Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The hiccup is going to cause a crash...  (Read 2188 times)

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
The hiccup is going to cause a crash...
« on: July 04, 2006, 07:53:29 PM »

>:(

Ok... so I'm waiting on my 120" Jim's... riding my pathetic 2006 88" Ultra with 600 miles on it...

...and as I pull away from my lunch spot (yes, it was warmed up) my P.O.S. hiccups so badly that it shuts off and almost sent me impacting, passenger and all, with mother earth (tight torqued turns are not the best time for a sputtering P.O.S.).

Mind you... I'm not evil kneivel, but I've had 30 bikes and 10 years as a motor officer, including the training... I suspect that 99% of all riders would've been buying a new fairing etc... maybe I got lucky with just a sore hip.

I am going in to the dealer to kick some a$$ tomorrow... I think I need a SE download (until my 120 arrives) to help out with the lean condition.  Any other suggestions?

:-?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: The hiccup is going to cause a crash...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:55:50 PM »

>:(

Ok... so I'm waiting on my 120" Jim's... riding my pathetic 2006 88" Ultra with 600 miles on it...

...and as I pull away from my lunch spot (yes, it was warmed up) my P.O.S. hiccups so badly that it shuts off and almost sent me impacting, passenger and all, with mother earth (tight torqued turns are not the best time for a sputtering P.O.S.).

Mind you... I'm not evil kneivel, but I've had 30 bikes and 10 years as a motor officer, including the training... I suspect that 99% of all riders would've been buying a new fairing etc... maybe I got lucky with just a sore hip.

I am going in to the dealer to kick some a$$ tomorrow... I think I need a SE download (until my 120 arrives) to help out with the lean condition.  Any other suggestions?

:-?

Dr. E,

Yes - Harley has a service bulletin out on the '06 TC88's for poor cold start, stalling, stumbling, etc., I believe it is M-1185.  They are changing out the fuel injectors to a new design with a wider spray pattern to help atomize the fuel better.  I've spoken with some folks who've had the injectors changed, and they indicated that it makes a huge difference in starting and in low speed drivability, as well as eliminating some exhaust popping.  I think I would check that out first.

Jerry

BTW - don't feel bad about the mishap.  I had the same thing happen to me with my '05 POS SEEG, except I wasn't able to keep it completely off the ground.  Scuffed up the edge of the right side lower and crash bar, and severely damaged my ego since I had to enlist the aid of a passerby to get the bike totally upright (it's hell being a little guy with an 840 lb bike).  I'm thinking about a new set of injectors myself, just to see if that will fix the drivability issues without having to run the low speed mixture too rich.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:10:47 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:43:47 AM »

Thanks Jerry  [smiley=drink.gif]

It's a shame... I was at work yesterday evening (work sales at a HD dealer PT) and spoke with the resident "genius" mechanic.  HA....  :o He never mentioned the service bulletin.  Since my bike was built in June, it apparently may or may not apply since the new injectors were to replace the old on the assembly line in February.  But with my luck I got a set of the old ones I'm certain.  They WILL be checking this the next time I'm in the shop.  All he wanted to talk about was upgrades and dyno time!  I explained that that would happen if my 120 ever shows up.   >:(

I found the actualy bulletin on-line.  Thanks again.

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 09:51:06 AM »

mmmmm... I just went out to look at my bike.
With a copy of the service bulletin in hand...  
The upgraded 25 deg injectors are in place.
I've had many lean HDs.. none this bad.  
Now what?  :-?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 10:00:39 AM »

My SEUC is the same way.  I have only true duals and a stage one air cleaner etc.

The dealer is telling me that a Power Commander is what they have been using to fix the problem of a lean running engine.  Is the MoCo running these things so lean just to meet Cal emissions or something?  I'm in Washington but hly chit, I've had the "near dump" experience several times to date and one was returning from CC with the bike fully loaded and it wasn't fun.

Any ideas anyone (Jerry?)?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 10:01:11 AM by Rjob749 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 10:30:23 AM »

My SEUC is the same way.  I have only true duals and a stage one air cleaner etc.

The dealer is telling me that a Power Commander is what they have been using to fix the problem of a lean running engine.  Is the MoCo running these things so lean just to meet Cal emissions or something?  I'm in Washington but hly chit, I've had the "near dump" experience several times to date and one was returning from CC with the bike fully loaded and it wasn't fun.

Any ideas anyone (Jerry?)?
Dr. E,

First, have your dealership verify that you have the correct calibration loaded in the ECM.  H-D changed the calibrations when they went to the 25 degree injectors, and it's always possible they got the wrong calibration installed.  Then have them do a thorough check for vacuum leaks, good spark, etc.  With the mixture set so lean, even a tiny vacuum leak can create major issues. If everything checks out OK, then you probably have one of those bikes where the tolerances for the various components (sensors, injectors, throttle body, etc) stack up in an unfavorable way.  The easiest way to fix that, rather than change out parts until you hit on a decent combination, is to richen up the bottom end with a PC, SERT, etc.  Will your 120 Jim's engine be EFI or carb?  If EFI, I'd go with the SERT since you will need the tuning capabilities with the 120 anyway.  If it will be a carb, then go with the least expensive option, such as a DFO or PC, since the SERT can't be resold after it is "married" to your ECM.

