Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: last Saturday my bike bleed out  (Read 13037 times)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: last Saturday my bike bleed out
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »

djkak must be an automotive forensic scientist
Good commentary

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2012, 11:00:10 AM »

also cylinder walls still have the x pattern in them  and look great 

You don't write of your plans for the existing cylinders and pistons.  Just a fresh hone and re-ring or doing more?

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2012, 11:05:30 AM »

new jugs and pistons building a 113  from http://www.revperf.com/Products/machineShop.html
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2012, 11:06:25 AM »

new jugs and pistons building a 113  from http://www.revperf.com/Products/machineShop.html

Missed that in the first quick read.  My bad.  Good choice.  They're a good shop.

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2012, 11:42:30 AM »

Just curious...why was the MOCO doing an inspection?  Did your dealer tell them that he could not determine the failure cause or did he just have an overly aggressive MOCO rep who was trying to make a name for himself.  I have had a "friend" that had a 113 build on a Fltrx and the MOCO paid for his entire repair since it was determined the cause of failure was NOT the checkered flag performance parts but the tappet...He got cases and all.  just curious???
 :soapbox:
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »

Just curious...why was the MOCO doing an inspection?  Did your dealer tell them that he could not determine the failure cause or did he just have an overly aggressive MOCO rep who was trying to make a name for himself.  I have had a "friend" that had a 113 build on a Fltrx and the MOCO paid for his entire repair since it was determined the cause of failure was NOT the checkered flag performance parts but the tappet...He got cases and all.  just curious???

The 64K question is who made that determination?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2012, 02:29:20 PM »

the story goes as this
they checked compression low on back cylinder ordered rings pulled it apart more then rings they ordered jugs and new heads parts department at moco  flag went up rep came out
and the bike ran going into shop now i get it back in parts
2009 ultra black

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2012, 07:17:29 PM »

...I have had a "friend" that had a 113 build on a Fltrx and the MOCO paid for his entire repair since it was determined the cause of failure was NOT the checkered flag performance parts but the tappet...He got cases and all...

My sense is that each case of a covered failure with a modified machine stands on its own merits, and the specific details surrounding each failure. The result of looking at various random failures out of context appears somewhat nonsensical, which is really no surprise.

In the case of a failed tappet roller: if the failed tappet was from a batch of tappets with known issues, it doesn’t seem at all unusual that H-D would step up with a complete or partial solution. Earlier SE tappets, sourced through Jim’s, created very significant headaches for both Jim’s and H-D. I have seen these tappets, in the early stages of failure, with as little as 3,000ish miles on them. I squared-off one of these SE tappet rollers in my own 113 Road Glide a few years back.

The circumstances around Gabe’s meltdown appear much less obvious than Chip’s issue mentioned earlier, or a mechanical meltdown resulting from one of the early SE tappet failures, if that’s what caused that specific failure.
jmho

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »

My sense is that each case of a covered failure with a modified machine stands on its own merits, and the specific details surrounding each failure. The result of looking at various random failures out of context appears somewhat nonsensical, which is really no surprise.

In the case of a failed tappet roller: if the failed tappet was from a batch of tappets with known issues, it doesn’t seem at all unusual that H-D would step up with a complete or partial solution. Earlier SE tappets, sourced through Jim’s, created very significant headaches for both Jim’s and H-D. I have seen these tappets, in the early stages of failure, with as little as 3,000ish miles on them. I squared-off one of these SE tappet rollers in my own 113 Road Glide a few years back.

The circumstances around Gabe’s meltdown appear much less obvious than Chip’s issue mentioned earlier, or a mechanical meltdown resulting from one of the early SE tappet failures, if that’s what caused that specific failure.
jmho

HI WHO EVER YOU ARE I THANK YOU FOR INPUT BUT AFTER LOOKING AT PICS WHAT DO YOU THINK  REALLY CAUSED MY PROBLEM HAVE NOT GOT A STRAIGHT ANSWER FROM ANYBODY YET AND WOULD LIKE TO HEAR YOUR OPINION ON THIS
THANKS GABE
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:52:35 PM by gabe »
2009 ultra black

hogasm

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »

What does the oil filter look like :confused5:

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »

WE CUT IT OPEN AND LOOKS BAD AND SEND IT OFF WITH OIL
2009 ultra black

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2012, 09:19:03 PM »

HI WHO EVER YOU ARE I THANK YOU FOR INPUT BUT AFTER LOOKING AT PICS WHAT DO YOU THINK  REALLY CAUSED MY PROBLEM HAVE NOT GOT A STRAIGHT ANSWER FROM ANYBODY YET AND WOULD LIKE TO HEAR YOUR OPINION ON THIS
THANKS GABE

Hey Gabe, I apologize if it seems like I’m hacking on you. Reply #62 covers my perspective of your failure in some detail; additional speculation really wouldn’t add any value. I wouldn’t bet my paycheck on any inspection made over the ether in this manner; but that’s just me. A pro with ample field experience could clean this mess up, inspect the damage and give you a pretty clear idea of the root cause.

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »

Me...with very little doubt in my voice...I was told by a MOCO REP that a 113 was not a covered "warrrantable" issue...I simply restated the use of the performance parts MAY as in "...Installation of Screamin’ Eagle® products, and similar off-road or competition products from other manufacturers, except some street-legal offerings installed by authorized Harley® dealers, may void your H-D® limited vehicle warranty. See your dealer for more information."   I have had a claim suspended until a customer could produce maintenance records...I have yet had the MOCO come to the shop and inspect prior to having the repair  completed.  I have had a few claims suspended until the failed part in question was returned to the MOCO for their satisfaction inspection....I have had ESP claims denied, then inspected then okd.   BUT the ESP plan is NOT a warranty nor a warranty extention but rather an Extended Service Plan that is more specific in what is a serviceable or covered component, and most ESP plans exclude performance enhancements and consequential damages...
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »

If you didnt already know my bike did the same thing at 5500 miles. I had been to the hd dealer earlier and came to the conclusion that they were total morons. Instead of fighting the warranty thing i took it up to jim at metal dragon and am relying on him to make it right at my expense. He found that i had a bad valve seat,there was seroius carbon build up on piston and heads, front piston ring stuck in groove, cyl and piston clearence were out at .0045, rod side play was out cant remember #s,crank run out was .0065 within hd spec but no one elses. So the crank will be welded,trued and balanced,new pistons .010 over,valve job,cams. Good thing i still have the 05 SEEG rode the crap out of it for almost 500 miles saturday and it never missed a beat. 66000 miles

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »

If you didnt already know my bike did the same thing at 5500 miles....

Sorry to read about your new machine. I looked back a bit didn’t see photos of the engine. I wish both you and Gabe the best going forward.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:18:18 PM by djkak »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 22 queries.