Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fullsac void warranty?  (Read 4220 times)

anasacuta

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU Rio Red
Fullsac void warranty?
« on: September 26, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »

looking to do the Fullsac stage 1 myself and wondering if my dealer will try and void my warranty.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Fullsac void warranty?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:49:14 PM »

looking to do the Fullsac stage 1 myself and wondering if my dealer will try and void my warranty.

Depending on your dealer, they can choose to void your warranty for whatever reason they can dream up.
OR........they can be good guys and "do the right thing" and explain their policy to you.
IF they will honor your warranty after whatever mods you plan, get it in writing first!!
Lot of dealers will be more inclined to honor the warranty if they do the labor and sell you the parts.
JMHO, AND experience with our local dealers.
 8)
HOGMIKE

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:15:24 PM »

Sorry to disagree with Mike but:

The dealer can not "void a warranty. "  There are various threads here on this issue.  So you might want to search the subject.  The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act controls.  It provides that in order to void the warranty for any particular repair, it must be shown that the modification caused the problem leading to the required repair.  The link above leads to the Wikipedia explanation of the Act.  I can't imagine a dealer giving you a blanket written statement to this effect.  You don't need it anyway.  In my own experience I have had 3 different dealers perform warranty work on my bike after installing fullsac, decatting and cams.  Good luck.

GK
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:43:21 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »

The dealer can not "void a warranty. "  There are various threads here on this issue.  So you might want to search the subject.  The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act controls.  It provides that in order to void the warranty for any particular repair, it must be shown that the modification caused the problem leading to the required repair.  The link above leads to the Wikipedia explanation of the Act.  I can't imagine a dealer giving you a blanket written statement to this effect.  You don't need it anyway.  In my own experience I have had 3 different dealers perform warranty work on my bike after installing fullsac, decanting and cams.  Good luck.

GK

Agreed...........
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 06:06:04 PM »

The dealer can not "void a warranty. "  There are various threads here on this issue.  So you might want to search the subject.  The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act controls.  It provides that in order to void the warranty for any particular repair, it must be shown that the modification caused the problem leading to the required repair.  The link above leads to the Wikipedia explanation of the Act.  I can't imagine a dealer giving you a blanket written statement to this effect.  You don't need it anyway.  In my own experience I have had 3 different dealers perform warranty work on my bike after installing fullsac, decatting and cams.  Good luck.

GK
w
Sorry to disagree with Greg but, this is the term a dealer used with me on a "similar" issue with regards to warranty work in Oregon this summer, I knew he was wrong as you said to legalities, but, decided just to head to the next dealer and not push it.
Guess I used the wrong terms, but, this particular dealer refused to do warranty work on my bike, due to changes made unrelated to the defective part.
Sorry for the confusion, but, I stand by the fact that a dealer can refuse to work on your bike regardless of the legal issue. Can and does happen.
Again, JMHO, and experience on on the road. LOL
 8)
HOGMIKE

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »

HOGMIKE, being an attorney himself, Greg was giving the attorney boiler plate response. :huepfenlol2:

I think that technically, as far as the letter of the law goes, he's absolutely right.  Anybody that's arbitrarley denied a warrant claim solely because they've made a modification and not directly related to the failure itself has grounds for a civil suit.  (We have more than a couple of attorneys right here in Cali. that are members of this forum, so I'm sure they'll straighten me out if they see it differently)

I've been riding for a lot of years and it's my observation and belief that more and more dealerships are getting in line with following the intent of the law.  As little as ten years ago you'd be hard pressed to find any dealership that would do warranty work on a bike that had even the most basic mods.  However, that's changing rapidly.

Not suggesting that it's in the interest of minamizing their exposure to civil action.  I believe it's more due to the fact that they're trying to keep the doors open and the bills paid.  JMHO
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »

Bottom line (for me anyway) is if you have to file a law suit (and hopefully win it) for a dealer to do warranty work on your bike do you really want them working on your bike.... are you going to feel comfortable/trust their work?? Not me... much easier to find another responsible/good dealer.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »

do you really want them working on your bike.... are you going to feel comfortable/trust their work?? Not me... much easier to find another responsible/good dealer.