Rjob,

One idea I've had rolling around in my head for the past year (since dumping mine due to the lean stumble/stall, and being blown off by the dealer) is to contact the NHTSA with a safety complaint.  If enough folks did this, H-D would probably be forced into a recall to fix this safety related issue just like various auto manufacturers have been in the past.  But, that is a long-term option and doesn't help in the near term.  I originally "fixed" mine by adding a DFO and richening up the low speed mixture.  This cured the cold start/lousy cold idle/stumble/etc. issues, but it also reduced fuel mileage significantly because the DFO adds the same percentage of fuel from idle to approximately 4000 rpm.  My bike ran fine above 2200 when it was stock, all I needed was to richen up the idle to 2000 rpm range.  Recently, even with the DFO, I started experiencing the same issues again, plus an exhaust popping.  I pulled the DFO and had the H-D calibration (stage 1 race) installed, and still had the same issues. That's why I'm looking at fuel pressure and injectors now.

Probably the best way to "fix" this issue is with a SERT, since you can adjust the cold start enrichment and warm-up enrichment curves separately without screwing with the mixture at normal operating temps.  The Power Commander isn't that sophisticated, and any adjustments you make affect both hot and cold operating temps equally.  If anyone decides to go with the SERT, however, they need to do it quickly since H-D is no longer selling them to dealers (per my stealer, their last chance to order was the week of Memorial Day).  Since I'm a hard-headed SOB who thoroughly hates being screwed over by folks like H-D and my dealer, I refused to add to their profits by purchasing a SERT to fix their p-poor engineering.  I recently went with the PCIII-USB, with the idea being to play with it to get the bike running decently for now until I'm able to determine the root cause for the return of the driveability issues.  Once I'm sure the rest of the EFI system is good to go, I'll have a custom map built by a local PC tuning center.  I'll also never again buy a motorcycle without a thorough test ride first.  Any sign of driveability issues like these, and the dealer will have a choice of fixing it before the sale or I'll walk.  It's just not worth the aggravation any more to have to constantly deal with H-D's crap.  I prefer to buy American, but only if I don't get thoroughly screwed in the process.

Sorry about the editorial - I just can't help getting worked up over this issue.  None of us would tolerate this kind of safety-related problem with our family car, but it appears that many of us have been forced to tolerate it (and pay to fix it) on our bikes because the MoCo thinks it is immune from normal market forces as well as regulatory ones.  

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 02:46:35 PM »

Jerry, good post.  Is this related?... In the Smoky twisties last week, keeping rpm up 3 - 4k, when I throttled back it was like I shut off the ignition, then throttling up out of the turn gave me a 'pop and go', like ignition turned back on. Creepy feeling... not good control.  Upshift and drop rpm and things were fine, but then had to downshift again.  Think a SERT will cure that? I've got one on order at my dealer...don't know if they can get it for me or not (didn't say they couldn't, so far).

Garz   [smiley=smoking.gif]
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 02:47:23 PM »

Damn Jerry.
Kickin A$$. ;D

Maybe we need to get a petition started.  [smiley=drink.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 05:12:50 PM »

Jerry, good post.  Is this related?... In the Smoky twisties last week, [highlight]keeping rpm up 3 - 4k, when I throttled back it was like I shut off the ignition, then throttling up out of the turn gave me a 'pop and go', like ignition turned back on.[/highlight] Creepy feeling... not good control.  Upshift and drop rpm and things were fine, but then had to downshift again.  Think a SERT will cure that? I've got one on order at my dealer...don't know if they can get it for me or not (didn't say they couldn't, so far).

Garz,

Could very well be related.  When you chop the throttle at high rpm, especially in the lower gears, the MAP sensor detects a very high vacuum and signals the ECM.  The ECM cuts fuel to prevent excessive unburnt hydrocarbons (and reduce popping), since there is insufficient air to burn the fuel.  If the base air/fuel settings are too lean, it will feel like you shut the bike off until the rpms drop below about 2500 rpm. Try this - with your bike at normal operating temp, run it up to 4000 + rpm in 3rd gear and then cut the throttle and let the bike coast down. You will hear and feel the affect I'm talking about, with the exhaust note changing back to normal once you coast down below about 2500 rpm.  If you richen up the mixture with a tuning device, you will still have the same affect on decel but it won't be as pronounced and it won't cause the herky-jerkies you had on your ride in the Smokies.  With no other data to go by, this would be my best guess as to what was occurring on your ride.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:09:14 AM by grc »

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 06:30:23 PM »

Had same issue. Just had to reach in my pocket and give F*MOCO more $$ to finish the job with a Race Tuner. Now the bike runs and starts and don't stall. Hope you get your brand new bike fixed.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 10:04:18 PM »

Jerry, you described it exactly. So, hope the SERT cures it.
Thanks! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.