Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: last Saturday my bike bleed out  (Read 12967 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: last Saturday my bike bleed out
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »

If you didnt already know my bike did the same thing at 5500 miles. I had been to the hd dealer earlier and came to the conclusion that they were total morons. Instead of fighting the warranty thing i took it up to jim at metal dragon and am relying on him to make it right at my expense. He found that i had a bad valve seat,there was seroius carbon build up on piston and heads, front piston ring stuck in groove, cyl and piston clearence were out at .0045, rod side play was out cant remember #s,crank run out was .0065 within hd spec but no one elses. So the crank will be welded,trued and balanced,new pistons .010 over,valve job,cams. Good thing i still have the 05 SEEG rode the crap out of it for almost 500 miles saturday and it never missed a beat. 66000 miles

I guess Jim hd-dude can tell us if the issue with Van's motor appears to be the same as Gabes. Above was a very good description of what happened to Vans motor but unless I missed it there has been no explanation as to what happened to Gabes motor.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:   :nervous:   :nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2012, 11:18:35 PM »

I guess Jim hd-dude can tell us if the issue with Van's motor appears to be the same as Gabes. Above was a very good description of what happened to Vans motor but unless I missed it there has been no explanation as to what happened to Gabes motor.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:   :nervous:   :nixweiss:
SBB

The photos of Gabe’s meltdown do a pretty good job of covering the issue. The cause hasn’t been uncovered yet; some cleanup and a few more photos would help with that.

IMO, the tolerance issues that Van describes would not result in the meltdown pictured in Gabe’s photographs. The “bad seat” also doesn’t describe the issue with the seat. A mechanical failure resulting in damage to the piston, cylinder or rings would leave strong evidence of the failure, yet there is no description or photos to support that.

I don’t care to offer detailed comment on Van’s issue without decent photographs; that would seem too much like shaking the angry bumble bee in the jar; what’s the point. I agree with Van on the tolerance issues, and wouldn’t offer push-back to that.

My sense is that Gabe’s engine damaged was the result of severe overheating. If the exhaust valve guides are bell mouthed at the port end, that would support the overheating theory, as it also would with Van if his circumstances are similar.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2012, 11:44:13 PM »

got a couple of pics

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »

-

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2012, 11:45:17 PM »

-

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2012, 11:13:57 PM »

got a couple of pics

Some of the photos are washed-out by the flash, reducing the detail, but clearly there is an oil control issue; although the detail in the photos isn’t clear enough to point at anything specific.

If hd-dude has a couple of low mileage, standard size 110 “take off” pistons laying around, they could be used to help gauge the condition of Van’s front cylinder piston.

Van writes that that there is .0045” piston to cylinder clearance. This is exceptionally high and may be the result of a collapsed skirt resulting from extreme heat. In my experience, issues with excessive clearance are usually the result of inconsistent bore dimension, rather than a broad variance between pistons. I would expect standard size pistons to have less than .001” of variance; significantly more than that and I would suspect a skirt collapse related to overheating.

As a piston overheats the contact patch with the cylinder will increase in width. If the pattern on Van’s front piston is significantly wider than a known good used piston, that is a good indication of higher than normal operating temps.

After cleaning the piston, preferably in a vat, if there is any evidence of material missing from the top of the piston, that would be clear evidence of unstable combustion and extreme heat. Cracked ring lands would also be clear evidence of unstable combustion.

Gauge the top compression ring’s tension in the cylinder by hand, and compare it with a known good top piston ring. If the ring has little or no tension, that is clear evidence of extreme overheating.

The compression rings do not run flat against the bore, so if the wear pattern on either ring, typically the top ring, runs the full depth of the ring in any spot, that is compelling evidence of a lubricant issue, considering the low mileage.

Good luck Van.

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »

thanks to all that took the time to jump in and help
special thanks to revolution performance for a good bottom end and head rebuild
steve from tts  taking the time to explain how the ecm works
doc for sending me a tune to start from
wife and son for putting up with me and the bike down
rode her today 150 miles back on the road
sounds good iam a happy camper and now have a harley motor build under my belt
the only real down side was the money
thanks gabe
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:26:01 PM by gabe »
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2012, 11:29:28 PM »

Congrats on the successful rebuild :2vrolijk_21: Are you running Redline thru her veins?
Hawg

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2012, 11:49:39 PM »

Gabe .. good to see you and the family survived the crisis .. as they say " what dont kill ya , will make ya stronger " although .. at times I wonder .. you prolly have better than what ya started with .. I too am a Rev Perf fan ..
 Congrats .. now enjoy ..
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.