.....I just wish (for other dealer issues) that I had another dealer that I could access without taking a ferry.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 07:48:55 PM »

Bottom line (for me anyway) is if you have to file a law suit (and hopefully win it) for a dealer to do warranty work on your bike do you really want them working on your bike.... are you going to feel comfortable/trust their work?? Not me... much easier to find another responsible/good dealer.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I think that's the bottom line for just about all of us Gary.  Being legally right isn't necessarily the easiest thing to do.

Dayne....have you talked to the service manager?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:54:14 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:16:27 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 08:21:42 PM »

Dayne....have you talked to the service manager?

Yes...but...the service manager was a large part of the problem. I spoke to the owner...more than once..on more than one issue. I have given up! I am not the only one, either. With a big mortgage on a new store, I'd have thought he'd be bit more concerned about customers ending their relationship with his dealership, even when it means a ferry trip to the mainland to another dealer. Others, as soon a warranty is up.....they go to Indy shops. Now the MOCO has made it more difficult for them to operate by only letting them buy from a 'local' dealer.I now use the 'offending dealer' as a place to try on motorclothes so I know what size to order.

Between my local dealer being inept and the MOCO protecting their sorry azzes...I'd......darn, I like my bike too much.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:36:46 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »

Now that Mike and I are both "sorry," I see what he meant.  Any dealer may refuse to do warranty work if he is worried that he will not get paid because of mods.  That seems to have been Mike's experience.  Seems to have happened to others as week.  My experience has been the opposite.  As I mentioned, three dealers have done warranty work notwithstanding my mods.  For me, it was not an issue at all.  As JC said, it's not very good business.  Just to clarify, none of the warranty work I needed was related to my modifications.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 11:16:02 PM »

Yes...but...the service manager was a large part of the problem. I spoke to the owner...more than once..on more than one issue. I have given up! I am not the only one, either. With a big mortgage on a new store, I'd have thought he'd be bit more concerned about customers ending their relationship with his dealership, even when it means a ferry trip to the mainland to another dealer. Others, as soon a warranty is up.....they go to Indy shops. Now the MOCO has made it more difficult for them to operate by only letting them buy from a 'local' dealer.I now use the 'offending dealer' as a place to try on motorclothes so I know what size to order.

Between my local dealer being inept and the MOCO protecting their sorry azzes...I'd......darn, I like my bike too much.

Oh man Dayne......deja vue.  Fortunately for me, Jim's (hd-dude) shop is only 100 miles from here.  I pass several dealerships going to him but in the end, it's well worth it.  I did business at the same dealership for thirty years but the new owner was very closed minded and just would not listen to the customers.  Like you, I just go there to try on motorclothes now. ;D

I've been to that dealership in Victoria.....a very nice store.....once you find it.

West Coast GTG   

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »

No worries guys!
To give you a personal experience, I had a defective switch replaced in Simi Valley, no questions asked, quick and easy, and very good service from this dealership.
I had the very same bike with the very same issue in Oregon, where the dealer refused the warranty work.
I bought the switch from them (no tax) and installed it myself.
Same bike, same switch, same mods, different dealers. Do I take this clown to court? Not likely. Do I EVER go back to his dealership? Not likely.
I don't have the time or patience,but, if enough people go elsewhere, he will be out of business soon. There are other resources in his area, you don't have to take a ferry! LOL
JMHO
 8)
HOGMIKE

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 03:51:25 AM »

Same bike, same switch, same mods, different dealers. Do I take this clown to court? Not likely. Do I EVER go back to his dealership? Not likely.

JMHO
I've had a similar thing happen and a lot of free time, due to the problem they opened a repair order then would not do the work (not related to the mods). broke down on the way back and had it towed home and had a indy do the work

would never use them again but remember they are a corporation and must send their lawyer to court so cost them in the long run
moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.859 seconds with 21 queries.