Rinehart Pipe noise
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 10:53:29 PM »

Loose baffels [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Are the end caps tight to the pipe [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:24:50 AM »

That is exactly the reason that I got rid of mine. I changed baffles, end caps, siliconed the head pipe to muffler junction, nothing worked. It was a worse on concrete highways and when going across a bridge as somehow this amplified the "chirp".
  I always wear earplugs when I ride, maybe that filtered out everything but the "chirp" frequency.
  All I know is it drove me crazy and I couldn't get it to stop until I changed pipes.
MObe

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 10:27:36 PM »

MObe,

That is exactly the same chit I have! Where is the noise coming from?

Starting over!!

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 10:44:52 PM »

tommyo,  as far as I can tell it has to do with the shape of the perforations within the baffle system. I even tried wrapping my baffles in fiberglas but that didn't help either. I have a Kawasaki KLR 650 and they are known to have a chirpy exhaust as they age. The fix on them is to take a cold chisel and split open the baffle seam inside the muffler, that fixes the chirp on that bike. I never did resort to that on the rineharts. I just sold them on e-bay and put on a set of vance and hines true dual headpipes with supertrapp IDS mufflers. No more chirp and I can tune the loudness exactly where I want it.
MObe

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:18:32 AM »

tommyo,  as far as I can tell it has to do with the [highlight]shape of the perforations within the baffle system.[/highlight] I even tried wrapping my baffles in fiberglas but that didn't help either. I have a Kawasaki KLR 650 and they are known to have a chirpy exhaust as they age. The fix on them is to take a cold chisel and split open the baffle seam inside the muffler, that fixes the chirp on that bike. I never did resort to that on the rineharts. I just sold them on e-bay and put on a set of vance and hines true dual headpipes with supertrapp IDS mufflers. No more chirp and I can tune the loudness exactly where I want it.

I'm curious to know if this pertains to the earlier Rineharts?  I heard that the new version has an improved baffle...maybe to correct that particular situation?  Maybe a swap out on baffles could be the answer?

MObe, did you notice any performance changes (good/bad) by going to your new exhaust combination?   Anything change in the miles per gallon area?

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 02:14:49 AM »

I really can't say since I changed to TW37g gear drive cams and cometic 030 headgaskets at the same time. I can say with the combination that I have now that I have 101 lb/ft of torque at 2000 rpm. The guy that dyno tuned it called it a torque monster.
MObe

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 08:34:35 PM »

Have a strange sound with my Rinehart True Duels. Have a air leak noise... not at the head pipe... but at the end of exhaust. Sounds funny I know because all air goes out the end. The noise is kinda an air leak noise or a bird chirp type noise from the end caps. Could the noise be coming from the end caps? The end caps have been changed to the chrome ones. Looks like a little blow by at times but not enough that I thought I had to worry about. Any info would be great. Noise happens at cruising speed about 45- 55 mph and under min. load.
YOU MIGHT HAVE SPIDERS IN YOUR EXHAUST FROM "KNOTEENUFF" ( GERMAN TECHNOLGY) RIDING & LUGGING THE MOTOR. [smiley=drink.gif]
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 11:04:32 AM »

Gettinold,

Happens all the time now at any speed. Have some blow by at the end caps between the end caps and the muffler. Don't think 117mph is lugging it to much. I'm thinnking about pulling the chrome end caps off and putting the black ones back on and trying that. Any other suggestions would be great.

Starting over!!

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.