Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1550 High Torque kit  (Read 3680 times)

FrankD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
1550 High Torque kit
« on: July 18, 2006, 12:23:50 AM »

My local MoCo dealership just sent me a flyer for upgrading 1550 motors. This SE HTCC kit consists of the following parts:

HTCC heads (not CNC ported)
Big Bore Cylinders
HTCC Forged Pistons
Cams
EFI Intake manifold
Air & Breather kit

Has anyone used HTCC heads, pistons and cams? I looking for some feedback on this setup for a meager $4100.

Thanks
Frank
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ah, but one, one of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: 1550 High Torque kit
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:32:57 AM »

My local MoCo dealership just sent me a flyer for upgrading 1550 motors. This SE HTCC kit consists of the following parts:

HTCC heads (not CNC ported)
Big Bore Cylinders
HTCC Forged Pistons
Cams
EFI Intake manifold
Air & Breather kit

Has anyone used HTCC heads, pistons and cams? I looking for some feedback on this setup for a meager $4100.

Thanks
Frank

TOOOOOO MUCH MONEY for a package that will deliver SOOOOOOOOO LITTLE!!!!!! You need to look at the 103 muscle kit for our 103 motors that Zippers has developed. WWW.ZIPPERSPERFORMANCE.COM or 301-621-2311. You will get more bang for your buck and a package that was developed for our motors and our riding style.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 08:58:11 AM »

TOOOOOO MUCH MONEY for a package that will deliver SOOOOOOOOO LITTLE!!!!!! You need to look at the 103 muscle kit for our 103 motors that Zippers has developed. WWW.ZIPPERSPERFORMANCE.COM or 301-621-2311. You will get more bang for your buck and a package that was developed for our motors and our riding style.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

yo dawg,
if he has the road glide thats in the picture, then he has a 95" not a 103", and the musle kit will do him no good.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

FrankD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:19:38 AM »

Kng 103,

Your observations are correct. I do have a stock 2001 SERG . Since it will probably be at least two more years before we will all see a new SERG I decideed to upgrade for more torque and at the same time address the MM EFI system. I was told a upgrade on the thottle body with dyno tune and SERT upgrade should take care of the problem.

Frank
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ah, but one, one of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:47:56 AM »

A throttle body and dyno tune alone will only give you minmal improvements. Are there any mods to the bike at all? IS the exhaust and intake still stock? If so start with a good exhaust system and high flow ac kit alone with the race tuner, PCIII, or Zippers ECM. This will give you a boost in performance. The next step would be a bolt in cam, and if your looking for even more a good port and polish on your stock heads combined with higher lift cams will get you the most bang for your buck.

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 10:39:28 AM »

Kng 103,

Your observations are correct. I do have a stock 2001 SERG . Since it will probably be at least two more years before we will all see a new SERG I decideed to upgrade for more torque and at the same time address the MM EFI system. I was told a upgrade on the thottle body with dyno tune and SERT upgrade should take care of the problem.

Frank

my uncle has a 2000 rkc.
he has se-performance heads,se-257 cam,forged pistons, and if i am not mistaken a 43mm throttle body with a pcIII, and a thunderheader.
his bike pulls like a freight train.
keeps up with my 103 until 4th gear.
his dyno had 100#'s of torque at about 2500 rpm's.
you should be able to achieve the same results without spending alot of money.
hope this helps.
                                                         lou

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

FrankD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 11:24:42 AM »

HD-Dude,

Thanks for your input. My 01 SERG is bone stock with 1600 miles on the odometer. I should do the following:

1. SE Air and Breather Kit 29441-99A

2. I'm trying to find header pipes that do not have heatshields (I hate covers on anything) with both pipes being the same length. Do I stay with the stock diameter of 2-1/2"?

3. Mufflers are another problem (many threads regarding exhaust systems) I looking for something middle of the road for noise and will not rob me of the power like the stock mufflers.

4. SERT, PCIII, and Zippers ECM is one program any better than the other? If I decide to change barrels, pistons, cams or thottle body again will I need to purchase something additional? Do all these manufacturers programs address spark, timing, fuel mixture, max RPM and etc. in detail?

I confused about SERT and the SE EFI Race Fueler programs. I have not sat down and reviewed either program. I just printed the tech data from this site today.

5. Does this site or you have any preferred vendors for porting and polishing heads?

6. Any suggestion on cams SE-251, Andrews or Zippers

Thanks for the assistances!

