Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Take a guess at my compression ratio  (Read 1940 times)

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
Re: Take a guess at my compression ratio
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 09:23:27 AM »

The only thing that closes the compression releases is some combustion, so far as I know.  They should be just like manual releases in that regard; they just get initially "pushed" by solenoids instead of a finger.

I don't characterize throttle blade progressivity as "lag".  The throttle blade doesn't lag behind the twistrip.  It opens when you roll the grip; at lower engine speeds it just doesn't open as much as you rolled the grip when properly set up.  It's a percentage.  If it's set in the table as 30% somewhere in the 40% throttle column, it will follow your twistgrip immediately, but will only go 3/4 as much as the grip went.  Setting the table to make the throttle blade go to 100% at lower engine speeds is pointless anyway since full usable airflow through the engine then is achieved way below 100% opening.  Any engine speed faster than the last row in the table uses the values from that last row, so by the time the engine gets there, it's like none of the other table even exists.

Think of it like this.  100% of any column heading value in all cells in that column is just like a cable-operated throttle body.  When "properly" set up, the two (ETC/direct) pretty much compare to each other the same as a direct-control slide carb compares to a CV carb.  In the CV you don't have direct control over the actual throttle opening anywhere.  Sure, you control the butterfly, but the vacuum controls the actual throttle opening.

I think what most folks are calling "lag" has got to be the "disconnect" between the throttle blade and the twistgrip while on cruise control and trying to "find" it when resuming manual control, near as I can tell.  That takes a few rides to get used to, but after ~25k miles I have to really think about it to even notice it.

Great post!  Makes sense. 
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Take a guess at my compression ratio
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »

I think the Thundermax has a feature like you're talking about.  I'll get with them and figure it out.

I probably need to do the compression test again because the TMax doesn't close the compression releases for 2 revolutions so basically I probably got good compression on the 3rd revolution.  I can change this in the settings to zero so I don't have to crank so much.

Thanks for all the help.

I maybe misunderstanding your meaning here, but to test the compression you want to disable the compression releases and crank it till the gauge will not move further dont worry about whether it is 3 turns or 8 turns.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 22 queries.