Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Redshift 575's and head work  (Read 2581 times)

Gordito

• Full CVO Member
  • I know Jack Sh*t
Redshift 575's and head work
« on: July 11, 2006, 05:53:02 PM »

The bike's been in the shop for almost three weeks for (originally) the cam change. Since I was going to be out of town anyway, we decided to get the heads ported, polished and CNC'd. Installing compression releases as they're getting it over 10 to 1 vice the stock 8 to 1.

So, my question is this: Have any of you guys had head work done in addition to installing the 575's? The big issue for me compared to most of you is that with the CA emission crap, all of this work will probably get my bike to around stock for the rest of you. I gotta get out of California!!
2006 FLHTCUSE
Red Shift 575 gear drive cams
Heads ported & polished
Zippers hi flow air filter
Bassani True Duals
Bassani Megaphones
race tuner

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Redshift 575's and head work
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 06:00:17 PM »

Gord, the first thing that comes to mind is that the 575 cam was designed very specifically for our engines with heads in their stock condition?  Did you speak with Zippers and see if you were maintaining a good combination?  With their own ported heads in the combination they offer a 657 cam.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:05:06 PM by twolanerider »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 07:02:10 PM »

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 10:20:37 PM »

The bike's been in the shop for almost three weeks for (originally) the cam change. Since I was going to be out of town anyway, we decided to get the heads ported, polished and CNC'd. Installing compression releases as they're getting it over 10 to 1 vice the stock 8 to 1.

So, my question is this: Have any of you guys had head work done in addition to installing the 575's? The big issue for me compared to most of you is that with the CA emission crap, all of this work will probably get my bike to around stock for the rest of you. I gotta get out of California!!

I do have a few questions. First, are they cutting the heads? If so how much? You speak of a compression ratio of over 10 to 1. How are you getting these numbers? Just doing the head work without decking the heads won't hurt any if the heads are done right, also it may not help any. I know for a fact that the CNC program that Zippers for our heads is different and VERY COMPLICATED. They had to do numerous sets of heads to get it right. Part of the problem is the hemi design with the plugs off to one side. This causes a problem with flame travel and burn in the cylinder. I would be very careful with how you go about this modifaction.

When the 575 cam was developed it was developed to work with the very low corrected compression ratio of our motors and also the design of the combustion chamber. The cam was designed to be a BOLT IN MODIFACTION ONLY!!!!! No head work no spring change and no increase in compression. The 103 muscle kit has the heads CNC'ed by Zippers using thier cnc program and 10.5 to 1 weisco pistons (I believe) Also a 50mm throttle body. With this package also comes the Red Shift TC657 cam shafts. Higher lift for better cylinder fill and a broader range in valve timing also longer duration.

I hope you will be OK with your setup. Please when you finish post some results for all of us to see.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Gordito

• Full CVO Member
  • I know Jack Sh*t
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 09:26:02 AM »

Gord, the first thing that comes to mind is that the 575 cam was designed very specifically for our engines with heads in their stock condition?  Did you speak with Zippers and see if you were maintaining a good combination?  With their own ported heads in the combination they offer a 657 cam.

When I originally bought the cams, I recognized they were specifically built for our bikes as a straight bolt in. The issue was that when they were installed, I was told that there appeared to be a clearance issue. I wasn't there, and took his word for it. Were I going through a dealer, I might be skeptical but since I'm working with an indy who is making nothing on the head work, I'm a bit more trusting.

Now, based on comments I hope I didn't just screw up my engine.
2006 FLHTCUSE
Heads ported & polished
Bassani True Duals
Bassani Megaphones
race tuner

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 03:33:14 PM »

The only clearance issures with cam changes are the rockers to rocker box covers (grind the webbing)  valve spring retainer to rocker box ( not at issue here as you're not going to bigger springs) or cam lobe to the boss over the pinion in the cam case...has not been an issue with any previous 575 installs I'm aware of.....What exact clearance issue was there with your motor...something different in the case on an '06 v.s. an '05,'04 ??
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

Gordito

• Full CVO Member
  • I know Jack Sh*t
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 04:09:07 PM »

The only clearance issures with cam changes are the rockers to rocker box covers (grind the webbing)  valve spring retainer to rocker box ( not at issue here as you're not going to bigger springs) or cam lobe to the boss over the pinion in the cam case...has not been an issue with any previous 575 installs I'm aware of.....What exact clearance issue was there with your motor...something different in the case on an '06 v.s. an '05,'04 ??

Not convinced there was an issue, just a concern as the work was being done. In any case, I called and spoke with Tony at Zippers this AM. Said there was nothing to worry about and the cams would perform as advertised. Did say I could go with a 657 (or was that 675?) now that the heads were done. Just might do that after I get my butt back in the saddle and ride for awhile.
2006 FLHTCUSE
Heads ported & polished
Bassani True Duals
Bassani Megaphones
race tuner

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 08:59:14 PM »

657 cam :)

Had it in the cherry that got totalled with Zippers head work / Thermal Coating / S&S roller Rockers and we did need to clearance the rocker boxes to handle the extra lift.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 07:57:41 AM »

Not convinced there was an issue, just a concern as the work was being done. In any case, I called and spoke with Tony at Zippers this AM. Said there was nothing to worry about and the cams would perform as advertised. Did say I could go with a 657 (or was that 675?) now that the heads were done. Just might do that after I get my butt back in the saddle and ride for awhile.

Thats great news..now make sure you let us know how it works out after that first ride...it's like being a little boy again..how you felt on Christmas eve just knowing you're gonna get some great toys!!!
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.