Frank

Hericletus 500BC

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 11:45:42 AM »

HD-Dude,

Thanks for your input. My 01 SERG is bone stock with 1600 miles on the odometer. I should do the following:

2. I'm trying to find header pipes that do not have heatshields (I hate covers on anything) with both pipes being the same length. Do I stay with the stock diameter of 2-1/2"?

3. Mufflers are another problem (many threads regarding exhaust systems) I looking for something middle of the road for noise and will not rob me of the power like the stock mufflers.

4. SERT, PCIII, and Zippers ECM is one program any better than the other? If I decide to change barrels, pistons, cams or thottle body again will I need to purchase something additional? Do all these manufacturers programs address spark, timing, fuel mixture, max RPM and etc. in detail?

I confused about SERT and the SE EFI Race Fueler programs. I have not sat down and reviewed either program. I just printed the tech data from this site today.

5. Does this site or you have any preferred vendors for porting and polishing heads?

Frank

1. Stay away from the SE AC kit. It comes with a POS paper element. See this thread on the AC kit:http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1143769456/0

2. Not sure of any pipe without shields as the blueing would be pretty ugly unless you were to get them coated. A stepped header would work best.

3. I would run Reinharts!

4. The PCIII is probable the least expensive and the easiest to set up. I had heard that the SERT is discontinued but do not know for sure. The Zippers has the most tuning parameters but there are limited people that have the knowlege to program them. Yes they all do the various tuning options, just in different ways. I would not waste my money on the race fueler as all you can do is add fuel, no timing or individual cylinder adjustments.

5. For Port and polish shops in your area I would ask around at some of your local indy shops. There are several around the country that do great work. I use Hannan's machine in Hayward, CA.

6. For cams it really depends on what you do with heads. I would stay away from the SE offerings as you still have the crappy chains to deal with. If you want a bolt in then a S&S 510g or Andrews 37G work well in an otherwise stock 95". With head work your options really grow. Are you looking for torque or top end?

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 11:50:39 AM »

HD-Dude,

Frank

if you like the look of the true duals, the bassani pipes are equal length.
you can use any slip on with them. i have their ho slip ons, and can hear my radio fine at cruising speeds. they roar real nice when i stomp on them.
i also have the 251 cam.
this cam is a hi torque cam that works well with a long open exhaust system.
do you have se-performance heads?
if not, the lift may be to high for your stock heads.

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:30:41 PM »

Frank D, I'm running the same bike as you. I have a SE (K&N Style) filter, Bassani slip ons and a PCII. The bike made 82.8 HP & 94 TQ. As I posted in another thread I have a set of free flowing ported heads here, roller rockers and adjustable push rods (which I'll try not to use). I have another set of jugs here that I have considered going over sized on and than changing the pistons to something with a tad more compression. I was seeking information on cams. That is a very opinionated topic. Unless the bike and riding style are the same, the results will differ. For me I decided on S&S 570G's. Now this may change as I have considered a S&S stroker kit. (I get S&S products at a decent price) Your questions on the M&M injection is a good one. I asked some questions about the M&M injection over on the tech boards tonight. I'm just waiting to see the responses I get.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 11:58:34 PM »

On that 95" you should actually send the heads off to John Sachs, Al Redmann or Branch Flowmetrics and have them cleaned up and go no larger than a 1.94 intake.   Install the 251 cam with the appropriate valves/springs to match the cam as your stock heads as memory serves will NOT tolerate the greater lift by the 251 cam if your staying harley.   This combination yielded me 104 tq and 100 hp the 2 times I did this with Al Redmann heads.  Both Al Redmann and Sachs will shoot for approx 10 to 1 compression it will run reliably and with great torque down low.  I would suggest either Rineharts or the Bassani True Duals with a K&N or Zippers Air Cleaner.   If your wiling to go gear drive there are a lot more cams out there to choose from though and no more tensioners to worry about :)    Zippers also has a MM conversion on the Fuel Injection :)  its not cheap, but might also be another suggestion to look at.

If you have any questions about the build or need the phone numbers for these head guys send me a pm.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Big Time

• Junior CVO Member
  • We ride for beer...need a beer for the ride
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 04:04:24 PM »

Take a look at these two sites. They offer some nice packages for not a whole lot of ching.

http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/

http://www.gmrperformance.com/
2004 FLHTCSE black and blue
1998 XLHC 1200

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.