Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible Lifter Problem?  (Read 2344 times)

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
Possible Lifter Problem?
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:30:51 AM »

I have read where several guys have had issues with the rollers on the lifters not being hardened. Or the chrome hardened finish coming off.
The reason I even ask is I have a slight buzzing in my engine. It's not a bad vibration but it is noticeable to me and a friend rode my bike and he said he could tell it a little bit. My bike is a 2010 96" with 204 cams which I had installed before I brought the bike home. 

I'm wondering if my problem might be those lifters. The hardening may have worn off the rollers thus causing a slight vibration. I actually spoke to a guy who said he had the exact thing happen to his bike as well.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this and see if any of you engine builders have experienced this?
Already replaced the compensator to a SE and that actually seemed to have helped a little but didn't cure. When I first got the bike it didn't do it and now it has 15,000 miles on it.
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Possible Lifter Problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 09:03:09 AM »

I have read where several guys have had issues with the rollers on the lifters not being hardened. Or the chrome hardened finish coming off.
The reason I even ask is I have a slight buzzing in my engine. It's not a bad vibration but it is noticeable to me and a friend rode my bike and he said he could tell it a little bit. My bike is a 2010 96" with 204 cams which I had installed before I brought the bike home. 

I'm wondering if my problem might be those lifters. The hardening may have worn off the rollers thus causing a slight vibration. I actually spoke to a guy who said he had the exact thing happen to his bike as well.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this and see if any of you engine builders have experienced this?
Already replaced the compensator to a SE and that actually seemed to have helped a little but didn't cure. When I first got the bike it didn't do it and now it has 15,000 miles on it.

You can quickly lose your mind worrying about stuff like this with a Harley.  There are as many reasons for strange noises and vibrations as there are parts, and it would be impossible to tell you over the internet if your noise or vibration is coming from something like a lifter.  Before you drive yourself nuts, look for the simple stuff that has tripped up many of us over the years.  Loose parts, like exhaust heat shields for instance, have been known to cause people to tear down an engine looking for what they swear sounds like a lifter or other internal problem.  Any grounding of a part of the engine, exhaust, drivetrain, etc. to the frame or footboards or other hard parts can also make you swear the engine is about to come apart.  Even an exhaust leak at the head can sound like a mechanical problem.  What I'm trying to say is, approach this logically and don't just assume it's something you read about on the internet. 

Proper diagnosis of any problem should start with the basics.  I don't think you really want to pull the cam plate and the lifters for an inspection as the first step in the process, but if you do I guess it's not all that difficult if you have adjustable pushrods.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:04:29 AM »

Jerry I appreciate your advice and your right I know. I have tried to find something on or around the exhaust that could cause this as well. Like I said it's not something thats going to jump out at you as far as noticing but I can tell it. But I have rode it for 10,000 miles at least if not more but in May the 2 year warranty is out. Just wanted to cash in a possibilities of problems while it's still on HD.
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »

Jerry (aka Gerry :) )is a smart guy and his response is appropriate.
If I owned a CVO 110 and even if it was stock I would cut the pushrods and put in adjustables so that lifters could easily inspected on each 10K. I would also change the primary oil every oil change (same as I would with all late model 6sp bikes). Just my own preferances based on the failures we see and trying to establish a more proactive preventitive / predictive maintenance program.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:46:11 AM »

I'd start by checking all your motor mounts. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:03:10 PM »

A few years ago i had a buzzing vibe that drove me nutty. Finally tracked it down to pipes hitting brake pedal. Ck pipes closely for any contact :orange: :bananarock:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 06:58:14 AM »

Yep.
Scott

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 12:40:32 PM »

Perhaps goes without saying, but check for interferences when the bike is running.  Sometimes when there looks as though there is plenty of clearance there isn;t when everything is shaking. 
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 04:57:07 AM »

Thanks Guys, I'll take a look at my clearence around the pedals etc. I also talked once to the guy at Glide Pro and he has developed some new motor mounts for the new bikes. He said he had heard complaints just as mine and these mounts take that away. I rode mine about a hour the other day and it's no where near as bad as it was before we replaced the comp. to a SE comp. But while they did that they had to remove the exhaust to replace the clutch cable because of a bad seal so there could have been something there for sure.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.