Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Velva Ride Front Motor Mount  (Read 4797 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Velva Ride Front Motor Mount
« on: June 27, 2006, 08:45:46 AM »

After reading about failures of front motor mounts, I found the Velva Ride motor mount by VThunder.  I installed it this past week (with MObe's help) and have found that the motor still shakes as they are designed to do, but the shake is a lot more subdued.  The mirrors/handlebars are liveable now.  These mounts are polyurethane and not rubber.  They are made in 4 pieces (washer, spacer tube, 2 polyurethane rubber cones, and mounting plate).  I would recommend this mount thus far, don't know how long it will last.  My old mount was not cracked, just did not like the shake the bike had.  List price is $92.95..  They are available thru M&M Cycles under Drag Specialties part # DS-243609 and I bought from M&M for $74.64..  To use this mount there are 2 mod's required: 1) purchase two 1/4" longer bolts for thicker mounting plate and 2) you need to grind about 1/16 to 1/8" off oil cooler mounting plate to clear the new mount.  Both are easily done.

www.vthunder.com

www.mandmcycles.com

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Velva Ride Front Motor Mount
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:14:49 PM »

V-Thunder also has the stabilizer links to go with their urethane motor mount.  
----------------------------------------------------
Velva Ride® Engine Stabilizers
Stainless steel body contains a stainless steel plunger encased in specially-formulated urethane that significantly out performs stock stabilizers.When installed on rubber mount models, the engine is completely isolated from the frame by eliminating all metal-to-metal contact. Complete with rod ends and available with a plain finish or polished bodies and rod ends. For all rubber-mounted 5-speed models 1980 to present, and all Buell® models 1991 to present. Replaces OEM 16219-79A.
----------------------------------------------------

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 10:57:44 PM »

After reading about failures of front motor mounts, I found the Velva Ride motor mount by VThunder.  I installed it this past week (with MObe's help) and have found that the motor still shakes as they are designed to do, but the shake is a lot more subdued.  The mirrors/handlebars are liveable now.  These mounts are polyurethane and not rubber.  They are made in 4 pieces (washer, spacer tube, 2 polyurethane rubber cones, and mounting plate).  I would recommend this mount thus far, don't know how long it will last.  My old mount was not cracked, just did not like the shake the bike had.  List price is $92.95..  They are available thru M&M Cycles under Drag Specialties part # DS-243609 and I bought from M&M for $74.64..  To use this mount there are 2 mod's required: 1) purchase two 1/4" longer bolts for thicker mounting plate and 2) you need to grind about 1/16 to 1/8" off oil cooler mounting plate to clear the new mount.  Both are easily done.

www.vthunder.com

www.mandmcycles.com

Used em for years on ground up FXR projects. The motor mount and the links together do indeed give you a velvet ride. IMO worth every penny they cost First sign of trouble with Elvis' motor mounts in goes the Velva Ride Last set I installed was on a custom FXR I built and sold five years ago. Talk to the owner all the time and the Velva Ride is fine. On a hotrod FXR, that says a lot  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 11:03:38 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 10:16:41 AM »

One added benefit of the new mount is no vibration thru floorboards when decelerating.  My old mount was not cracked, looked good, and had proper clearance.  I figured the slight decel vibration was just a Harley.  Just don't know how long it will last.  Maker says it will outlast and out dampen the HD one.  Happy thus far.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 11:06:34 AM »

[highlight]One added benefit of the new mount is no vibration thru floorboards when decelerating[/highlight].  My old mount was not cracked, looked good, and had proper clearance.  I figured the slight decel vibration was just a Harley.  Just don't know how long it will last.  Maker says it will outlast and out dampen the HD one.  Happy thus far.

Ah Ha!!

I love this site.

I have just had my bike (05SEEG) in to the dealer for excessive vibes on the decel/over run.

I notice it most when riding 2 up and told them so - but of course they (dealer) couldn't find anything wrong

I asked if they took it out on the road - Yes

I asked if they rode it 2 up - er no

Hmmm - not exactly a valid test then

Anyoldway

Is this a big job to change out the engine mount?

ie a Dealer job or is it home do-able by a reasonably dexterous person with a selection of the right kind of spanners (wrenches to you guys)

I reckon it would be worth it just to see if it fixes the problem.

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 07:34:34 AM »

is it home do-able

Beer and spanners Dave.  Beer and spanners (and maybe a jack).  Then you'll find it is a home do-able task with only a minor degree of swearing needed.

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 07:37:58 AM »

Dave,

I did mine at home.  Two beers and you need a jack for sure.  Don't be too rough with the oil cooler and kink the oil lines.

CD

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 01:10:21 PM »

Boatman,
I have 06 SEUC, and am interested in changing to Velva ride mount and stabilizer. Unfortunately no one at V thunder will return my call to answer if fitment issue with my bike. ( Question for DS 243610 and 243618). Any ideas if these will fit and if so are these correct for my bike. thanks john  [smiley=confused5.gif]
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 09:45:08 PM »

Otophile-

Yes, the DS-243610 chrome motor mount and DS-243618 chrome stabilizer links will fit your 06..  You can't see any of the motor mount so you may as well get black and save a couple $..  Since yours is an 06, I would get a True-Track rear engine-trans-swingarm stabilizer like I did and not the stabilizers at this time.  

Good luck, Bob

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 07:39:45 AM »

Bob,
Thanks for the information and advice. Will order those up!  John
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.