Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: ported heads  (Read 10833 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: ported heads
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »

Don,

Very coy, for a sec I thought you may have missed the trolling guised as a referral, but then the cynisism came through..   ::)     :huepfenlol2:

Otherwise known as 1711Tab...................king of the canyon-crashers................that has been removed from most all message boards except here............ :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »

So all happy customers, whether or not they understand with any degree of insight why they are happy, are now sources offered and suggested for others to base their own decisions on.  That's pretty f*^%#g lame. 

Pitch your work and explain why its good.  If that's not enough you really think what a light bulb guy says should make the difference?  Really?

Around here there are other non-motorcycle professionals whose insights we know to be worth heed.  Guys who have proved over time and repetitively they're worth a listen.  I'm sorry, but some light bulb guy who wrote a vendor a check hasn't yet earned that distinction.

Goodness gracious..............did we wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?? :cherry:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 10:05:54 AM »

Goodness gracious..............did we wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?? :cherry:

Don't have a wrong side of the bed.  Also don't have shill light bulb guy that's supposed to sound impressive until the crowd actually thinks twice.  I could rent one though.  But, oh, wait; using Barnum and Bailey tactics on what is treated as mostly a potential client base would be wrong... 

So of course I'd never....

Ah, screw it.  Moderators should pay as much attention to the vendors parading as friends as they do to the actual friends when they can't get along.  At least the latter isn't looking to get in your pocket.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 10:31:16 AM »

Curious citation there.  Why is the owner of a light bulb company now the go to source for recommendations on engine work?

A person's business and being a happy customer does not detract from their potential insight-fullness. A motorcycle guru will tell you they are the smartest person on the planet and can build you the best motorcycle to be had, but that means nothing until you speak to some of their customers.

I am not a mechanical engineer or a H-D technician, I am an oil & gas consultant, I don't know the first thing about design or engineering of a motorcycle transmission or gear-head speak involving one, but I have been riding for 37 years and I can tell you unequivocally that Baker is hands down the very best transmission I have ever run with an American V-twin and I can tell you why.  I used to run Andrews gear-sets  and they far surpassed factory gears. Anyway, a referral from a customer is always good.
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »

Anyway, a referral from a customer is always good.

It may not be bad.  But a referral is not necessarily "good."  The customer has to have some gravitas to make the referral.  Otherwise there's no way to know whether the person involved is competent in his recommendation or just another guy who would never admit he spent his money poorly and justifies what he's done, even to himself, by lauding his own efforts.  It happens.

A client's praise will also carry more weight, at least with me, when he offers it himself.  When a vendor tries (unsuccessfully) to be subtle and slide in recommendations carrying the perception that they should somehow carry some weight for his own product... well....  that (again, at least to me) diminishes the "client recommendation" and makes it much closer to a paid commercial.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 10:54:41 AM »

I suppose I would make a determination based upon what the customer says, rather than said vendor's willingness to point out that said customer does not mind being contacted.

I still like "contact one of my customers & judge for yourself" vs. "pick me, choose me, I am the best"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:14:33 PM by Shovelhead »
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 10:57:09 AM »

Contact the owner of www.grandlight.com, and get his take on where to send the heads, and what cam he is running. ;)
Scott

Scott,
Would've been much easier on you if you would have simply said,,, 'Contact Hillside, or send your heads to Hillside and we will set you up with a good running bike..   :'(
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:59:14 AM by cvobiker »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 07:03:25 PM »

Otherwise known as 1711Tab...................king of the canyon-crashers................that has been removed from most all message boards except here............ :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Twolane "Don" do you also go by the name 1711Tab looks to me more like another /Swing and a miss   :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 07:36:38 PM »

Twolane "Don" do you also go by the name 1711Tab looks to me more like another /Swing and a miss   :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:   

I thought 1711Tab was a 300 year old soda :nixweiss: ?

I know it's good though.  Even though I haven't tried it.  The light bulb guy recommends it.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »

Scott, does porting your heads improve bottom end power or is it really only effective when you get up into the higher RPM range. Just wondering. Again I appreciate all your imput into this site. I have learned alot from your posts. Thanks CAHDBIKER

That is a very common method. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 07:06:11 AM »

Hey pally-boy,
If we are swinging and missing so much, why have we been in business for almost 30 years??
You can tag-team me all you please, with you malicious remarks, if that gets your jollys.
Guess that would only be, that your leaving someone else alone..........

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 07:11:59 AM »

Scott, does porting your heads improve bottom end power or is it really only effective when you get up into the higher RPM range. Just wondering. Again I appreciate all your imput into this site. I have learned alot from your posts. Thanks CAHDBIKER

The port work we perform with the OEM 2.080" intake, enhances from off idle to peak rpm.
The 2.120"er pushes things over to the right some.
They show great improvement from the .100" valve opening, to .650" lift.
Mid-lift numbers are very good as well, as the valve is in that area more than it is anywhere else, and we key on that to amplifiy the cylinder fill rate. :)
Scott

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member
  • Be responsible of yourself.

• CVO1: "2007"FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: "2004" 3500 Dodge Diesel Long bed DRW 4X4 HD "Laramie'
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »

So all happy customers, whether or not they understand with any degree of insight why they are happy, are now sources offered and suggested for others to base their own decisions on.  That's pretty f*^%#g lame. 

Pitch your work and explain why its good.  If that's not enough you really think what a light bulb guy says should make the difference?  Really?

Around here there are other non-motorcycle professionals whose insights we know to be worth heed.  Guys who have proved over time and repetitively they're worth a listen.  I'm sorry, but some light bulb guy who wrote a vendor a check hasn't yet earned that distinction.

Twolanerider, Well said. You get my vote.

Vagabond
Expect the Unexpected
For FRIENDS are always welcomed, and ASSOCIATES are somewhat tolerated.  But all are equally rewarded with Karma...Good or Evil.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 03:06:22 PM »

Speaking of lightbulbs, where can I get a good deal on a case of 100 watt incandescents before the clowns in DC force me to use those crappy overrated Chinese CFL's with the mercury (trust me, it won't hurt you) and other hazardous crap inside?

Boy, folks sure seem to be getting pissy lately.  Rather than just rely on random targets of opportunity, how about if we set up a schedule on a calendar page so that each member gets a prescheduled turn in the barrel?  That way we can be sure to tune in on the days when those we don't like for whatever reason are "up".  I'll even offer to go first.

Let's see, so far this month we've run off two relatively new members, then had two guys I always thought were close friends go at it in a thread, and now we have folks lining up to beat up a regular contributor because he offered up a customer as a referral for his business.  WTF? 

btw, if anyone actually takes the word of only one source to decide where he plans to have work done, that person is a fool.  It doesn't matter if that referral comes from a guy in the lightbulb business or the guy who runs the race teams for Harley-Davidson, it's only one guys opinion.  That and $5 will get you a cup of whatever passes for coffee at Starbucks these days. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »

AMEN!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.