Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: WTF is wrong with my 103" Updated  (Read 26657 times)

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
Re: WTF is wrong with my 103" Updated
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 09:54:52 PM »

sounds like your doing good ..and it appears the dealer is stepping up to the plate  keep us posted on the progress
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 06:35:32 AM »

Update
Bike is at dealer that did the install. They have acknowledged they must have made a mistake during assembly.
The service manager says he will make it right. Their plan is to flush everything, replace cam, bearings, cam plate and pump, new cam cover etc.
My concern is debris in the case and crank bearings and possibly to the top end. There was a couple chips in the oil pump but mgr says nothing of any significance in the oil pan. I appreciate them trying to satisfy me and I don't want to split the cases unnecessarily but I have major concerns about engine life now.

They said the would put in what ever cam I wanted because they know I was not happy with the noisy Zippers 575. They reccomend the SE 211. I was thinking the SE 255 but they say that is only for 2007 and newer. You can see what I have from my first post for upgrades. I ride two up most of the time and carry a good load with full tour pak leathers etc. I want a quiet cam and would not have a problem going back to the stock SE253 but it would kind of suck to go backwards.
Any input is greatly appreciated

I wouldn't trust them to change the oil at that HD Dealer.
One of the reasons I found a highly recommended local wrench to do the work.
Splitting The Case is Serious.

When I do my build this winter, I am going with Dave Mackie TC590 CAMs for my FLHRSEI2.
http://www.davemackie.com/cams.html

In fact I am going to do a DME  "Mega-Sphere" Package
http://www.davemackie.com/twincam.html

I have been reaearching this all winter long and asking lots of questions.
Visited 3 HD Dealers in Maine and 3 HD Dealers in NH. No warm and fuzzy feelings there and they all have their own agenda of what they want to sell yu.

Found a highly recommended local wrench in Maine and Mike will do my build.
He hates to have his customers return with complaints, so he does it right the first time.

Good Luck with the repairs\rebuild
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:06:15 PM by Dead_Reckoning »
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »

Dieselnut,

If htis is ofr your 2003 Roadking, on that year year bike .004 on the runout is beyond the HD spec for that motor.   In 2003 the runout spec was .003 before they replaced the crank.  Even if you were to put that crank back in personally I would not do it without either replacing the crank or having it out to one of the crank guys like Dark Horse, Rev Performance, T-Man or R&R.

good luck with the rebuild and make sure they clean out your oil cooler really well too.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Diese1nut

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 10:18:09 AM »

That is new information for me. Thank you. I don't you could get a new out of the box crank with less than .004 run out. Fortunately R&R is about 2 miles away.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 10:23:18 AM »

get it done right and you will have a smooooooth ride.

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »

I don't you could get a new out of the box crank with less than .004 run out.

Perhaps the numbers have been changed somewhat since my manual was published, but here are a couple tables from the '09 Touring service manual:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 06:04:02 PM »

Perhaps the numbers have been changed somewhat since my manual was published, but here are a couple tables from the '09 Touring service manual:

The runout specs for cranks changed (I believe) in 2007 when the manufacturing process for cranks changed.  The new manufacturing process resulted in cranks that far exceeded the previous previous runout specs - hence the new "more generous" specs...

Back in '04, when the crank in question was new, .004 exceeded the published '04 specs...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Diese1nut

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 07:39:46 AM »

Went to dealer yesterday and motor is completely disassembled. I was pleased at the overall condition. Debris in the sump case was what I would call normal. No particles of metal that you could put your finger on. Just the usual dust type film you would get on a magnetic plug. The pistons looked new on the sides and carbon on the tops. No scoring on jugs. I could still see the cross hatching from the original honing.
Overall I am pleased. they did find the spline on the alternator rotor to be worn and will be replaced. The spacer on the transmission shaft had worked it's way in and the seal needs to be replaced. Other than that they are going to replace the main bearings and put it back together.
They hope to have it complete the end of next week. I couldn't ask for more that that.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 09:25:14 AM »

I really hope you mean by put it back together that they are going to replace or fix your crank.   Yes Scott (Sandubar is correct they changed the crank spec in 07) with the release of the case for the twin cam.   It went for those motors from .003 to .012.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »

I have an 07 and bought the service manuals when I bought the bike. My manual says max runout is .003 but the MOCO decided during the year up to .012 is acceptable I think to slow down engine replacements as the really bad ones started surfacing. I have yet to meet a mechanic that would even accept anything over .002 when building a motor themselves. :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »

I have an 07 and bought the service manuals when I bought the bike. My manual says max runout is .003 but the MOCO decided during the year up to .012 is acceptable I think to slow down engine replacements as the really bad ones started surfacing. I have yet to meet a mechanic that would even accept anything over .002 when building a motor themselves. :nixweiss:

Yes indeed.  The "spec change" came about after all the early failures in 2007 got people worried so they started checking pinion shaft runout.  Harley would have found themselves replacing the majority of the junk they put out if they hadn't quickly increased the tolerance.  They did it in stages, btw.  I can't remember the exact number they originally went with, but the .012" thing came only after their first BS number still didn't make all those parts suddenly "good".

They made a big deal about how you had to allow a much larger tolerance if you measured the runout in the cases versus out of the engine on a test stand.  Funny, but that was never an issue with the previous crankshafts.  It's just a BS way to obfuscate the issue.  The oil pump and cam drive gear don't give a chit about how much runout that shaft has in a test stand, they only know what they see in the engine.  And .012" will rapidly wear out oil pumps and cam plates.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 12:29:22 PM »

Jerry (not to be confused with Gerry ;) ) I like your posts and I even picked up a new word in that one.
Makes sense I agree. The aftermarket has done a good job for the most part of filling the gaps despite no factory help and a passive aggressive attitude to boot, IMHO

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 06:10:09 PM »

The question begs to be asked:  Since the new spec is now "official" HD spewing, would a pre '07 bike still be subject to the "old" spec?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »

The question begs to be asked:  Since the new spec is now "official" HD spewing, would a pre '07 bike still be subject to the "old" spec?
And...will the MoCo now say it's ok to use synthetic oil in the older scoots now that they've got some of their brand on the shelf?  :o har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2012, 07:54:15 PM »

Doesn't matter Terry.  Those bikes are long out of warranty, so Harley has no stake in them.  Don't forget, ESP repairs aren't paid for by Harley.  In fact, I assume they make a profit on all those repairs since they sell the parts at a profit to the repair shop that in turn sends the bill to the ESP company.  It's a win all around proposition for H-D, and just one more reason they don't really care about fixing the many design flaws and part quality concerns as long as the majority make it past two years before they fail.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.